Ford Focus ST Forum banner

141 - 160 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
we have been waiting all this time for that^
tastes like ........ disappointment lol

All this time and I was expecting something 80-90% complete... but we get some molded resin and a chunk of wood (it looks like wood that is) :p

Reactions: Chris796

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
So here's an update. Went over there yesterday and the prototype guy never showed up with the grille. Blew us off 10mins before the appointment, Josh from TLF was not happy about it. Needless to say no install was done. However I do have a picture to share of the first prototype mock up. Hopefully by next week I'll have pictures of an install.
Very professional, prototype guy... looks like a start. Can't wait to see the final product.

·
Registered
353 Posts
we have been waiting all this time for that^
If you consider this isn't even the prototype (let alone production version), just a mock up, I think it's a good start. I'm guessing the center piece is just there for support on this, and I seriously doubt there is a piece there on the prototype (if the sorry ass fab guy ever brings it! I hope he eats at a taco truck and gets mud butt for three days!). I'm also guessing the grille itself will sit in the back of that framing, so it will be inset. The two angle pieces extend to the back of the frame. It looks like it's going to turn out quite similar to the fusion grille they did, which is exactly what I was hoping when they announced this.

As a side note, maybe all those times vendors promised things were in the works, and never came to fruition, it was actually the fab guys who sucked. Kinda like landscapers where I live. They will come out once to do estimates, and plans and all that, but then you never hear from them again.

NDA=No Duck Aggression :haha:

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you consider this isn't even the prototype (let alone production version), just a mock up, I think it's a good start. I'm guessing the center piece is just there for support on this, and I seriously doubt there is a piece there on the prototype (if the sorry ass fab guy ever brings it! I hope he eats at a taco truck and gets mud butt for three days!). I'm also guessing the grille itself will sit in the back of that framing, so it will be inset. The two angle pieces extend to the back of the frame. It looks like it's going to turn out quite similar to the fusion grille they did, which is exactly what I was hoping when they announced this.

As a side note, maybe all those times vendors promised things were in the works, and never came to fruition, it was actually the fab guys who sucked. Kinda like landscapers where I live. They will come out once to do estimates, and plans and all that, but then you never hear from them again.

So I don't know what the deal is with the Prototype guy but I guess he has mobility issues(paraplegic) Either way still sucks to wait this long, but as mentioned before TLF is moving to a much larger facility plus they had Carlisle last week so this really hasn't been addressed. I believe things will go much smoother, I wouldn't be surprised if TLF gave the work to someone else to complete.

In regards to the design I think its great, very similar to the Fusion Grille, with the mesh insert behind the slats. My only input was maybe to add a horizontal slat between the two vertical ones, giving it an H shape. This could help disguise the crash bar would give the ST grille something unique from the fusion variant. What do you guys think>

·
Registered
489 Posts
I think, as far as early prototypes go, that it looks encouraging for the final product. I'm not sure about the horizontal support suggestion though. Think it would make it a bit too busy. The best way to disquise the obnoxious crash bar would probably just be to paint it a matte black.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm with Rule1 on this, I'd prefer not to have the horizontal bar. If this didn't seem like it was going to work out soon, I was planning on doing the "mod" others have done by sanding down the back of the grille to open it up, and then just paint the crash bar black. My only suggestion would be offering something for the lower area as well, some type of mesh insert for just above the splitter, so it would match the new grille and help protect the intercooler a bit as well. Having those two areas match would really complete the look I think. It wouldn't be hard to make either I wouldn't think. I had one for a Nissan Rogue I used to own and it was actually held by zip ties, but there were small loops on the back of the mesh for the ties to go through so they wouldn't loop through the mesh itself. Unless you got down on the ground with a flashlight, you couldn't see them.

All in all, I'm still super excited to see how this turns out and then give them some money!

Edit: As for the prototype guy, if he had to call the meeting because of a medical reason or something, no harm no foul. If he just blew it off, then the fact that he's physically disabled doesn't excuse unprofessional behavior. We'll likely never know which, and for anyone other than him and TLF, it really doesn't matter. Either way hopefully things get sorted.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Good thing they're going to be making 3 designs for starters

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think, as far as early prototypes go, that it looks encouraging for the final product. I'm not sure about the horizontal support suggestion though. Think it would make it a bit too busy. The best way to disquise the obnoxious crash bar would probably just be to paint it a matte black.
Fair enough, just a thought. I was thinking with the edition that it would look similar to the RS.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
When I spoke with them at the ford nationals they said that it will recess in about an inch. I asked them if it would interfere with aftermarket intercoolers. I'm running the Depo Racing beast and I'm not sure there's an extra inch there. Is the test vehicle running an aftermarket FMIC?

·
Registered
175 Posts
No h bar. 100% open like the fusion with the TLF badge. About how far back is the grill recessed?
About 2.5" Josh was telling me

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
When I spoke with them at the ford nationals they said that it will recess in about an inch. I asked them if it would interfere with aftermarket intercoolers. I'm running the Depo Racing beast and I'm not sure there's an extra inch there. Is the test vehicle running an aftermarket FMIC?

About 2.5" Josh was telling me
I think I can get away with 1 inch. 2.5 not so sure. I'm doing my light bar on the crash bar and it's about 2.5 wide. Hadn't even considered the intercooler yet because I haven't done mine but that's a really good point. All that said this thing is going to look awesome!

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
I think I can get away with 1 inch. 2.5 not so sure. I'm doing my light bar on the crash bar and it's about 2.5 wide. Hadn't even considered the intercooler yet because I haven't done mine but that's a really good point. All that said this thing is going to look awesome!
I have pulled my front end off several times and was planning to do the sanding of the backside of the grill. I had bought an extra OE grill insert at one time. Based upon the photo in an earlier post, it would appear the demo frame has pretty much the same measurements as the OE. That said you should have plenty of clearance for most any FMIC. Remember you are going to be dumping the shutters and most every FMIC is behind the crash bar. I do not see a clearance problem. I have a Mountune FMIC which uses the factory brackets and does not mount on at all on the front of the crash bar. If you are considering any FMIC mounting to the front of the crash bar, check with them on measurements. If you want some photos of the inside of the front end with the OE grill, PM me and I will get some to you for your own evaluation

·
Registered
2,101 Posts

:haha::haha::haha: ROFL!!! When I call in sick for work, this is what I leave on the message.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I have pulled my front end off several times and was planning to do the sanding of the backside of the grill. I had bought an extra OE grill insert at one time. Based upon the photo in an earlier post, it would appear the demo frame has pretty much the same measurements as the OE. That said you should have plenty of clearance for most any FMIC. Remember you are going to be dumping the shutters and most every FMIC is behind the crash bar. I do not see a clearance problem. I have a Mountune FMIC which uses the factory brackets and does not mount on at all on the front of the crash bar. If you are considering any FMIC mounting to the front of the crash bar, check with them on measurements. If you want some photos of the inside of the front end with the OE grill, PM me and I will get some to you for your own evaluation
Gotcha and thank you for the offer. My main concern is for the LED light bar. That will be going on the front of the crash bar and behind my grill after I sand it down. From talking to a few people it sounds like it's 3.5 to 4 inches max from the back of the grill to the crash bar leaving plenty of room for my 2.5 inch thick Light bar. If the new TLF grill is truly 2.5 deep it won't work but man it will look good!

After a good look at the mock up its looking like at least 2.5 inches.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Bump

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
so ... little .... excitement ....

141 - 160 of 187 Posts