181 - 200 of 259 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Well, if money were no object...

View attachment 379028
S30v, in a 2k knife. **** that noise.

I dont do customs or a lot of mid techs for reasons like that.

There is diminishing returns once the price starts to go up.

For manual folders, i won't drop more than 350-400 unless it's something real special, or maybe a Chris Reeve.

For OTF the budget goes to 500 ish for me. Otf are more intricate, machinig costs and assembly are big factors in price.

Fixed blades, around 300 is my cap. It's just a hunk of steel with handles. How much better can it be past that, 300 bucks already covered a nice sheath and high end materials. Theres no hand fitting of moving parts, or locking mechanisms.

Once you start going over these prices, you run into a bunch of "paying for a name", you already met the cost of all the high end materials. Carbon fiber, titanium, M390, Elmax.

Granted theres the cool factor, or collectability of the knife, but as far as functionality, its not going to be a big difference from a 300 dollar folder to a 900 plus folder. I use all my knives, none of them are off limits. So I keep my budget to reflect that.

·
Super Moderator
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Oh I have a limit too...

...sometimes she lets me buy things, sometimes she doesn’t 😂
When I first started dating my girl, I had a box on my counter. I pointed to to it, and said that's 2500 dollars. Welcome to my hobbies. She said " It's your money, your hobbies, who am I to say anything"

Thankfully, she still doesn't give me crap for my purchases. Huge win, especially for me and my craziness, lmfao

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
When I first started dating my girl, I had a box on my counter. I pointed to to it, and said that's 2500 dollars. Welcome to my hobbies. She said " It's your money, your hobbies, who am I to say anything"

Thankfully, she still doesn't give me crap for my purchases. Huge win, especially for me and my craziness, lmfao
lol, same...my wife had no idea how bad my car addiction was, until we had been married for about a year and I drug home my third project which was 1979 bronco and a 1974 Lincoln, to put the Lincoln 460 into the Bronco (first was Supercharging a 1993 Ford Lightning, second was building a 427 for my 1969 SS Camaro) she started to make a derogatory comment, and my response was something along the lines of “it’s either cars or women, take your pick” and she has never questioned me since...as long as it doesn’t affect the bills of course 😎

·
Registered
429 Posts
I picked up a cheap beater OTF a while back and thinking about getting a nicer one, but kind of torn between the UTX-85 (about $240) and the Dirac (about $280). Any comments or other recommendations?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
I picked up a cheap beater OTF a while back and thinking about getting a nicer one, but kind of torn between the UTX-85 (about $240) and the Dirac (about $280). Any comments or other recommendations?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I dont like how smooth the handles of the ultratech lineup is. The regular Troodon on the other hand, is grippy and teh sex.

Why a 85percent sized ultratech? A fullsize one is still pretty small. I like the extra real estate when firing and closer it.

Im not sure how I feel about the dirac, the button is going to dig into whatever leg/pocket you put it in. The regular style microtechs will carry better. Not that the firing button is huge, but its going to be noticeable.

If you plan on a sheath, and belt carry, then my Dirac point is moot.

What style blade you thinking? Single edge or double?

I like their double edged spear points, and their bayonet edge is sexy.

What are you mostly going to do with it?

·
Super Moderator
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #187

·
Super Moderator
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #188

·
Registered
429 Posts
I dont like how smooth the handles of the ultratech lineup is. The regular Troodon on the other hand, is grippy and teh sex.

Why a 85percent sized ultratech? A fullsize one is still pretty small. I like the extra real estate when firing and closer it.

Im not sure how I feel about the dirac, the button is going to dig into whatever leg/pocket you put it in. The regular style microtechs will carry better. Not that the firing button is huge, but its going to be noticeable.

If you plan on a sheath, and belt carry, then my Dirac point is moot.

What style blade you thinking? Single edge or double?

I like their double edged spear points, and their bayonet edge is sexy.

What are you mostly going to do with it?
I was kind of leaning towards those two to be different than the usual "get an Ultratech", lol. Was mostly looking in the $250-300 range, and I know that there are a lot in that range within and outside of Microtech.

Blade style that I was looking at was going to be double-edged/dagger. The plan would be for it to be an occasional EDC knife.

Also, I have looked at several of the merlot Ultratechs and they do look really good.

·
Super Moderator
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
I was kind of leaning towards those two to be different than the usual "get an Ultratech", lol. Was mostly looking in the $250-300 range, and I know that there are a lot in that range within and outside of Microtech.

Blade style that I was looking at was going to be double-edged/dagger. The plan would be for it to be an occasional EDC knife.

Also, I have looked at several of the merlot Ultratechs and they do look really good.
Well the utx70 and 85 are just smaller Ultratechs, the number references the percentage of the original. So 70 percent, and 85 percent respectively. Making them, pretty tiny.

What hand size do you have?

The Troodon is a bit more expensive, but its definitely not "Just get an ultratech". I wish I got a troodon instead of the ultratech i currently have. A troodon is smaller than an ultratech though in length, but has a bit more meat to hold onto.

Favorite colors?

I can hunt through my normal microtech sources for something that fits your bill perfect.

When it comes to all the choices (blade styles, colors, etc) I find that you shouldn't compromise. Pull the trigger on the one you really want, or wait until it pops up.

·
Super Moderator
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #191

Two zombietechs, a copper top, and the murdered out tactical Troodon. The tanto single edge is quite sharp, oh geez I'm sorrry for the knife pun. Ugh

Smkw.com has quite the selection right now.

·
Registered
2016 Magnetic Metallic Focus ST
19 Posts
I finally got a couple pictures. I have stuck with the same things for quite some time now (aside from knives, which are on constant rotation) because if you find what works, why change it. But I figured I'd make my contribution and post a couple things!

This is what I've been carrying for the most part on the daily. There are a few more knives around if you all are curious, but those are the ones I usually go for when choosing what to carry for the day.
For the less recognizable things, I had the wallet made by Keystone Leather Shop. It's ran by one guy and it takes a while to get because he currently lives in Norway, but he makes quality stuff at good prices. I believe he has an Etsy shop if you guys are interested. My other wallet of choice is the Union wallet from Leather Works Minnesota. I'll post a picture if I can find one. The watch is a Victorinox Alliance in black.
Also, I rarely see them but the little pry bar I keep on my keys is one of the most useful things I carry. It saves my knives from the grunt work. The one I have is made by Grindworx and was free from BladeHQ when ordering something, haha.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here is a picture of the Union wallet. Last I checked this color combo isn't available on their site anymore, but they have tons of good options.

I also have a Foursevens Preon P1 in copper that gets carried from time to time. It just isn't as bright or convenient as the Streamlight Microstream USB that's usually in my pockets, and just because it tickles my giggles, here's a lume pic of the Alliance.

·
Super Moderator
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #195

·
Super Moderator
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Okay, I need this in my life!
Yeah, I got one of my buddies to snag one as well. I am super excited for the blade shape and S30v.

Better get it before it's gone, which is like now, lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just logged in to pick it up and it's already out of stock. 😭

·
Super Moderator
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
I just logged in to pick it up and it's already out of stock. 😭
Yeah, early bird and all.

Well, kershaw is now doing sprint runs, so there will be more cool stuff. I'd be down for a sprint skyline XL.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yeah, early bird and all.

Well, kershaw is now doing sprint runs, so there will be more cool stuff. I'd be down for a sprint skyline XL.
I like my Shuffle, but I am also tempted by the copper Natrix. Kershaw has some cool knives that would make for great sprints.

181 - 200 of 259 Posts