Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first RS Snorkels shipped out today, so I wanted to start this Thread in order to provide a place for Forum Members to ask any questions they may have about their New RS Snorkel, as well as to provide a place to share their Tips and Experiences regarding its installation and use.

Along with the RS Snorkel, be sure to check your package for additional parts. There's a Template, 3 Retainer Clips, an alcohol cleaning swab, and a bag with several 1" x 2" self adhesive Neoprene Mounting Blocks.

The Nylon Retainer Clips replace the light duty stock clips. There are three in your package. One is a spare, in case one "disappears". These Heavy Duty Clips will secure your Snorkel tighter, reduce movement, and are much stronger than the Stock Clips. Because they were chosen to reduce the floppy fit of the stock clips, they will require more force to install. We found that using the handle of a screwdriver works well for fully seating the clips. Just push 'em in. Hard.

I've included a full scale Template for positioning the hole that you'll need to cut in the Shroud. I, like many others, run "Shroud Delete"; so this will be unnecessary for them. The Template is on heavy card stock, and you'll need to cut it out on the appropriate lines. The hole is sized to reduce air bypass, so you'll need to insert the Snorkel at an angle when pushing it through the hole, and you'll need to "stretch" the hole a bit.

The included Alcohol swab is used to remove any residue (e.g., mold release) from the "Mounting Rest" before attaching the self adhesive Neoprene Mounting Block. The Mounting Rest is the flat 1" x 2" molded area on the underside of the intake end of the Snorkel. There are several sizes of Neoprene mounting blocks included with your Snorkel, and you can see a photo of the Mounting Block at Post #93 of the Thread: "RS Snorkel Production Begins". If you are running with the Shroud, you'll use the large (1" thick) block. Simply peel the backing paper off and expose the adhesive. Then swab the mounting rest, and affix the block to the rest. I've tested this adhesive from -10*F to 140*F, and it's stronger than the Neoprene. The Neoprene Block is very high density closed cell material that is unaffected by oils, gasoline, etc., and will not absorb water.

If you are running Shroud Delete, you'll affix the 3/16" neoprene block to the large block, creating a 1 and 3/16" mount. I've also included a 1/2" block, a 3/4" block and a double-sided 1/16"; so those who may have another configuration (e.g., crash bar cover delete) can configure a mount that works for them. Most will simply use the large block.

There are numerous Forum Threads that outline the procedure for doing a Snorkel Install. Just search: "Focus ST Snorkel Install", for the experiences of other forum members. Many have photo help, and there are a couple that outline the Install without removing the Bumper Cover. Here is a link to the Ford procedure:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-9603-FST.pdf

The Bumper Cover Removal seems like a big job, but it's not. If any of you have questions about it, I'll be happy to answer them. Any members that want to post up their experience here, are most welcome. JP

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a pic of the "Mounting Rest", and a shot with the "Mounting Block" installed:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
^^^Lol! Brilliant idea, my 2 and 6 year olds have fun in "the racecar", so I can buy parts and give them as gifts to them!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a question: Where is my snorkel? You better ship mine soon. My son can't wait for his Christmas gift. :banana:
Thunder, I'm working on batch #2. Invoices will go out later this week. It sure looks like you're in for a very Merry Christmas. JP

·
Registered
35 Posts
How much are these? Please quote me or PM me.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
35 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
472 Posts
I couldn't wait any longer and had nothing else to do today so I decided to install my snorkel.

Bumper removal was pretty easy. There are other guides posted online how to do it. I was changing oil today too so the shroud underneath had to come out anyways. Just a bunch of torx screws and plastic rivets. I decided to remove the bumper because i have big hands and didn't want to put too much stress on the bumper by trying to squeeze them underneath the upper shroud.

Template lined up for cutting

Hole cut in shroud

To remove the stock piece there are two of those two piece plastic rivets. If you removed the bumper you know how these work (pop middle up, remove). Feed snorkel through hole and slide top end onto the place where you removed the stock piece.

Foam block installed on bottom of snorkel

Install plastic retainers

Put everything back together.

Rocket everything went together perfectly. Really happy with my purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@SteelGatorB8, Thanks so much for Posting your Install. This will help a lot of guys. Your car is gonna love it. JP

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Here's a question I received from @Jalepeno that I thought would be useful to share:

jalapeno said:
JP, I replaced my intercooler, charge pipes, and added your snorkel today.

I thought the snorkel would sit a tad lower than it does. Could you send me a pic of your grill looking at the snorkel thru it?

I forgot to screw down that stupid black bumper thing the snorkel sit on. (Took it off when I changed fmic). It's snapped in, hopefully it doesn't fall before I get around to taking my fascia off to fix it. Haha

Thanks man,
Jal
Hi Jal. First, congratulations. Your car is going to love it. And yes, this is something I'll make a Post about, because it's a little complicated.

I noticed that when I did my FRPP Snorkel install that the upper lip was kinda behind the upper part of the Grille opening. I contacted Ford and discussed this with them, and they assured me that this was normal. We tend to think of the Airflow in terms of the direction of flow, when in reality it's more a matter of pressure differential. The front of the car is a very high pressure zone (think of it like water), and this high pressure air follows the easiest route. In this case, that's into the Snorkel, which is a very low pressure zone. I had this information confirmed by the Aero engineer with whom I consulted.

That being said, I've seen some installs where the upper lip of the Snorkel is even higher. When I was testing, I noticed that there is one of the Grille Insert Mounting Tabs that sits in front of the Snorkel Lip and can actually hold the Snorkel a little higher. Although this doesn't effect the performance, if care is taken when putting the Bumper Cover on, you can make sure the Upper Lip of the Snorkel clears that Tab. As I said, this won't effect performance; but if you want to, you might be able to pull out on the Grille and push the lower Lip of the Snorkel down at the same time, and get the upper lip past that Tab.

I'll post this up on the Q&A thread and post up some photos. But as I said, the Snorkel works on the principal of Differential Pressure. There is no loss of performance if it rests a little high. The FRPP Snorkel sits a little high even when clear of the Tab. If clear of the Tab, the RS Snorkel is lower than the FRPP, and the opening in the Snorkel lines up with the opening in the Grille. Hope this helps. I'll post this up on the Q&A Thread. Thanks for the question. JP

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's a couple of photos of an FRPP Snorkel. The first shows the upper lip of the Snorkel below the Grille Tab, and the second shows it above the Tab:

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I couldn't wait any longer and had nothing else to do today so I decided to install my snorkel.

Bumper removal was pretty easy. There are other guides posted online how to do it. I was changing oil today too so the shroud underneath had to come out anyways. Just a bunch of torx screws and plastic rivets. I decided to remove the bumper because i have big hands and didn't want to put too much stress on the bumper by trying to squeeze them underneath the upper shroud.

Template lined up for cutting

Hole cut in shroud

To remove the stock piece there are two of those two piece plastic rivets. If you removed the bumper you know how these work (pop middle up, remove). Feed snorkel through hole and slide top end onto the place where you removed the stock piece.

Foam block installed on bottom of snorkel

Install plastic retainers

Put everything back together.

Rocket everything went together perfectly. Really happy with my purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for sharing your install photos.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here's a pic of the RS Snorkel Intake on my car:

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
I installed mine today. Fit like a glove. Very solid piece and very happy with the entire transaction. Thanks @rocket for putting together not only a great product, but a great buying experience on the whole.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I installed mine today. Fit like a glove. Very solid piece and very happy with the entire transaction. Thanks @rocket for putting together not only a great product, but a great buying experience on the whole.
Thanks Agent, I appreciate that. Merry Christmas. JP

1 - 20 of 97 Posts