Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For any of you who have shown an interest in an alternative to the FRPP cold air Snorkel, I just thought I'd post this update. The engineers at PacifiCad have the base file largely complete. This is what we will build upon and modify for performance improvements. It will also allow us to proceed with some initial experiments at "growing" a Snorkel. That's right, I'm going to push the envelope to the very limit, to see if we can 3-D Print an end use product. Some astute observers may notice that the horizontal angle (~30 degree) at the point of attachment to our intake, is not present in this model. That's because we'll be growing some alternative attachment methods in a MakerBot, to test some new ideas. Those will be separate files. Look for additional updates late next week. Thanks for all the interest and support. JP

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,551 Posts
It would be nice if the intake end was flared open a bit.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be nice if the intake end was flared open a bit.
It very likely will be, Fred. The CFD modeling will be done in conjunction with the other changes. This is simply the base file to which the modifications will be made.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I hope you will be able to price it right so people buy it. I have mine but I wish you succes with this part.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oooh me wanty me wanty. Keep up the good work man!
Thanks Steve. I'll try to get some pics of it being "grown" in the printer. We'll use the MakerBot for portions of the Snorkel, such as those mentioned by Fred. We'll need Stratasys machines if we grow the final product. JP

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope you will be able to price it right so people buy it. I have mine but I wish you succes with this part.
Me too, Mon Ami. It really is the main reason for taking on the project. What do you think is a fair price? JP

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Me too, Mon Ami. It really is the main reason for taking on the project. What do you think is a fair price? JP
I really don't know. Like I said, I paid 175$ for the FRPP one (Snorkle and filter) on a group buy and I'm ok with that. People are cheap these days.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I really don't know. Like I said, I paid 175$ for the FRPP one (Snorkle and filter) on a group buy and I'm ok with that. People are cheap these days.
Yeah, people will pay $300 for an intake pipe that has a very minimal/almost non-existent performance increase, but complain about $175 for a snorkel that is a true CAI. $175 was a fair price to me for the snorkel and filter, I would think $100 would be a fair price for your snorkel alone. If you modify it to have a wider inlet, put me down for one, even though I already have the frpp.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
IDK that people are cheap Kent, but they don't want to feel violated either, $175 for a filter and a plastic tube makes me feel ripped off. I can totally afford it but I never bought it as this just felt like a butt you know what. I think less the $100 you will sell a lot, $75 you will sell a ton so it just comes out to what you costs are and how many more you feel you will sell at a lower price will you actually make more? I'm in the about $75 category, I have a nice FMIC but I would spend $75 more to give it a hand and help out in traffic and sitting at a stop light.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Yeah, people will pay $300 for an intake pipe that has a very minimal/almost non-existent performance increase, but complain about $175 for a snorkel that is a true CAI. $175 was a fair price to me for the snorkel and filter, I would think $100 would be a fair price for your snorkel alone. If you modify it to have a wider inlet, put me down for one, even though I already have the frpp.
"Yeah, people will pay $300 for an intake pipe that has a very minimal/almost non-existent performance increase"

Yeah that also makes me feel violated hence you will not see that on my car.

·
Registered
523 Posts
IDK that people are cheap Kent, but they don't want to feel violated either, $175 for a filter and a plastic tube makes me feel ripped off. I can totally afford it but I never bought it as this just felt like a butt you know what. I think less the $100 you will sell a lot, $75 you will sell a ton so it just comes out to what you costs are and how many more you feel you will sell at a lower price will you actually make more? I'm in the about $75 category, I have a nice FMIC but I would spend $75 more to give it a hand and help out in traffic and sitting at a stop light.
I bet if it said Cobb, or Mountune people would be all over it for $175. More has been spent on these brand name parts that offer less benefit.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I bet if it said Cobb, or Mountune people would be all over it for $175. More has been spent on these brand name parts that offer less benefit.
Exactly.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
For any of you who have shown an interest in an alternative to the FRPP cold air Snorkel, I just thought I'd post this update. The engineers at PacifiCad have the base file largely complete. This is what we will build upon and modify for performance improvements. It will also allow us to proceed with some initial experiments at "growing" a Snorkel. That's right, I'm going to push the envelope to the very limit, to see if we can 3-D Print an end use product. Some astute observers may notice that the horizontal angle (~30 degree) at the point of attachment to our intake, is not present in this model. That's because we'll be growing some alternative attachment methods in a MakerBot, to test some new ideas. Those will be separate files. Look for additional updates late next week. Thanks for all the interest and support. JP
And a hint for you my friend. Dyno sheet.

And this part fits on ST and SE ford focus 2012+. At least, the FRPP one fitted on my ST and is now installed on my SE. Maybe you can sell some more if you market it for SE and ST.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

TNG, There's been a lot of interest in widening the Snorkel inlet; as Fred, Alex and others have suggested. This will be near the top of the list for improvements. Thanks for your input. JP

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm interested. Message me when the final product is ready.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And a hint for you my friend. Dyno sheet.

And this part fits on ST and SE ford focus 2012+. At least, the FRPP one fitted on my ST and is now installed on my SE. Maybe you can sell some more if you market it for SE and ST.
Wow. I did not know that the FRPP also fit the SE. That's welcome news, as we'll be using the same basic fitment points. I'll be sure to post up all the test data, particularly temp data. Thanks Kent. JP

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm interested. Message me when the final product is ready.
TryTo, will do for sure. We'll handle it like a Group Buy, to get the lowest possible price. Thanks, JP

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, TNG, I'll being doing everything possible to attack that price. With the support of the members here, I believe it can be much lower. And at the same time, I believe there are performance gains to be had as well. JP

1 - 20 of 189 Posts