Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
I experimented the other day after a fill up. Reset the mileage meter while up to speed and kept a constant 55 for about 10 miles. Then coasted into my small town and kept constant 35 then down to 25 for about a mile. Then slowly accelerated to 55 out the other side to my home in 2 more miles. The gague read 38 mpg when I got home. My car has 4k miles and it was about 35 degrees that day. So if u want good mileage, it can do it. Most of the time I am getting 23 with many short runs. It really is a great car. Good luck after graduation!

1FASTST

·
Registered
272 Posts
Get the ST if you're more into fun to drive, get the GTI if you want more refinement. I have both...new ST and 2012 GTI (DSG) - wife's car. The ST is MUCH more fun to drive IMO. I'm averaging 27.3mpg with the ST (mostly hwy, manually calculated). My wife is averaging close to 30 on her GTI. Both of our miles are mostly highway. In fairness I drive the ST more aggressively...so I'd expect the MPG delta to be closer to 1-1.5 mpg. Meaning...get the car you want...mpg shouldn't be the deciding factor between the ST and GTI because the difference is marginal. Either way you'll be happy...both are great cars.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That was supposed to be 25mpg in the burbs. My iPhone's autocorrect has stupid moments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for all the replies, guys! I do want something fun to drive, and the ST's gas mileage seems to be really good for something so fun to drive.
Even the low 20s driving a bit aggressively is great, and high 20s and low 30s is great for highway / conservative driving. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Coast in gear, it shuts the fuel injectors off. Coasting in neutral is dangerous and the engine is still using gas to keep it turning over.
Why would the injectors shut off that doesn't make any sense. And why would coasting in neutral be dangerous? I coast in neutral all the time when coming down a hill or slight grade. Been averaging 30-35 mpg, average speed I travel at is around 55-60 mph.

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussed in this thread:

http://www.focusst.org/forum/off-topic/1557-downshifting-good-bad.html

Posts 13, 15, 16.

Injectors cut off to meet emissions requirements.

Andrew
This was in the link you sent me: Coasting/braking in gear will save more gas than doing so in neutral. In gear the momentum of the car is keeping the motor turning over and almost no fuel is being injected whereas in neutral, the engine is basically just running at idle and burning gas.

Here's what I found after googling it: http://www.popularmechanics.com/_mobile/cars/alternative-fuel/news/coasting-in-neutral-fuel-economy

The only way I see it dangerous coasting is not being able to accelerate but then again it doesn't take long to throw it into gear either.

·
Registered
158 Posts
This was in the link you sent me: Coasting/braking in gear will save more gas than doing so in neutral. In gear the momentum of the car is keeping the motor turning over and almost no fuel is being injected whereas in neutral, the engine is basically just running at idle and burning gas.

Here's what I found after googling it: Coasting in Neutral or Gear to Save Gas - Coasting and Fuel Economy - Popular Mechanics

The only way I see it dangerous coasting is not being able to accelerate but then again it doesn't take long to throw it into gear either.
I don't understand, are you disputing the claim that coasting in neutral does not save gas compared to coasting in gear? Because I don't see any agreement here, just a link which basically backs up what we're saying. Assuming you read the article and didn't just link it because the title seems to imply that coasting in neutral saves gas, because that's not what the title says to me.

And you just listed the main reason why coasting in neutral is dangerous, your car isn't in gear. That one second or split second you spend to throw it in an appropriate gear for the speed you're travelling could make the difference between having power to accelerate out of the way, or getting into an accident. In fact, in that article you linked, it ends off with this:

Bottom line: Don't coast in neutral. It's dangerous and won't save fuel. Turning off the key at traffic lights might.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't understand, are you disputing the claim that coasting in neutral does not save gas compared to coasting in gear? Because I don't see any agreement here, just a link which basically backs up what we're saying. Assuming you read the article and didn't just link it because the title seems to imply that coasting in neutral saves gas, because that's not what the title says to me.

And you just listed the main reason why coasting in neutral is dangerous, your car isn't in gear. That one second or split second you spend to throw it in an appropriate gear for the speed you're travelling could make the difference between having power to accelerate out of the way, or getting into an accident. In fact, in that article you linked, it ends off with this:
All I'm basically saying is if I'm already getting between 30-35 mpg now coasting in neutral and traveling the speeds i do, why change?lol I read the article before posting. The title obviously states that coasting in neutral doesn't save gas. i mean if nobody can interpret what the title is stating then they've got a problem. And yes, I read the last paragraph stating don't coast in neutral. Lets say your in 6th gear going 55-60 mph and you've got to accelerate out of the way quickly because of a deer or another car, whichever it may be. trying to accelerate in 6th is not going to have near enough pull to move you quickly out of the way so therefore you would need to change to 5th or 4th gear for more acceleration. There's tons of scenarios to discuss about what could happen on the road. This thread originally started as real world mpg as in what everyone is getting now. I've been driving manual cars for over 8 years now and been doing the whole coasting in neutral thing ever since I started. All in all, whether the you stay in gear or go to neutral you are using fuel no matter what. The whole injectors shutting off I don't see happening because for the engine to continue running it needs fuel. I can see some other part of the emissions system being used like an EGR valve or whatever else but not the fuel being shut off for it to pass a certain emissions. So going back to what the thread started as real world mpg I'm getting anywhere from 30-35 mpg in my ST3 running 55-60 mph that's to and from work and I coast 2 places on one decline to work and one decline coming home from work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
On my commute ~22miles ~40mins there's little opportunity for fun and i'm averaging ~32-34mpg, pretty happy with that. When having a little more fun low to mid 20s.

