Ford Focus ST Forum banner

161 - 180 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Nice progress! Wish I would have had one yesterday!!
A Big public Thank You for your help with the measurement, Tate's. Here's a look at where the support you measured will go:

image-866399155.jpg

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Really nice work. The subtle changes make good sense. As all, I look forward to seeing a finished prototype
TinMan, considering your experience and knowledge in this area in particular, that means a lot. Much appreciated. JP

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
JP,
Very nice. Besides a great product, you have allowed alot of members to at least get a cursory understanding of the design and development process. I think that this processs has collectively benefited all of the vendors and members. From the outside, as evidenced by some members posts throughout various vendors threads, some have no idea what it takes to develop a product and can be a bit "assaholia". Correlate that directly to items like suspension, intakes, BOV, etc. and it takes time and money to develop parts. From the time someone wakes up in the middle of the night with brain fart or that 12th can of beer epiphany to "check the number of items in you cart" is a long and twisted road.

The only exception to this rule is an "unmentioned vendor" who is still standing at the end of his driveway, two years later, waiting for UPS to deliver a carbon fiber prototype hood from "Harvey The Rabbit" developmental group located on an island without phone service who I think may be related to the same guy, in a country I can't find with Google, who sends me emails about how his rich dictator uncle died and wants to share the money with me and avoid taxes.

JP, nicely done my friend....You have my standing order for everything you develop................

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Yes, Ricky, it's the only way to do it. Once you've taken the Bumper Cover off/on once, it's really pretty quick and easy. JP
It's not necessary to remove the bumper cover to install the FRPP snorkel, despite the recommendation in the install guide as it was determined that there is enough space if you simply unpin the top of the bumper cover and reach in there, remove the rubber shroud to make the cut on a work bench and then insert it and the snorkel back into the car.

It would be easier with full access to the clips and what not, but it's not required.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
JP, Very nice. Besides a great product, you have allowed alot of members to at least get a cursory understanding of the design and development process. I think that this processs has collectively benefited all of the vendors and members. From the outside, as evidenced by some members posts throughout various vendors threads, some have no idea what it takes to develop a product and can be a bit "assaholia". Correlate that directly to items like suspension, intakes, BOV, etc. and it takes time and money to develop parts. From the time someone wakes up in the middle of the night with brain fart or that 12th can of beer epiphany to "check the number of items in you cart" is a long and twisted road. The only exception to this rule is an "unmentioned vendor" who is still standing at the end of his driveway, two years later, waiting for UPS to deliver a carbon fiber prototype hood from "Harvey The Rabbit" developmental group located on an island without phone service who I think may be related to the same guy, in a country I can't find with Google, who sends me emails about how his rich dictator uncle died and wants to share the money with me and avoid taxes. JP, nicely done my friend....You have my standing order for everything you develop................
Thanks DD, now if I could just stop laughing. It's starting to hurt! JP

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
It's not necessary to remove the bumper cover to install the FRPP snorkel, despite the recommendation in the install guide as it was determined that there is enough space if you simply unpin the top of the bumper cover and reach in there, remove the rubber shroud to make the cut on a work bench and then insert it and the snorkel back into the car. It would be easier with full access to the clips and what not, but it's not required.
You're right Suss, it can be done that way. After you've taken the Bumper Cover off once or twice, it seems easier to me to just do that. But, you're absolutely correct that it's not the only way. JP

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Lookin good!

Serious question:
Are the gains worth the trouble of pulling the front bumper off for the install?
JW, I'm not sure if I understand your question. But, if you were asking if the performance gains from installing the Snorkel are worth the effort of pulling the Bumper Cover, then the answer is definitely, "Yes." The temperature of air at the mouth of the grille is substantially lower than that of air under the hood. JP

·
Registered
283 Posts
The only exception to this rule is an "unmentioned vendor" who is still standing at the end of his driveway, two years later, waiting for UPS to deliver a carbon fiber prototype hood from "Harvey The Rabbit" developmental group located on an island without phone service who I think may be related to the same guy, in a country I can't find with Google, who sends me emails about how his rich dictator uncle died and wants to share the money with me and avoid taxes.
lol..."Harvey the Rabbit" finally came through though. There are pics on the thread.

Rocket, Can't wait until your products start rolling out. Keep up the great work and that you for sharing the development process with us!

·
Registered
194 Posts
^^^+1 I'm waiting for a airbox foil / snorkel combo buy in the near future. All this discussion about science and production (although interesting) is not quenching my desire to spend my money.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
lol..."Harvey the Rabbit" finally came through though. There are pics on the thread.
You have to go back and look at the last post (20 minutes after yours) He states there are no pictures, only of mockups and he has decided to make another change and has someone else working on the vents. Harvey The Rabbit is back with his brother Casper the Ghost.............. I still think he is related to the guy emailing me.

I see your status is deployed.........Stay safe and out of harm's way. We will keep you in our thoughts. Let us know when you get back home

·
Registered
283 Posts
You have to go back and look at the last post (20 minutes after yours) He states there are no pictures, only of mockups and he has decided to make another change and has someone else working on the vents. Harvey The Rabbit is back with his brother Casper the Ghost.............. I still think he is related to the guy emailing me.

I see your status is deployed.........Stay safe and out of harm's way. We will keep you in our thoughts. Let us know when you get back home
Hey Thanks man! I'm on the home stretch now so not too much longer over here. There are no pics of the hood yet, but he did have pics of the updated rear diffuser (wasn't installed yet.) Anyways, sorry for thread-jacking! Go Rocket! lol

·
Registered
306 Posts
Has anyone looked into having soft piping from, next to the fog light bent up and into the bottom side ( or into the side) of the air box?
I just have a vision of something attached to the bumper behind the black grille next to the fog, soft piped and attached to the bottom side of the air box.

Nothing would need to be 3-D printed, unless u want the piece behind the grille to be form fitted (which would be awesome).
Yes the angle would create some issues for air flow, but u would have sooo much air i dont think it would be a problem.

Does anyone have a solidworks rough layout of our car?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ken block has something very similar but he has a big tube where the fog light used to be. I saw make a piece that connects behind the grille so it still looks stock.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
J, very interesting question. I know Ford Parts has exploded views, but they aren't arranged like Solidworks. It would be very helpful. I'm meeting with CAD engineers on Friday. I'll ask them to see what's available. JP

161 - 180 of 189 Posts