Ford Focus ST Forum banner

5161 - 5180 of 5190 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cut a section out and throw it in temporarily with some stainless steel band clamps.if you don't like it clamp the section you cut out back in or have it welded back in. Or try something else.
Thanks for the quick response. I'm taking it to a muffler shop, so I dont know what my options are in this respect

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have an 3" Invidia CBE, the system has a hot dog just after the DP and then the rear muffler. It is quite tame so yesterday I decided to take off the rear muffler, it has a flange connection so was easy to r&r about 5 mins. It sounds very loud in the cabin but not to bad on the outside and I am thinking this is because the pipe is not exiting the rear of the car but at the rear axle. I am considering getting a custom axle back made possibly straight piped but am wondering about the drone. With the complete CBE there is no drone, so I am after some peoples experiences as to what I should expect and your advice.
So does the resonator cancel the drone and the muffler reduce the volume?
If so then adding a straight pipe axle back will send the sound out the rear and not bounce off the road into the car?
What should I be listening for when trying to determine if the car will drone, a cabin noise only when steady cruising? So if I cruise at varying RPM's and I have no in cabin noise then it is drone free?
What about acceleration, I believe you should expect a noise on acceleration but how much?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Installed my Flowmaster this weekend and love the way it sounds. Drove it up north here in Michigan and found that it does have some drone around 75 mph depending on how much throttle you use. It has some pops at low RPM and downshifts which i am still enjoying. One thing i wish it had was bigger tips. I think these are 3.5 ovals and just seem little to small compared to other 4" tips out there. Has anyone changed the flowmaster tips to bigger size? here are some pics of the exhaust.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Installed a COBB catback exhaust this weekend; still running stock downpipe. It sounds great, and burbles on deceleration from 3k-2k, and the drone is virtually nonexistent. Not sure why so many people have issues with droning with these exhausts. The worst of it was going uphill on a highway around 3k when it resonates under load, but aside from that it's very mild. Overall a pretty good option for daily driving, and loud enough to hear with a helmet on and open windows on a track.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Anyone has a Flowmaster Outlaw in NY, I am trying to find out if I will have no problem passing NYS inspection and not getting stop by cops for being too loud. I called Flowmaster and asked but of course they couldn't answer....

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Anyone has a Flowmaster Outlaw in NY, I am trying to find out if I will have no problem passing NYS inspection and not getting stop by cops for being too loud. I called Flowmaster and asked but of course they couldn't answer....

You shouldn't have a problem with any Cat-Back exhaust in New York. My inspection guy says that I have to be good up to the cat. Anything after that is Town sound regulations. I'm running a two and a half inch catback with a 100 cell downpipe. I don't have any issues. Obviously I don't floor it right in front of a cop.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
@ G heinrich Thanks! that makes my day, now got to save the money, and convince the wife (harder than getting the money...)

If you want to save money check out the CNT V2 Cat-Back exhaust. That's what I'm running they sell it on eBay and Amazon. It's Abdullah resonator dual 4 inch tip catback. All 304 stainless. With the stock downpipe there's no drone at all. And it's only $400.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
If you want to save money check out the CNT V2 Cat-Back exhaust. That's what I'm running they sell it on eBay and Amazon. It's Abdullah resonator dual 4 inch tip catback. All 304 stainless. With the stock downpipe there's no drone at all. And it's only $400.

Dual resonator

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice sound and yes cheaper, but it's a 2"1/2 pipping, right?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Nice sound and yes cheaper, but it's a 2"1/2 pipping, right?

Yes it's 2 and 1/2 inch piping. But in general smaller piping equals less drone. It's my understanding that you don't really need 3 inch exhaust until you go big turbo andn your up around 400 horsepower. The tseudo may work for you. But at these prices I doubt a ton of R&d went into them. What's 3 inch piping in only one resonator in the front. I imagine you'd be getting quite a bit of drone. Also with all the flange connections if it's built well It can work in your favor and make lining everything up easy. If it's not you hardly have any room for adjustments.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes it's 2 and 1/2 inch piping. But in general smaller piping equals less drone. It's my understanding that you don't really need 3 inch exhaust until you go big turbo andn your up around 400 horsepower. The tseudo may work for you. But at these prices I doubt a ton of R&d went into them. What's 3 inch piping in only one resonator in the front. I imagine you'd be getting quite a bit of drone. Also with all the flange connections if it's built well It can work in your favor and make lining everything up easy. If it's not you hardly have any room for adjustments.
I got your point but, it's $30 cheaper than the CNT V2 so the R&D must be similar, I can get a few HP and Torque with 3" (I hope) and If you look well at the picture it seems that it is dual resonator (look video) . It's mandrel-bent, made with pretty good stainless steel, I like the sound, the price, and for the drone (if any), I listen to loud music so it will not really affect me much.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I got your point but, it's $30 cheaper than the CNT V2 so the R&D must be similar, I can get a few HP and Torque with 3" (I hope) and If you look well at the picture it seems that it is dual resonator (look video) . It's mandrel-bent, made with pretty good stainless steel, I like the sound, the price, and for the drone (if any), I listen to loud music so it will not really affect me much.
[/QUOT

It's only $10 cheaper. But that's besides the point. If you want a 3" exhaust I'd possibly look at something that doesn't reduce to two and a half at the downpipe. If you plan on swapping to an aftermarket downpipe in the future.France downpipe doesn't seal up while to a two and a half inch flange as I found out. I do make an adapter my welding to flanges together.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's only $10 cheaper. But that's besides the point. If you want a 3" exhaust I'd possibly look at something that doesn't reduce to two and a half at the downpipe. If you plan on swapping to an aftermarket downpipe in the future.France downpipe doesn't seal up while to a two and a half inch flange as I found out. I do make an adapter my welding to flanges together.
I Have my limit in modding my ST the DP is something I am not looking for so far (doesn't bring much more, I would rather go for an intercooler), I am happy with the torque and speed, anyways in NY speed cameras and cops are everywhere so this is good enough, I just want a little extra in the look and sound, I am having fun enough just the way my ST is. I appreciate your recommendation.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Getting my CPE exhaust in Saturday. I’ve had the borla for about 4 years. Catless Downpipe and such and big turbo. I will give everyone an update on what I think.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey guys I recently installed a 3 inch stainless steel downpipe with 200 catalytic converter. I am getting a check engine light and I’m wondering if I should go with a de-fouler, Or maybe a 90° Or straight adapter from Vibrant’?

I can keep resetting the check engine light with my CO BB but it always comes back within a half an hour

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated and also since it is throwing a check engine light do you think it is hurting gas mileage Or performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Hey guys I recently installed a 3 inch stainless steel downpipe with 200 catalytic converter. I am getting a check engine light and I’m wondering if I should go with a de-fouler, Or maybe a 90° Or straight adapter from Vibrant’?

I can keep resetting the check engine light with my CO BB but it always comes back within a half an hour

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated and also since it is throwing a check engine light do you think it is hurting gas mileage Or performance

Yes you need a defouler even with a catted downpipe. I recommend the vibrant J style defouler with medium insert installed. make sure when you install it that has a slight upwards angle once installed so no liquids can collect on the sensor.

·
Registered
350 Posts

Used this with medium insert on my 1320 catless dp w/o issue for 25k+ miles and counting..

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Used this with medium insert on my 1320 catless dp w/o issue for 25k+ miles and counting..

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Looks the same as the vibrant. For half the price.

5161 - 5180 of 5190 Posts