Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
And just as a last piece of information over-kill the Ohms reading on a working EVAP purge valve should no more the 17 Ohms.

Night kids!

·
Premium Member
2,227 Posts
The oils that build up in the intake manifold rarely escape past the check valve I mentioned earlier. So it really won't help the purge valve at all. If oils are present on the valve sealing surface it's seeing boost. That will destroy it almost instantly. But great question!
The contamination of the valve is coming from fuel tank vapors during purging?

Thanks a lot for going the extra mile, really makes it easy to understand what is happening

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The contamination of the valve is coming from fuel tank vapors during purging?

Thanks a lot for going the extra mile, really makes it easy to understand what is happening
The vapors are "filtered" through charcoal. If that becomes damaged it can potentially become dislodged and damage the valve seal. Or and this especially goes for people that refuel with the engine running, you can actually hear the engines tone change during the refueling process.

Or you top off the tank and hop in hit the start button only yo have it run rough or not start? If you load up too much for the engine to start or stay running you can use the emergency refueling adapter to vent the fuel door or hold the accelerator pedal fully to the floor to shut off the injector while cranking the engine.

The canister itself have a vent valve that pulls in a small amount of fresh air and is only closed off during the certain testing conditions.

You can read more about the strategies used in this PDF. *remember that the late model year 2016 and newer now longer use the .040" leak test and only use the .020" test.

Lots of factors at play here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
That last image of an upgraded solenoid valve is VERY interesting! Looks like a permanent fix may not be all that complicated.

Thanks for doing this write up! I had no idea that fords fix didn’t actually do anything at all.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Great job as always, J

·
Registered
2016 ST1, FBO, GTX2867R Gen2 .64-AR, Spec stage 2 clutch, Quaife LSD, Fortune Auto 500 coil-overs.
269 Posts
Thanks for this.. After going for a drive with @W4R this problem was brought to my attention. I haven't done the recall or anything else for that matter. I've been lucky and the worst symptom I've had is an RPM dip after filling up my tank. I have also noticed a stumbling idle at startup on occasion but rarely enough to trigger a CEL.

Those super tactical operator gloves are nice but if you want to be secret squirrel approved you need some Oakley's with carbon fiber knuckles.

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Those super tactical operator gloves are nice but if you want to be secret squirrel approved you need some Oakley's with carbon fiber knuckles.
Gear adrift is a gift...

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Sticky post per request.

Thanks for all the kind words and support everyone!

Stay Safe
J

Reactions: Skykri and Blackula

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good Stuff Thanks for your time and efforts!!! out of curiosity what is the ID of the hard line going back to the Fuel tank?
Thanks in advance!

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Good Stuff Thanks for your time and efforts!!! out of curiosity what is the ID of the hard line going back to the Fuel tank?
Thanks in advance!
I believe it's 5/16".

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
So its not really needed to be said, dudes a genuis, helped me a ton through some crap. But @SSgtjrobertson you said the 2. Issue was people not being able to reinstall their accessports, is that like a not everyone kinda thing?

Cause I was one of the first people to get the 18s32 TSB or recall whatever they refered to it as....bandaid....and I had just uninstalled my accessport before I went in, and when I got back out I reinstalled it no issues. It pissed me off too coz they didnt even replace my valve or look at it for that matter, they just installed the pcm update, looked to see if it was throwin a code, it wasnt, so they assume that means purge valve is working?

Anyways was just curious if that was a blanket statement, or it hadnt happened to everyone but did happen to a few?

Again, as said amazing write up,...sir are you an alien? Lol

·
Registered
255 Posts
Interestingly enough i brought my 2014 ST to the Ford dealership for this recall/tsb. And it has jever seen the dealer before. But still they told me that my PCM had the latest software and no further fix was needed..... how is it possible that a 2014 had the latest software. Oh well. I guess i will follow up with this write up and still replace my purge valve

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,547 Posts
Interestingly enough i brought my 2014 ST to the Ford dealership for this recall/tsb. And it has jever seen the dealer before. But still they told me that my PCM had the latest software and no further fix was needed..... how is it possible that a 2014 had the latest software. Oh well. I guess i will follow up with this write up and still replace my purge valve

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I did not do the recall and won't; I changed my purge valve at 50,000 miles and will do it every 25,000 from here on.

Reactions: Grullo

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So its not really needed to be said, dudes a genuis, helped me a ton through some crap. But @SSgtjrobertson you said the 2. Issue was people not being able to reinstall their accessports, is that like a not everyone kinda thing?

Cause I was one of the first people to get the 18s32 TSB or recall whatever they refered to it as....bandaid....and I had just uninstalled my accessport before I went in, and when I got back out I reinstalled it no issues. It pissed me off too coz they didnt even replace my valve or look at it for that matter, they just installed the pcm update, looked to see if it was throwin a code, it wasnt, so they assume that means purge valve is working?

Anyways was just curious if that was a blanket statement, or it hadnt happened to everyone but did happen to a few?

Again, as said amazing write up,...sir are you an alien? Lol
The age of your current calibration is the real issue. At some point the federal government changed the acceptable amount of leak (size of the hole) a "sealed" emissions system can have. A purge valve should only release the vapors stored within the charcoal canister under specified conditions. (Engine at operating temperature, X speed, X% throttle position, & certain fuel tank levels)

Inorder to make sure the emissions equipment can perform this purge the PCM must test the systems function. This test will usually be referred to by the acceptable amount of a leak allowed before it will trigger a DTC/CEL. 20 thousandths of an inch .020", 40 thousandths of an inch .040", or on some heavy truck applications 90 thousandths of an inch .090" can be allowed.

Up until late of 2016 (sometimes listed as 2017) the .040" test was removed, meet the more strict emissions standards set by the Comrades in the EPA. This left the .020" test the only option for our vehicles. They also changed when a DTC/CEL is triggered. Normally a fault must occur a set number of times before the PCM will let you know.

Remember: Not all DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) will trigger a CEL (check engine light). So unless you scan for codes you may have an issue and not even know it. Why do you think it’s referred to as an "IDIOT LIGHT"?

If the valve fails electrically it will trigger a DTC/CEL fairly quickly. Normally the mechanical failure would need to be pretty severe before a CEL would be set. The truth of the matter is, the valve is just a bad design. We are not the only ones that have this issue. This isn't just a Ford thing, but it's still their responsibility.

Please don't think I'm knocking local dealership techs either. The industry has encouraged a "part swapping" environment over trained technicians. Those with a genuine desire to learn or passion for troubleshooting normally move on from the dealerships or from the industry entirely.

The manufacturers & dealers are about profits. They keep the techs under paid and hamstrung with book times. But people need to stop relying on the "ThE CoMpUtER sAyS ItS fInE" excuse too.

If you're vehicle is within the allowed calibration period the answer is simple. The dealership (unless their one of the goods ones) are going to five you the finger and show you the door.

If you're very clearly not within the calibration range and they tell you that everything is fine without inspection of the tank, replacement of the valve assembly and a PCM reflash then they are lying to you.

We still have major grounding issues in the engine harness that still haven't been addressed. And a TSB that says plugs should be gapped at 1mm (.040") to prevent misfires? WTF?!?!

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Small update Dorman has some various replacement clips available should you choose the valve only replacement route.
$5.99 USD before tax.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Great write-up. Thanks so much for the comprehensive theory, practice, and solution to Ford's engineered failure. At 20k miles I'll look out for symptoms in my ST but it seems like they are inevitable.

Reactions: SSgtjrobertson
21 - 40 of 43 Posts