Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post here. I am researching cars for after I graduate college (in a few months). After looking at a couple of VW TDIs, I test drove the ST and fell in love with it. However, gas milage is important to me as well. Knowing that the EPA estimates can be inaccurate, I was wondering what you all noticed your Focus' real world gas milage was. Thanks!

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's really dependent in how you drive it.
1st month of ownership gets combined 18-21mpg due to umm break in fun lol.
Slight lead foot gets a combined 24-26mpg (70%hwy)
Grandma driving gets combined 26-32mpg

This car is close to the EPA estimates.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hello all, this is my first post here. I am researching cars for after I graduate college (in a few months). After looking at a couple of VW TDIs, I test drove the ST and fell in love with it. However, gas milage is important to me as well. Knowing that the EPA estimates can be inaccurate, I was wondering what you all noticed your Focus' real world gas milage was. Thanks!
I recommend you evaluate your priorities in getting a car. If you're really concerned about mileage, get a hybrid or a diesel car. Mileage is just "okay" in this car. Not too low or not too high.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recommend you evaluate your priorities in getting a car. If you're really concerned about mileage, get a hybrid or a diesel car. Mileage is just "okay" in this car. Not too low or not too high.
Gas mileage isn't my number one priority. I want something fun that also gets decent mileage before I start a family and have to get a car more on the boring side of things. I think the ST fits that ticket. I drove the VW Golf TDI and it's a good car with excellent mileage, but it it wasn't exciting. Plus I just keep seeing the ST being touted as a really great hot hatch. My current car gets a combined 18 mpg and about a real world 15 mpg in the city, so about anything would be better than that. I wouldn't get a hybrid because they just seem pointless to me, above 15-20 mph they're just like any other car with a small engine. I drove a Zipcar Prius once and I didn't like it too much. A setup like the Fisker Karma's is superior to a hybrid, but I digress.

It's really dependent in how you drive it.
1st month of ownership gets combined 18-21mpg due to umm break in fun lol.
Slight lead foot gets a combined 24-26mpg (70%hwy)
Grandma driving gets combined 26-32mpg

This car is close to the EPA estimates.
Ok, thanks! Sometimes the EPA estimates can be a bit off, so I thought I'd ask. Even 24-26 mpg is pretty good for a car like this

Thanks for the replies guys!

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
Whoa, the ST is not a green car. Since you're finishing up with college and on a budget the ST may not be a perfect fit for you since you're concerned with MPG. The ST is a fun car and with fun cars there's a trade off.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just remember that if you drive it like its a hot hatch then expect lower mpg. I've gotten 2mpg in the suburbs by babying it like it was a Prius and city w/o a ton of traffic 21-22mpg by babying it. Those numbers drone when adding traffic or excitement.

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
Just remember that if you drive it like its a hot hatch then expect lower mpg. I've gotten 2mpg in the suburbs by babying it like it was a Prius and city w/o a ton of traffic 21-22mpg by babying it. Those numbers drone when adding traffic or excitement.
There has to be a typo, 2mpg and in the Burbs? When I baby mine it, Babe responds with close to 30mpg but when I let her loose she delivers 22-27mpg.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Gas mileage isn't my number one priority. I want something fun that also gets decent mileage before I start a family and have to get a car more on the boring side of things. I think the ST fits that ticket. I drove the VW Golf TDI and it's a good car with excellent mileage, but it it wasn't exciting. Plus I just keep seeing the ST being touted as a really great hot hatch. My current car gets a combined 18 mpg and about a real world 15 mpg in the city, so about anything would be better than that. I wouldn't get a hybrid because they just seem pointless to me, above 15-20 mph they're just like any other car with a small engine. I drove a Zipcar Prius once and I didn't like it too much. A setup like the Fisker Karma's is superior to a hybrid, but I digress.

Ok, thanks! Sometimes the EPA estimates can be a bit off, so I thought I'd ask. Even 24-26 mpg is pretty good for a car like this

Thanks for the replies guys!
Check out the GTI and the GLI. I have friends that have both and get the EPA estimates and much better while on the highway. They have sport tuned suspensions and a pretty good 2L turbo on them. I know for a fact that I was sold on the GTI till I went for the ST. Me personally? I graduated two years ago and bought a Honda Fit. Cheap, excellent mileage, extremely durable, and still fun and zippy and very easy to modify. Then I traded it in on this when I was in a better financial situation.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm averaging about 26.5 according to the computer, mostly back country roads.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Real World Gas Milage

Mine is doing 14l/100km (16mpg) after 1100km running on 98RON.

It's a little disappoint but in the cars defence I do mainly short trips with no highway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I realize the ST isn't a "green" car. Trust me, if my number one priority was gas mileage I'd get something like a Passat TDI or Golf TDI (I'm not a fan of hybrids). And to be honest, the initial price if the car isn't an issue, it's a graduation gift from my dad (who's actually encouraging me to get the ST). However, gas would be on me. I'm not ready for something boring and practical like a Passat TDI, as good as the gas mileage is. Like I've said, my current car (a 2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca) gets 15 mpg city. I've learned to drive like a grandma, and even babying it and getting 22-30 on a good day sounds like a dream to me. But I love to drive, so having something like the ST that I can open up and have fun in whenever I want sounds wonderful to me. Like the name suggests, my current B9 Tribeca is a bit benign...
I've read a bunch of hot hatch reviews that pitted the GTI against the ST, and all the ones I can remember right now rate the ST highest. I was almost sold on a Golf or a GTI until I drove the ST. Also, I just checked KBB and the ST gets slightly better mileage then the GTI (albeit only 1 haha), not to mention it's cheaper.
However, if you guys don't think the ST is a good car for me, I would definitely take that into consideration. And thanks again to all of you for your input and advice.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
No worries. Hope it gives you a better idea of the car and helps out. I seem to get better MPG than most, but almost all of my driving in on the freeway so if you want or need to get good gas mileage you can, you just have to drive easy and this car is very very difficult to stay out of the boost on because it is just so fun to drive!

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
If you're not paying get the ST then. Most reviews I've read lean to the ST when it comes to the GTI comparison. BTW the performance blue (PB) or more affectionately known as Blurple is an awesome color!

·
Registered
294 Posts
50% 125km/h highway, 50% city traffic, but not super stop and go.

I average around 21-22 MPG. When it's all highway, that goes up to about 26-28.

I drive it like it's meant to be driven. Not dumping the clutch or anything harmful but most accelerations happen as quick as possible. My Cooper S got better mileage, but it's not as fun as the ST.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
50% 125km/h highway, 50% city traffic, but not super stop and go.

I average around 21-22 MPG. When it's all highway, that goes up to about 26-28.

I drive it like it's meant to be driven. Not dumping the clutch or anything harmful but most accelerations happen as quick as possible. My Cooper S got better mileage, but it's not as fun as the ST.
If you get 21-22 accelerating quickly, then that's just awesome

If you're not paying get the ST then. Most reviews I've read lean to the ST when it comes to the GTI comparison. BTW the performance blue (PB) or more affectionately known as Blurple is an awesome color!
I assume yours is "Blurple" haha. I test drove a white one and I think it looks awesome in white.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Its really easy to get 50 Miles out of a quarter tank of gas.... When you realise its a tiny 10Gal Tea cup starts to seem impressive right, lol. The MPG is as good as your gonna get out of a boring Full size Family sedan with a V6, if not better then some. And guess what, you'll be able to smoke most of them in the straight lines and whip your ass out in the turns. So over all the ST is pretty reasonable. Not sure why people fuss so much bout the MPG. I see where you coming from, just wanna know if the ST is as good as it claims, and YES it is. Hands down the car to buy as a DD, and its some some over Glorified Toyota with a Subaru motor that tries to hard to be something special, but thats another time and place with flamethrowers and F-Bombs lol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not to say you would, but don't let anyone tell you to buy something else because they think you shouldn't.

MPG is not what Ford claims. I've owned 13 cars so far and haven't had any issues reaching EPA ratings in my 64 mile round trip in any of those cars, except this one. No matter what I try in the ST, I can't get more than 30.

Shifting at 2,000 rpm, driving at 55, coasting while in gear...doesn't matter.

Good luck

1 - 20 of 173 Posts