Ford Focus ST Forum banner

141 - 160 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
I just did a 250mile trip, averaged 28.4mpg highway going 77mph. got it up to 32-33mpg during the 65mph sections.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have been ragging the ST during this tank and I have been averaging 25mpg which is mind boggling considering my old Acura RL could barely muster 26mpg when being babied.

This car rules!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here is a trip from Philly down I-76 south to I-81 into VA

2014-08-19 16.23.51.jpg

That's on cruise between 65-75mph

The same trip going to Philly I was a little harder on it and got 29mpg

Overall If I'm really hard I get 23, moderate 25 and nice 28....

·
Registered
361 Posts
I just filled up this morning I drove 301.9 miles and it held 9.687 gallons. 31.1 mpg!

I love this car! Nearly as quick as my Mustang and capable of 30+mpg's!

·
Registered
14 Posts
How are you guys getting 30mpg?? Do you have a tune?
I currently have 12 miles on the car I just tried returning to stock tune from frpp to get better mileage and it's worse!
Best highway 75mph mpg I can get is 25... is this normal? I am considering selling my car I love it but nee job requires alot driving
My old 09 focus manual sedan rated at 32-34 mpg I routinely achieved 37mpg
Thoughts? Yes I am driving it easy to get higher mpg when traveling for work

·
Registered
284 Posts
I currently have 12 miles on the car I just tried returning to stock tune from frpp to get better mileage and it's worse!
Best highway 75mph mpg I can get is 25... is this normal? I am considering selling my car I love it but nee job requires alot driving
12 miles wasn't even as long as my first test drive! lol Your not even close to broken in yet. Give it time. Get off the web and into the drivers seat and go do some easy cruising for a while and break er in.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It is what it is. Try finding another car with similar performance specs that has way better mileage. I'm sure you will be hard pressed to find one.

Also there are so many factors that can weigh in on fuel efficiency like how you drive, fuel quality, temperature, wind, windows open or closed, ac on or off, altitude, road quality, hilly roads, tires, mechanical/electrical issues and weight that it makes it difficult to precisely compare to others on this forum.

I get 8 to 8.5 liters per 100 km driving 70% highway at 120km/h and that's way better than I was getting with my 2001 golf gl so I'm happy.

But then again I didn't buy this car to beat any fuel efficiency records. No I bought it for the thrills the car could give me when I wanted them and decent fuel economy when needed.

·
Registered
953 Posts
But then again I didn't buy this car to beat any fuel efficiency records. No I bought it for the thrills the car could give me when I wanted them and decent fuel economy when needed.
Yes, me too.

That must be why I usually average about 20mpg when I'm just driving it, rather than being OCD about efficiency.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So I had wanted to report in with the AMAZING fuel economy my dashboard monitor has been telling me, but when I tried to back it up with actual calculations, it came up very short.

I was on empty with my computer telling me i had only 37 miles left in the tank, so I filled up right before I was going on a 100 mile return trip to home. However, despite being on E, the gas pump clicked off at 9.9 gallons. Hmmm, I didn't top it off because I've heard that can fill up the fuel vapor sensor (whatever) and cause problems, so I didn't top it off. Gauge read full, good to go.

The road I'm on is mostly 55mph (I held it at about 58), with a few drops down to 40~, so the best kind of road for good fuel economy. I am doing all the hypermiling tricks I know. Shifting early if I have to slow down, accelerating with the cruise control, etc. But I also happen to have a bike on the back for this trip.

And my fuel economy gauge kept going up until it averaged out at 36 MPG! I was roughly doing the numbers as I was going by watching the fuel gauge, at about mile 100 it was a smidgen under 3/4 full, which if this tank really is 12.4 gallons should be about 3.3~ gallons. I was excited by the 36 MPG's I was getting, because to me that meant my bolt on CAI and custom catback, and then ECU reset were doing something for my fuel economy! I had never seen numbers like that before them!

However, when I filled up to try and prove my fantastic fuel economy empirically, the car took 4.35 gallons to fill up again! That's almost half what I put in when it was empy! And the gauge only said 1/4 was gone! This made the 108 mile trip have an economy of 24 MPG.....

I don't know what exactly happened here, but I am beyond disappointed. That's city driving MPG's! What could have happened? Did I not fill it up all the way at the initial fill up and the lack of fuel caught up with the calculations?

-Initial fill up was done after pretty much a "cold" start. (73 degrees outside)
-Post fill up was done with car warm (same outside temperature)
-Car is well broken in at 19k miles.
-Torque app running the whole time reported 30 MPGs

What's going on! I was so ready to report with empirical proof that catback exhausts do help fuel economy!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Disappointed with my ST gas mileage. been babying it trying to get good mileage and falling way short of what i hoped. Same driving with my former tuned GTI I was avg over 28. St has been in that 23 to 26 range. auto computer is way off also. coming up on 2000 miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
~2800 miles so far, averaging 23-24 mpg with 50/50 town/highway driving. If I did more highway driving, I could easily see 28+ mpg.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I was averaging 25.7 over 2500 or so. Recently disconnected the battery (resetting the computer) to install a fswerks intake. Now I'm averaging 22.6 ish. Clearly being addicted to the woosh sound has impacted my mileage... worth it :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
215 mile trip from OKC to Arlington Texas with a 25mph headwind with cruise control set to 78... Dash said 23.8 mpg, calculated to 23.5.
215 mile trip from Arlington Texas to OKC the following day, 20mph tailwind, cruise set to 78... Dash said 30.7 mpg, calculated to 30.3, similar temperature but higher humidity.
Wind plays a huge role is highway speed mpg's. also, OKC elevation is roughly 1200 ft and Arlington is roughly 600 ft.

·
Registered
183 Posts
In my experience, some pumps will allow fully filling your tank and some will not. I have a certain pump I prefer to use because it consistently fills, but if I can't get to that one it's all over the place. The end result is that sometimes I'll get anywhere from 26-36 calculated when it's 30-33 indicated. It does all work itself out though, because my calculated MPG over the last 20000 miles is within 0.3 of the indicated MPG. I don't know why the ST is so sensitive to this phenomenon, certainly much more so than any other car I've owned; maybe I need to have that TSB done (though slow fill is not an issue).

FWIW, my MPG is 30.5 for the last 20K miles. I drive conservatively most of the time, but hard in the corners. Most of my driving is back road 45mph stuff and I just don't drive fast on those type of roads. I do love swinging the tail out though when I know the road and conditions.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Stage 3 Freektuned, 60/40 hwy/city, I get 28.5 mpg

141 - 160 of 173 Posts