Ford Focus ST Forum banner

5141 - 5160 of 5224 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Fitment was perfect. The kit actually came with a spare hanger isolator too. Mine is an 18 and does not have the 4th isolator with the stock exhaust, so that was a welcome addition instead of buying the Cobb isolators.

I did read that there were some issues with Fitment, however the solution that I read was that they were installing the initial pipe with the resonator turned the wrong way. Once they flipped the pipe around, their fitment was perfect. I was aware of that and payed close attention to placement and had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome thank you. Ours is an 18 also, actually same color and wheels as yours.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
I want to get custom exhaust done with flowmaster muffler where the stock resonator is. Which muffler should I get? I want a deep,burbling sound but not too raspy. Currently having catless dp 😁

·
Registered
192 Posts
I want to get custom exhaust done with flowmaster muffler where the stock resonator is. Which muffler should I get? I want a deep,burbling sound but not too raspy. Currently having catless dp ��
I would look at the dbx series or the pro series from flowmaster, both use laminar technology. I used the pro series shorty and really love the sound of my car and it get lots of good compliments. I have a catless dp with flowmaster outlaw catback. it was origionally very loud and raspy. After adding in the new muffler it sounds way different . louder than stock while cruising but not bothersome, deep tone, burbling letting off gas, lould in a nice deep tone when you step on it, no drone that bothers me at all. I think the pro series is available for 3" systems and the dbx is available for 2.5" systems, expensive but very nice flowmaster mufflers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I want to get custom exhaust done with flowmaster muffler where the stock resonator is. Which muffler should I get? I want a deep,burbling sound but not too raspy. Currently having catless dp ��
I would look at the dbx series or the pro series from flowmaster, both use laminar technology. I used the pro series shorty and really love the sound of my car and it get lots of good compliments. I have a catless dp with flowmaster outlaw catback. it was origionally very loud and raspy. After adding in the new muffler it sounds way different . louder than stock while cruising but not bothersome, deep tone, burbling letting off gas, lould in a nice deep tone when you step on it, no drone that bothers me at all. I think the pro series is available for 3" systems and the dbx is available for 2.5" systems, expensive but very nice flowmaster mufflers.
Do you have a video? Im really interested!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I can make a vid this weekend when I pull my car out and uncover it for its monthly exercise. Although I've posted thousands of pics online over the years I've never posted a vid. I don't have a YouTube account so I will have to figure how to post it. I'm not sure if I can post from my pc directly to this site like pics. If not I have a old photobucket account that's still active that might work, I'll see what I can do. I still have the outlaw resonator on my car and installed the new muffler directly behind it. I will prob one day take the resonator out completely. Its pretty much straight through and doesn't muffle much.

flow5.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can make a vid this weekend when I pull my car out and uncover it for its monthly exercise. Although I've posted thousands of pics online over the years I've never posted a vid. I don't have a YouTube account so I will have to figure how to post it. I'm not sure if I can post from my pc directly to this site like pics. If not I have a old photobucket account that's still active that might work, I'll see what I can do. I still have the outlaw resonator on my car and installed the new muffler directly behind it. I will prob one day take the resonator out completely. Its pretty much straight through and doesn't muffle much.

View attachment 360103
I came across your thread before. I think that resonator is what help with droning with your exhaust

·
Registered
192 Posts
The Pro series muffler is supposed to help the droning it was real bad with just the outlaw cb by itself. Heres a little sound vid that sounds just like what I hear,. Vid took on a sony ar73 in hd not 4k.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I just finished installing the AWE Track Edition on my car last night, and it's loud. Like holy balls loud. I had been running a Magnaflow CBE for a while now, and loved how it sounded, but not that it was just 2-1/2". My car is big turbo and I'm planning to add aux fuel soon and shoot for low 400s, so I wanted to go to a 3" exhaust. Aside from buying the "conversion" kit from AWE, which is ridiculously priced for a piece of pipe and muffler IMO, what can I do to tone it down? Has anyone else done the same?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just finished installing the AWE Track Edition on my car last night, and it's loud. Like holy balls loud. I had been running a Magnaflow CBE for a while now, and loved how it sounded, but not that it was just 2-1/2". My car is big turbo and I'm planning to add aux fuel soon and shoot for low 400s, so I wanted to go to a 3" exhaust. Aside from buying the "conversion" kit from AWE, which is ridiculously priced for a piece of pipe and muffler IMO, what can I do to tone it down? Has anyone else done the same?
I dont know of anything you can do other than buy the kit or have an exhaust shop add a muffler to it. I have the track and a catted dp, I kinda hate myself lol! But it sounds so good that I kinda like it and wanna keep it. I really wanna get an exhaust made that has a valve so I can open and close it whenever I want.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Is there any way to get some sharp bangs from an exhaust without going for a resonator, muffler or cat delete?

Background:
I have a Bastuck 2,75" stainless exhaust with resonator and rear muffler and the equivalent 200 cell DP for it. I'm running a Stratified P&C map (loud version) and it gives me some pops on deceleration. Yet it's more like "blobbloblob", but I want some of them gunshot-like sharp bangs like the RS models (especially the Mk2) have.

Ideally, I want it to happen sporadically, not all the time as that would be pretty annoying.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Is there any way to get some sharp bangs from an exhaust without going for a resonator, muffler or cat delete?

Background:
I have a Bastuck 2,75" stainless exhaust with resonator and rear muffler and the equivalent 200 cell DP for it. I'm running a Stratified P&C map (loud version) and it gives me some pops on deceleration. Yet it's more like "blobbloblob", but I want some of them gunshot-like sharp bangs like the RS models (especially the Mk2) have.

Ideally, I want it to happen sporadically, not all the time as that would be pretty annoying.
More than likely a tune will do it, but its not a good idea to do so catted, as it will cause damage over time.

I also don't believe it's too good for engine longevity.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This has probably been asked a hundred times, but is a catback upgrade only for the sound?

I'm interested in installing a 3" catted downpipe, while retaining the stock CBE. (I like the stock exhaust!)

I'm looking at going "stage 3ish". COBB have stated a full turbo-back is required for stage 3. Is this really the case, isn't the downpipe the only main restrictive pipe here?

Also, after putting a downpipe in, is a tune that takes the downpipe into account necessary straight after install? Will it throw out the ECU or something, warning lights etc?

If running an aftermarket intake, FMIC and downpipe, am I good for a stage 2 or 3 COBB tune? Will I need a custom tune?

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
This has probably been asked a hundred times, but is a catback upgrade only for the sound?
Mostly for the sound, I think.

I'm interested in installing a 3" catted downpipe, while retaining the stock CBE. (I like the stock exhaust!)
I'm looking at going "stage 3ish". COBB have stated a full turbo-back is required for stage 3. Is this really the case, isn't the downpipe the only main restrictive pipe here?
If running an aftermarket intake, FMIC and downpipe, am I good for a stage 2 or 3 COBB tune? Will I need a custom tune?
Go with a custom tune. Or at least an OTS map of a reputable tuner. Most of them are already way better than the Cobb OTS maps.
Also, they'll probably be able to give you a stage 3-ish map even with stock cbe.

Also, after putting a downpipe in, is a tune that takes the downpipe into account necessary straight after install? Will it throw out the ECU or something, warning lights etc?
If you have a catted downpipe and keep the o² sensor aktive, you shouldn't need a tune. My car didn't throw a code in 4 years.
If you go catless, you'll need a defouler and probably a tune as well.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
More than likely a tune will do it, but its not a good idea to do so catted, as it will cause damage over time.

I have a metallic cat, so that should be fine. I know the ceramic ones don't like pops and bangs.
Do you have any further information regarding engine longevity?

·
Registered
503 Posts

I have a metallic cat, so that should be fine. I know the ceramic ones don't like pops and bangs.
Do you have any further information regarding engine longevity?
Unfortunately I dont have much info on engine longevity, just anecdotal evidence from various users. Some say it's not helping your rods/pistons/ringlands.

Maybe someone here with experience can chime in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys, I just installed an mbrp 3inch catback on my car and the drone is way more than I can handle, would adding a second resonator behind the first help at all?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure if it's been addressed yet (I've been looking for some time] but has anyone tried out the Flowmaster FlowFX straight through muffler? Specifically with a resonator delete? I've got one sitting here and I'm skeptical to have it welded on because I have no clue how its gonna sound. Anyone have a similar setup with any insight on sound, drone, volume, etc? Says moderate sound level but who knows what that could mean...

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Not sure if it's been addressed yet (I've been looking for some time] but has anyone tried out the Flowmaster FlowFX straight through muffler? Specifically with a resonator delete? I've got one sitting here and I'm skeptical to have it welded on because I have no clue how its gonna sound. Anyone have a similar setup with any insight on sound, drone, volume, etc? Says moderate sound level but who knows what that could mean...

Cut a section out and throw it in temporarily with some stainless steel band clamps.if you don't like it clamp the section you cut out back in or have it welded back in. Or try something else.

5141 - 5160 of 5224 Posts