Ford Focus ST Forum banner

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
@SSgtjrobertson , that's the best post I've ever seen.... Just sayin'.

Stuff is on order. Still waiting to cross the 30K mark & see if Ford USA is paying any attention at all... I'll update once I do the swap, but killer [email protected] Sergeant!

Currently @ 29,7--K miles on the 2018, so I've treated said 'princess' as such, minus this and pulling the intake manifold to look at said grossness that awaits... blahhh. Glad today is for the ladies' being so "prim & proper". I'm really happy to have 2nd's at a bath with rose pedals & candles. That shizz is truly relaxing (when you hear Mom calming the ecstatic 2 year old! LOL . Tit for Tat :cool:

·
Registered
424 Posts
The RS that ddfred linked?(not the sockets lol)
Well, not exactly I guess. I'm using all the parts @SSgtjrobertson provided (RS# BV6Z-9D289-B ). It took awhile for me to fill the cart @ Tasca auto for the dumb shipping... Found lots of 'throw away parts' (like the red "radiator shroud nuts" which I can link later) and beefy OEM bolts to replace for suspension goodies and such to fill the gap. Mostly just following the guide without currently having the issues of poor idle/start-up/load @ low RPM. I'm certain that it's coming, so I'm just trying to be efficient with each order I make that I can't pick up in person :p

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
got to 125 no prob, ticket in the mail, followed by suspended license

and filled the tank with the car running, not even so much as a blip of rpm movement(y)
Outstanding!

J

Reactions: Joe R red14st2

·
Registered
304 Posts
Interesting. I see that's the valve near the throttle body end of the whole assembly. Is this why the ST assembly (BV6Z-9D289-E) is much more expensive than the RS assembly, since it includes this check valve?

What do you suggest I do for replacement? Bite the bullet and just buy a whole BV6Z-9D289-E assembly (and save the new valve for the next purge valve replacement)? Or is there a slick way of replacing just the check valve cheaply in a manner similar to your purge valve trick?
Just wanted to provide an update. I ended up biting the bullet and removing my modified assembly w/ new valve and installing a brand new BV6Z-9D289-E assembly. So I now have a brand new check valve as well. I ended up getting it for $57 on Amazon with free shipping, so not terrible. Having done this recently for the modification, it only took about 15 minutes to swap in the new assembly.

2 days and no CEL, but I will report back if it triggers again. This could be a useful data point regarding the reliability of the check valve.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just wanted to provide an update. I ended up biting the bullet and removing my modified assembly w/ new valve and installing a brand new BV6Z-9D289-E assembly. So I now have a brand new check valve as well. I ended up getting it for $57 on Amazon with free shipping, so not terrible. Having done this recently for the modification, it only took about 15 minutes to swap in the new assembly.

2 days and no CEL, but I will report back if it triggers again. This could be a useful data point regarding the reliability of the check valve.
It's been over 2 weeks and no CEL. I don't want to jinx myself, but it's looking more and more like the check valve was the problem. If so, this might suggest that we might want to replace both the purge valve and the check valve at the same time, making the expense of the entire BV6Z-9D289-E assembly a little less egregious.

·
Registered
424 Posts
It's been over 2 weeks and no CEL. I don't want to jinx myself, but it's looking more and more like the check valve was the problem. If so, this might suggest that we might want to replace both the purge valve and the check valve at the same time, making the expense of the entire BV6Z-9D289-E assembly a little less egregious.
Thanks for the update @Melchior . I bought the RS assembly, for the purpose that it has all the components & I will be using the FUFF method to make future replacement more easy. Also, it's much cheaper... On that note, I have to say: After having watched this thread since the beginning, and following prices for the Ford parts, the prices had gone up significantly with many vendors! I was able to wait out the 'burst', and now things seem to be normalizing again as far as MSRP vs retail prices.

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
I'm truly shocked at the traction this thread has gotten. It's awesome to see how many people It has helped.

Stay Safe
J

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks for the update @Melchior . I bought the RS assembly, for the purpose that it has all the components & I will be using the FUFF method to make future replacement more easy. Also, it's much cheaper... On that note, I have to say: After having watched this thread since the beginning, and following prices for the Ford parts, the prices had gone up significantly with many vendors! I was able to wait out the 'burst', and now things seem to be normalizing again as far as MSRP vs retail prices.
Good info - I didn't realize the price of the full assembly fluctuated so much. It might be worth having a cheap and reliably way of changing just the check valve as well, in order to mitigate any volatility in price for the full assembly.

I'm truly shocked at the traction this thread has gotten. It's awesome to see how many people It has helped.

Stay Safe
J
Thank you again for all of the amazing information you bring to this community.

101 - 112 of 112 Posts