Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past week I've been hanging out in Beverly Hills. You know, lounging by the pool, checking out the cars, and hanging out with DJ Khaled. The problem is, cars that used to excite me just don't do it anymore. For example, I've attached some photos of some of the more interesting cars I seen. Ford GT, Lamborghini Huracan, Ferrari F12, F40, the usual. And I even got to sit in a certain Rolls Royce (thanks to the valet) It was cool and everything, but something seemed to be lacking. Then, notice the really noteworthy final image I have attached. A true supercar spotted in the wild!!! Now this one got me excited. I guess I just don't get as excited about other cars anymore because of the Focus ST. Nothing quite amounts to it. I guess you could say I'm spoiled. Anyone else had similar experiences?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I sort of agree with you, like obviously those other cars are "better", but I have thought about it and can't figure out when I could ever in my life really use it to it's potential. Even at a track I probably wouldn't be able to control some of those things when pushed. The ST is something you can push in a everyday setting which is what I think makes it so fun.

Put a gun to my head and I pick that GT 10/10 though.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I agree those cars are pretty amazing. Was joking just a bit :wink: I really did get more excited to see hat ST though!

·
Registered
1 Posts
... but something seemed to be lacking. Then, notice the really noteworthy final image I have attached. A true supercar spotted in the wild!!! Now this one got me excited. I guess I just don't get as excited about other cars anymore because of the Focus ST. Nothing quite amounts to it. I guess you could say I'm spoiled. Anyone else had similar experiences?
You're simply viewing these vehicles from a practical more personal perspective. You couldn't imagine one as a daily driver. The places you would take your ST, you would be afraid to take an F-40. What if a shopping cart were to hit it? Or you encountered a large speed bump that couldn't be cleared safely? Would you really want your precious F-40 to be sullied by rain or road salt? You would never want to hoon about in a Rolls, and the upkeep on a Ford GT is terribly expensive from what I understand.

While the above vehicles are exceptional feats of technology, engineering and luxury, short of taking those vehicles to a track, you would never get to experience them in the same way you do your ST, and therein lies the magic of the cars that we drive. They strike the perfect balance of practicality, reliability, performance, efficiency, and fun. A car guy's car.

·
Registered
428 Posts
While I think the OP's assertions can be taken with tongue firmly in cheek, I do get exactly where the OP is coming from.

My feelings regarding the ST are best summed up in this review. I personally couldn't have said it better myself.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While I think the OP's assertions can be taken with tongue firmly in cheek, I do get exactly where the OP is coming from.

My feelings regarding the ST are best summed up in this review. I personally couldn't have said it better myself.

You hit the nail directly on the head with immense precision! I also agree with your choice of video review. Probably also my favorite review

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Bold statement. However no car deserves to be judged until you drive it.

There are cars you can look at and just know it either sucks, or you're going to hate it, or it's going to be slow. That's how I felt about Miatas. Then I drove one, and yes, of course I felt like I was riding a moped and hoped to God that nobody I knew saw me driving it. Besides being way under powered, it was kind of fun to whip around. Turns out it didn't suck, I didn't hate it but there's a ton of other cars I would rather own.

Comparing a Super Car to anything less can bring positive and negative opinions. Like, my Focus ST hauls the dog around a lot better than this hunk of crap Aventador.

I get where you are going with your post though and it feels great to love your car. I look back on a lot of the cars I've owned and have very fond memories. I've also looked back at some of the cars I've owned and want to punch myself in the crotch for being stupid enough to buy one.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've only driven one supercar - the Audi R8. While it's unquestionably a fantastic car, it's hard to sit behind the wheel and think "this is 6x the car that my ST is". Let's face it, you have virtually zero opportunity to exercise a car like that, and as people have always said, "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow".

There's a corner near me that I've always gotten a kick out of throwing the ST's tail around. Admittedly I was afraid to turn off TC on the R8 (having heard its owner's horror story of doing a 360 in the city once) but I took the same corner in the R8 and it wasn't nearly as exciting.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I would disagree simply because you're kind of comparing apples to oranges.
You have a FoST that you drive and you enjoy it immensely. The other cars, you just took pictures of and sat in one but you haven't driven them, therefore, it's easy to be biased by the Focus.

If you can drive the other cars, then you can make some assessment but chances are that it wouldn't be fair to the Focus since it's a $24K car that you'd pit against $200K+ cars.

·
Registered
247 Posts
My dream one day is to be financially stable enough to own a nice comfy daily driver and then some insane sports car that I drive solely on sunny weekend days. Right now I just can't do that the way I want to so I kill two birds with one stone with the ST. It's not the most comfortable for the commute. Shifting gears in traffic sucks, the ST is not smooth in the highway like say an Accord or any other sedan. However when I want to pretend I'm Ken Block or Matt Farrah in the canyons, the ST is able to do both! It's a jack of all trades. That's why I like it.

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts