Ford Focus ST Forum banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
@Sonic Raptor. Nice work man. You're the first member I know of that tried an install without removing the Bumper Cover. But then, you had all that help from the kids. Thanks for posting up the pics. Have a great New Year, JP

·
Registered
80 Posts
@Sonic Raptor. Nice work man. You're the first member I know of that tried an install without removing the Bumper Cover. But then, you had all that help from the kids. Thanks for posting up the pics. Have a great New Year, JP
Ah yes, the "help". My favorite part was when I got everything buttoned back up and my 3yr old come out to "check on daddy" again. I was showing her the installation with a flashlight. She then ran inside the house with the flashlight, a glove, and a torx driver (conveniently sitting on my roll-around chair) to announce that she helped daddy install his "air tubey". Priceless.

Seriously though, just followed your advice and looked up the "How-To" from the FR CAI version.

A few "lessons learned" that I would share with the team:
(1) Rolled up towels or an extra set of hands is definitely the way to go.
(2) Cutting out the hole cleanly is fairly difficult given the space constraints. I used a Kobalt 28-Piece Lockback Utility Knife Set to cut the shroud. The linoleum and hook versions worked the best. Keep bandages nearby.
(3) The neoprene block did not like to be bent while attempting to get the snorkel through the opening given the limited space. I ended up having the fish it out and reattach it while the snorkel was secured in place.

I will be glad to help answer any other questions that get sent your way regarding this "style" of installation.

·
Registered
80 Posts
On a slightly related note... any thought of similar Snorkels for the other 2.0L ECOs? I just happened to be cleaning the K&N out of the wife's Escape and noticed a similar setup that could benefit from a snorkel (although maybe oriented down since it is missing a good grille). Not sure about the Explorers or the Fusions.

Also, ignorant on the 1.6L setups, but another potential.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
Ah yes, the "help". My favorite part was when I got everything buttoned back up and my 3yr old come out to "check on daddy" again. I was showing her the installation with a flashlight. She then ran inside the house with the flashlight, a glove, and a torx driver (conveniently sitting on my roll-around chair) to announce that she helped daddy install his "air tubey". Priceless.

Seriously though, just followed your advice and looked up the "How-To" from the FR CAI version.

A few "lessons learned" that I would share with the team:
(1) Rolled up towels or an extra set of hands is definitely the way to go.
(2) Cutting out the hole cleanly is fairly difficult given the space constraints. I used a Kobalt 28-Piece Lockback Utility Knife Set to cut the shroud. The linoleum and hook versions worked the best. Keep bandages nearby.
(3) The neoprene block did not like to be bent while attempting to get the snorkel through the opening given the limited space. I ended up having the fish it out and reattach it while the snorkel was secured in place.

I will be glad to help answer any other questions that get sent your way regarding this "style" of installation.
Sonic, yes I heard that the "linoleum knife" was the best way to go. And you're right about the Neoprene mount. It's easy with the Bumper Cover off, but I can imagine it would be difficult with the space constraints of the Cover on. I'll definitely point guys in your direction if they want info on going that route.

I have a wonderful mental picture of the "air tubey" escapade. Priceless indeed. You're a lucky man. Thank you, JP

Ed.: I've wondered about cross-platform configs as well. I understand it'll fit the other Foci, but I'll check others as well. It might be the key to another run.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hey JP finally got around to installing mine today. The crash beam on the German built STs is different and essentially the mounting block doesn't have anything to sit on except the upper shroud.

So I ended up not using a mounting block as it was also quite visible thru the grille. Hopefully the snorkel mounts hold up without the mounting block

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Hey JP finally got around to installing mine today. The crash beam on the German built STs is different and essentially the mounting block doesn't have anything to sit on except the upper shroud.

So I ended up not using a mounting block as it was also quite visible thru the grille. Hopefully the snorkel mounts hold up without the mounting block
Looks great. And it'll be just fine the way you have it. The RS retainers are much, much stronger than stock. And the flange is 110% thicker than the FRPP. We wanted to see how stout they were, so we put just one retainer in and a 200lb guy, pulling with both hands, couldn't get it to budge.
That baby isn't going anywhere. I guarantee it. Nice work, and thanks for the pics. JP

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Here's a good install write-up from @BBrock293 reposted from the "Production" Thread:

"I got my snorkel installed a week ago and I wanted to take some time to give my feedback on the product and installation. Overall, I am really pleased with it. Well built and there is a definite difference in throttle response and turbo spooling. At WOT I haven't noticed anything, but I didn't really expect to. In day to day driving, there is a definite difference. No change in sound, other than increased BPV sound outside the car.

I have some tips on the install that I feel can be really helpful. I had planned on trying to do the install without taking the front cover off but decided I wasn't going to do a crap job if it became a chore. Installing this without the cover removal I would not recommend. On that note, I didn't take the whole cover off because you don't have to. I removed the clips on the upper bumper cover and the hood release cable. I removed the headlights which are only two phillips screws. I then pushed the two tabs on the front cover down (where the headlights were). Once that was done, I remove a couple of screws from the fender liner and popped the cover from the fender. Once this was done, it allowed the entire front cover to come away from the front of the car by about 6 inches. I reached in and pushed in the two tabs to release the rubber radiator shroud (the one that we are cutting into) and easily removed it from the car. I took it to my workbench, used the included blueprints, and cut the whole for the snorkel. I re-installed the rubber shroud, fed the snorkel through the hole, and attached it to the car. After that, I cleaned the bottom of the snorkel with an alcohol wipe and put the rubber pad underneath the end of the snorkel to rest on the shroud. It probably wasn't needed, but I figure the extra support wouldn't hurt and you can't see it unless you really look for it. I got the cover re-attached in about 2 minutes and I didn't have to worry about the engine cover, etc."

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Here's a good install write-up from @BBrock293 reposted from the "Production" Thread:

"I got my snorkel installed a week ago and I wanted to take some time to give my feedback on the product and installation. Overall, I am really pleased with it. Well built and there is a definite difference in throttle response and turbo spooling. At WOT I haven't noticed anything, but I didn't really expect to. In day to day driving, there is a definite difference. No change in sound, other than increased BPV sound outside the car.

I have some tips on the install that I feel can be really helpful. I had planned on trying to do the install without taking the front cover off but decided I wasn't going to do a crap job if it became a chore. Installing this without the cover removal I would not recommend. On that note, I didn't take the whole cover off because you don't have to. I removed the clips on the upper bumper cover and the hood release cable. I removed the headlights which are only two phillips screws. I then pushed the two tabs on the front cover down (where the headlights were). Once that was done, I remove a couple of screws from the fender liner and popped the cover from the fender. Once this was done, it allowed the entire front cover to come away from the front of the car by about 6 inches. I reached in and pushed in the two tabs to release the rubber radiator shroud (the one that we are cutting into) and easily removed it from the car. I took it to my workbench, used the included blueprints, and cut the whole for the snorkel. I re-installed the rubber shroud, fed the snorkel through the hole, and attached it to the car. After that, I cleaned the bottom of the snorkel with an alcohol wipe and put the rubber pad underneath the end of the snorkel to rest on the shroud. It probably wasn't needed, but I figure the extra support wouldn't hurt and you can't see it unless you really look for it. I got the cover re-attached in about 2 minutes and I didn't have to worry about the engine cover, etc."
I did essentially the same thing. Save a lot of time!

Bobby9621 Build Sponsored by edgeautosport sent from mobile

·
Registered
80 Posts
@RocketST - Any of your clients used your snorkels with the FRPP setup? I just picked up the plugs and procal (yippee for tax refunds!) and plan on getting the installation accomplished on Saturday. Just wondering if there is anything else I should know or plan for.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
@RocketST - Any of your clients used your snorkels with the FRPP setup? I just picked up the plugs and procal (yippee for tax refunds!) and plan on getting the installation accomplished on Saturday. Just wondering if there is anything else I should know or plan for.

Thanks in advance!
Sonic, sounds like a great weekend to me. You're going to have some big fun with FRPP Tune. It's a real tire toaster. You'll be the first I've heard about to have the Rocket Science CAI Snorkel with the FR Tune. Nobody has ever said, "I didn't notice much difference...", with the FRPP Tune. Good Luck and have fun. JP

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sonic, sounds like a great weekend to me. You're going to have some big fun with FRPP Tune. It's a real tire toaster. You'll be the first I've heard about to have the Rocket Science CAI Snorkel with the FR Tune. Nobody has ever said, "I didn't notice much difference...", with the FRPP Tune. Good Luck and have fun. JP
Or maybe to be the first to have the RS CAI Snorkel, RS Rocket Wrap, and the FR Tune... :) That is, assuming I can get some time in the garage for the "wrapping" prep work and execution. I even have a spare lid that I picked up waiting for the application. Darn kids...

And, you bring up a good point. Probably need to keep the TC on to keep more of that rubber on the tires and less decorating the streets.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
There are presently no plans, but I'll certainly let you know if that changes. Thanks for all the support. JP

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'd be in for one too if you ever decide to do a second run...you should think about it :crazy:

·
Registered
74 Posts
^^^ I'd be in for one as well

61 - 80 of 97 Posts