Ford Focus ST Forum banner

5221 - 5240 of 5272 Posts

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Im more concerned with the actual increase in volume from 55 to 80mph. Which in my case was 3 decibels, and i can confirm with my ear that increase is entirely wind and road related. So if you wouldn't mind doing the test again and seeing what your increase was more than what the actual numbers were?
Ok...

55 = 74/75db
80 = 80/81db

...so definitely an increase!

·
Registered
903 Posts
So 5-7 dB. Can you confirm that the exhaust is louder than the road and wind noise? You did say you have a Cobb exhaust. Is that with a stock downpipe?

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
So 5-7 dB. Can you confirm that the exhaust is louder than the road and wind noise? You did say you have a Cobb exhaust. Is that with a stock downpipe?
no, I can’t definitively say it’s louder than road noise at cruise, but once you dip into the throttle, then yes absolutely.

Cobb catback, stock down pipe...for now ?

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
I will try to get measurements of my setup but be aware I also have full motor mounts so that increases the nvh that may be picked up

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is probably beaten to a pulp but I couldn't find an answer to my specific question.

I currently have a muffler delete and it's fine for right now but lately I've been looking at catback options for the sake of limiting drone and boominess. My question is, if I go with the borla catback, would it quiet down the exhaust? I am looking at the frpp too but if I can save 100 dollars and get around the same effect I'm going for...Why not?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
This is probably beaten to a pulp but I couldn't find an answer to my specific question.

I currently have a muffler delete and it's fine for right now but lately I've been looking at catback options for the sake of limiting drone and boominess. My question is, if I go with the borla catback, would it quiet down the exhaust? I am looking at the frpp too but if I can save 100 dollars and get around the same effect I'm going for...Why not?

CNT V2 it's 304 stainless steel, dual resonators, no drone at all until you add a downpipe and it's only like $400.

·
Registered
16 Posts
CNT V2 it's 304 stainless steel, dual resonators, no drone at all until you add a downpipe and it's only like $400.
Ah, yes. The reason I'm looking at Borla or FRPP is because of the little sound effects like the burble and pops as well as the other requirements. Tall order, quieter than muffler delete and sound effects...CNT is a strong contender with that price. Availability is meh though.

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Ah, yes. The reason I'm looking at Borla or FRPP is because of the little sound effects like the burble and pops as well as the other requirements. Tall order, quieter than muffler delete and sound effects...CNT is a strong contender with that price. Availability is meh though.
I had the borla for a long time. Loved it. 4 years of ownership. I’ve had it with a stock cat. A 100 cell cat. And a catless Downpipe. Even with a big turbo pushing 28psi. It always sounded great and drone free for the most part. Quite when you wanted it and loud when you got on it with a great exhaust note.The only reason why I upgraded was the fact was a 2.5 in diameter exhaust. I upgraded to the 3.0 in CPE exhaust and I absolutely love that too

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
decibel meter

Good point on the mic and phone discrepancy...

...and I will run it here in a bit, headed out to pick up some RS rims ?
Post some pics!! How much?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the borla for a long time. Loved it. 4 years of ownership. I’ve had it with a stock cat. A 100 cell cat. And a catless Downpipe. Even with a big turbo pushing 28psi. It always sounded great and drone free for the most part. Quite when you wanted it and loud when you got on it with a great exhaust note.The only reason why I upgraded was the fact was a 2.5 in diameter exhaust. I upgraded to the 3.0 in CPE exhaust and I absolutely love that too
Welp, I sprung for the Borla. Hopefully it's better than a muffler delete like I hope it is. If not, at least I'll enjoy the sound. Should I also get the Cobb exhaust hangers? Are they even needed?

·
Registered
108 Posts
It seems to be situational. When I bought my MBRP cat-back I read that some owners needed aftermarket hangers to stop rattles and whatnot and some owners didn't. I ended up being part of the latter group and not having any rubbing or rattling issues with the factory hangers. So, I'd wait and see if have any issues first before spending the money.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There are inexpensive generic polyurethane hangers on amazon. I got some recently and they are just like the cobb hangers.

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Welp, I sprung for the Borla. Hopefully it's better than a muffler delete like I hope it is. If not, at least I'll enjoy the sound. Should I also get the Cobb exhaust hangers? Are they even needed?
My buddy bought my borla off of me and he absolutely loves it. I hear it and miss it sometimes lol. You can if you feel they are needed. I personally did not but the OEM bushings do allow it to move around a lot

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’ll send ya my Cobb hangars if you want em...
Depending on the price, I'll take them off your hands for you.

My buddy bought my borla off of me and he absolutely loves it. I hear it and miss it sometimes lol. You can if you feel they are needed. I personally did not but the OEM bushings do allow it to move around a lot
I've heard good things through my searching. I've just lived with a muffler delete for too long and want to have nicer sound as well as not have a headache and feel fatigued after a long haul with highway driving.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I currently have the Borla cat-back, and am also using the Cobb hangers. They definitely keep the exhaust from moving as much, but in my experience, it brings the muffler up just the slightest bit too much so that it causes the heat shield under the hatch to rattle from time to time. It could be just me, but I figure I'd give my .02 cents.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ain’t no price, I said I would send em ?

BUT...I gotta find em first, lemme dig around this weekend and see, we just moved and they could be anywhere ?
No worries. If you find 'em cool! I'd be happy to have them in my growing list of FoST parts.

5221 - 5240 of 5272 Posts