·
Registered
467 Posts
On my commute ~22miles ~40mins there's little opportunity for fun and i'm averaging ~32-34mpg, pretty happy with that. When having a little more fun low to mid 20s.
So all in all it's meeting or exceeding what they say it supposed to get stock. Of course, it's going to get worse when having fun in it, but mid 20's are still good for ripping on it haha not disappointed with the mpg at all.

·
Registered
272 Posts
All I'm basically saying is if I'm already getting between 30-35 mpg now coasting in neutral and traveling the speeds i do, why change?lol I read the article before posting. The title obviously states that coasting in neutral doesn't save gas. i mean if nobody can interpret what the title is stating then they've got a problem. And yes, I read the last paragraph stating don't coast in neutral. Lets say your in 6th gear going 55-60 mph and you've got to accelerate out of the way quickly because of a deer or another car, whichever it may be. trying to accelerate in 6th is not going to have near enough pull to move you quickly out of the way so therefore you would need to change to 5th or 4th gear for more acceleration. There's tons of scenarios to discuss about what could happen on the road. This thread originally started as real world mpg as in what everyone is getting now. I've been driving manual cars for over 8 years now and been doing the whole coasting in neutral thing ever since I started. All in all, whether the you stay in gear or go to neutral you are using fuel no matter what. The whole injectors shutting off I don't see happening because for the engine to continue running it needs fuel. I can see some other part of the emissions system being used like an EGR valve or whatever else but not the fuel being shut off for it to pass a certain emissions. So going back to what the thread started as real world mpg I'm getting anywhere from 30-35 mpg in my ST3 running 55-60 mph that's to and from work and I coast 2 places on one decline to work and one decline coming home from work.
A wise man once said...you're all entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. The facts in this case are clear and undisputed.

·
Registered
467 Posts
A wise man once said...you're all entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts. The facts in this case are clear and undisputed.
I'd just like to see some facts as the injectors shutting off for the car to pass whatever emissions test. Also, how isn't what I stated about being in a higher gear such as 6th gear not true or a fact?lol Being in 6th gear at 55-60 mph will not accelerate you quick enough out of any situation where you need to accelerate very quickly. The fact is you have to be in a lower gear to accelerate quickly or else you're SOL. Whether I be in neutral or 6th gear, I'm still going to have to go into a gear lower to accelerate quickly. The fact is in an ST being in 3rd or 4th gear at 55-60 mph will accelerate you much more quickly than you being in 6th. Therefore if you are traveling in 6th conserving fuel and you need to accelerate for whatever reason you are going to have to downshift to accelerate out of the way quickly, fact. Now unless you're already having fun and in a hard pulling gear you won't need to shift what-so-ever and will have that acceleration needed immediately.

·
Registered
54 Posts
New owner. When I test drove it, it was showing 22.x. Now after a few days I have it in the 23.x range. From comments here expect to see 25-26 avg. Mostly highway but fairly often in traffic. Time will tell. Only put about 100 miles on it so far.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If I thought more data would help I'd find and send you more. The article you sent, and we all read, was pretty clear from Popular Mechanics. If you drive ANYTHING with instant fuel consumption on the onboard computer, you'll see as soon as you let off the gas to coast in gear it will show you are using essentially no fuel. Some cars show 99.9mpg when you do this (my last MS3 did this). Some show dashes. But the point is clear. When coasting in gear you're using very little gas.

The irony for me is you learned to do this on a GT. The car that broke me of the habit of coasting in neutral was a 95 GT! The damn thing woudn't go into gear quickly from neutral!

·
Registered
467 Posts
If I thought more data would help I'd find and send you more. The article you sent, and we all read, was pretty clear from Popular Mechanics. If you drive ANYTHING with instant fuel consumption on the onboard computer, you'll see as soon as you let off the gas to coast in gear it will show you are using essentially no fuel. Some cars show 99.9mpg when you do this (my last MS3 did this). Some show dashes. But the point is clear. When coasting in gear you're using very little gas.

The irony for me is you learned to do this on a GT. The car that broke me of the habit of coasting in neutral was a 95 GT! The damn thing woudn't go into gear quickly from neutral!
Which uses more fuel, coasting in gear or coasting when in neutral? If I had to guess I'd say it uses more fuel in gear than at idle.

Well, when I first had the GT I never tried to get good gas mileage cause I was all about ripping on it.lol Then as soon as I had to keep paying to fill up I decided to start drive smarter and letting it coast to save fuel.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Which uses more fuel, coasting in gear or coasting when in neutral? If I had to guess I'd say it uses more fuel in gear than at idle.

Well, when I first had the GT I never tried to get good gas mileage cause I was all about ripping on it.lol Then as soon as I had to keep paying to fill up I decided to start drive smarter and letting it coast to save fuel.
Neutral uses more fuel because the engine has to idle
Coasting in Neutral or Gear to Save Gas - Coasting and Fuel Economy - Popular Mechanics

·
Registered
467 Posts
As many times as I've re-read that article, I don't understand how it can possibly consume more fuel at idle than it would when in gear and the rpm's are up higher. You would think lower rpm's less fuel, more rpm's more fuel is added. Plus, the ECU adjusts how much fuel is needed at certain rpm's. In the article they talk about pulse width and it going to 0, well then only time it really should be 0 is when the engine isn't running. Otherwise, it's 1 or higher. And in the article they state: Some small cars with roller cams may do slightly better. The article is almost 3 years old. The technology going into cars these days has me wonder what they have done to electrical, fuel and exhaust components to make cars get better fuel mileage and still deliver performance such as the ST with ecoboost.

21 - 40 of 173 Posts