Ford Focus ST Forum banner

61 - 80 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
An S2000 is not a typical 2.0 naturally aspirated engine. I am talking about all the Foci, Corollas, Subarus, M3s and cars of that category.

BTW, the proper following distance is a minimum of 2 seconds. The two second rule will create a larger gap as your speed increases. If you have to think about what the proper following distance you are not a defensive driver, it should be automatic.
A friend of mine has a 2013 Subura Impreza hatch, I'll test your theory and see what happens in my ST when he's in 3rd and in 4th and I'm in 6th for both runs.

Well, in any car the following distance or distance between you and the driver behind you can be different. I don't know what you see day to day as far as traffic and if you take notice to how closely people following others but most don't give the 2 second gap or more that you're supposed to. There are tons of scenarios that can come into play on the road. If I see a car in front of me that's an older car with drum brakes I know for a fact I'm going to get stopped quicker than him. So my following distance wouldn't have to be as much compared to a newer high performance car like a Ford GT, in that case I know that car can get stopped a lot faster than my ST so my following distance must be increased just in case the GT would have to slam the brakes and come to a complete stop.

·
Registered
912 Posts
And folks that aren't following the 2 second rule aren't driving defensively.

If you are doing 60 or 70 mph you have very large gap, much more than the difference in stopping distances between a high performance car and a non high performance.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I swear newer fords are designed for the EPA tests. Driving the same exact way on the same route, same temperature, etc I'm getting about 25-26 vs 30-31 in my old accord. With my old corolla and accord I could get the EPA highway numbers in mixed driving with lead feet. This, granted I'm only at 800mi is struggling to get above 25 with mild lead feet.

I see this as an excuse to get a tune.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I swear newer fords are designed for the EPA tests. Driving the same exact way on the same route, same temperature, etc I'm getting about 25-26 vs 30-31 in my old accord. With my old corolla and accord I could get the EPA highway numbers in mixed driving with lead feet. This, granted I'm only at 800mi is struggling to get above 25 with mild lead feet.

I see this as an excuse to get a tune.
I wouldn't baby it so much. Need to get those rings to seat properly so revving it out to 3 or 4K will help. At around 800 miles is when i started to really open it up and sometimes rev it to 6K. I've got 1,200 miles on my ST3 and have been averaging 30-35 mpg. 26-28 mpg when driving a little more spirited.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If I see a car in front of me that's an older car with drum brakes I know for a fact I'm going to get stopped quicker than him. So my following distance wouldn't have to be as much compared to a newer high performance car like a Ford GT, in that case I know that car can get stopped a lot faster than my ST so my following distance must be increased just in case the GT would have to slam the brakes and come to a complete stop.
Thing is, your reaction time can easily be the dominating factor, not the performance of the vehicles.

Consider, it often takes people a full second to realize they need to panic-stop and get their foot from the gas to the brake. It can be more if they aren't paying close attention. At 65 mph, that's almost a hundred feet traveled before you even start to slow down. That can easily be more than the difference between two vehicles.

·
Registered
467 Posts
People saying they are getting above 30 MPG in this car are lying...
Filled up at shell after work which is a 20 minute drive for me, reset mpg, drove home easy and got 33.4 mpg by the time I got home. Wasn't hard just drove the speed limit which is between 45-55 mph changes in two different places.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Thing is, your reaction time can easily be the dominating factor, not the performance of the vehicles.

Consider, it often takes people a full second to realize they need to panic-stop and get their foot from the gas to the brake. It can be more if they aren't paying close attention. At 65 mph, that's almost a hundred feet traveled before you even start to slow down. That can easily be more than the difference between two vehicles.
I would say almost anything below 60 mph, a full second to realize they need to panic-stop would be ok with an older car in front of you but with a high performance car, doubtful. If you give yourself the distance you think or know you need to get stopped in time for that panic-stop then you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
People saying they are getting above 30 MPG in this car are lying...
Very false statement. I could be equally blunt and say your driving is suspect if you can't get your mileage over 30 mpg driving smart, but I mean no offense you might have just got a dud... I doubt it. Most likely just drivin too speedy on the highway. For me it drops off severely if I get over 70mpg, just at 60 is a sweet spot in 6th

·
Registered
621 Posts
I got 3.8 mpg during a track day. Went through 26 gallons of gas in 4 hours.

Real world driving its about 24. But thats ONLY city driving. And trying to be civil with slow traffic.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm getting about 28 mpg overall lately, but there are a lot of hills around here and they really hurt the mpg. When I'm in flat country I've been able to get 32 mpg, but only if I drive like a church lady.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I can't seem to raise my average MPG above 22 and I'm driving fairly modest. My problem is I only work about 4 miles from home, I'm thinking that is my biggest problem. Went out on the freeway on a 45 mile cruz the oher day and had the average MPG up to 28+. Still can't get my trophy on the eco part.

·
Registered
912 Posts
FWIW, it's been in the 20's when I leave for work in the morning. When I leave in the morning my mileage will drop a few tenths then stabilize. It won't start to climb again until the oil temperature comes off the peg and starts to climb to its normal operating temp. This takes 5-6 miles. So, if you aren't driving much you likely aren't getting the engine to normal operating temperature.

BTW, I have a 48 mile suburban road round trip commute to work with 6 traffic lights. By using all the hyper mileing tricks I know I have gotten as high as 36 mpg on a single commute. My typical full tank average is 28-29 mpg.

I expect this to go up 1-2 mpg when I get the snow tires off, they start selling summer blend gas and the outside temps stay above 50.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I mean city driving is such a broad term, so it's easy to see it could be a big discrepancy between different people. Short, stop and go commutes are the worst obviously... Which is pretty much what I have to get to work/class. But web I've been in other towns, and you get slow in town driving with minimal stops, My mpg wasn't far off highway. Low speed does not mean low mpg, but obviously sustained 55 mpg is optimum.

That being said, my short 10 minute in town commute would get me a 22-24 average if its all I did. The second I have a 13 mile trip to the golf course my team plays and practices at, my mileage for that trip is in the 30's and it's mixed highway and city, but not much stopping. That would bring the average up over the tank but won't move it too much, and I think that's the issue people are having. A good overall mpg for this car would be like 25-27... You didn't buy a Prius, guys, but if it's all highway this car will get 30+ and that is fact

·
Registered
756 Posts
I mean city driving is such a broad term, so it's easy to see it could be a big discrepancy between different people. Short, stop and go commutes are the worst obviously... Which is pretty much what I have to get to work/class. But web I've been in other towns, and you get slow in town driving with minimal stops, My mpg wasn't far off highway. Low speed does not mean low mpg, but obviously sustained 55 mpg is optimum.

That being said, my short 10 minute in town commute would get me a 22-24 average if its all I did. The second I have a 13 mile trip to the golf course my team plays and practices at, my mileage for that trip is in the 30's and it's mixed highway and city, but not much stopping. That would bring the average up over the tank but won't move it too much, and I think that's the issue people are having. A good overall mpg for this car would be like 25-27... You didn't buy a Prius, guys, but if it's all highway this car will get 30+ and that is fact
I'm there with you, I have a stereotypical city commute, 11 miles, 30-45 minutes, but I can make an easy 2MPG difference with routes, I have a very consistent route that has a lot of twists, turns, and hills, it's about 30 minutes and it gives me 21 MPG, if I do the more variable route that has fewer twists, turns, hills and stoplights, but more true stop and go, I get about 23 MPG.

61 - 80 of 173 Posts