Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I only know of a few people who have tried this so far, but I would like to get a list going for posterity as to what CAI's will FOR SURE work and which will not with the Mountune Front Strut Bar. I just installed mine tonight with my Injen intake, and it will fit, with slight modification to one of the existing CAI mounts and some sound buffering where the two rub. I will put a full write up on in a few days. If you have tried to install or have it on your car with CAI (or stock intake) please chime in.

From what I have read so far on the forum:

WILL WORK:
Stock
Mountune
Injen (with slight alterations below)
Roush
CPE (maybe)
Ram Air
FSWerks

WILL NOT WORK:
Cobb

Details on Injen:
Best to go ahead and take of the main tube while you disassemble the old bar and put the new one on. Then you will want to remove the rubber bolt and nut that holds the main tube in place at the very center. You can either choose to go without it (let the tube kinda free float) or do like I did and find a bolt that will go in it and put on some rubber grommets with it because you need to push the tube down about 1/2"-3/4" when you reattach it. One thing to be aware of is that pushing the tube down won't come without its consequences. this will likely put more pressure on the rear and outboard side of the silicone coupler that attaches the intake tube to the turbo, so you will want to check routinely to make sure it is still tight, and if you have a problem or hear something weird, start there.

Here's a pic of the new bolt I'm talking about:
image.jpg

You will also want to put something between the strut bar and the tube because they do touch a bit. I chose a piece of 3M double sided tape, and it goes just below the M on the strut bar as shown, of course your application may be slightly different.

image.jpg

These are the only slight modifications to the Injen that I had to do. I took a short drive and did not notice any added NVH from where the two are touching. I am also not ready to give a review on whether it actually helps anything. I will say it is a darn nice looking piece, welds look superb, machining is fantastic. All in all very impressed with my first Mountune part.

@Zach99

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you replace the existing black bar with the Mountune unit??
Nope, Mountune themselves said that's not a good idea. The Mountune bar goes under the stock bar.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bump!
would like know more. i have fswerks tube.
I read in another thread that FSWerks will work, but will wait on someone else to chime in to confirm that.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I can confirm it won't fit with a COBB intake. Been there, tried that....

IMG_20150603_201223209.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
Anyone serviced the brake fluid with this piece installed?

I bleed my brakes 6-10x's per year thanks to tracking and AutoX. This looks from the pics like it sits right on top of the filler cap.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Anyone serviced the brake fluid with this piece installed?

I bleed my brakes 6-10x's per year thanks to tracking and AutoX. This looks from the pics like it sits right on top of the filler cap.

Thanks.
It does sit right on top, but is offset enough that you can remove the cap - just getting to it will be a bit harder. I'm actually trying to figure out how to change my spark plugs this weekend. The brace goes right over the top of the jubilee clips that hold the intake on, which needs to be removed to access the 4th coil pack, and I can't seem to get a screwdriver in to loosen the jubilee clips, and with the brace in place it will be a pain if not impossible to move the intake even with them loosened. Definitely seems to make maintenance a PITA.

·
Registered
672 Posts
What if you bolt in to the top of the factory bar instead of under it? Would it give you that little extra for other intakes?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
What if you bolt in to the top of the factory bar instead of under it? Would it give you that little extra for other intakes?
Won't fit on top, must go under.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Just wanted to add one to the list, My Roush CAI fit perfectly with the mountune bar plenty of room between them

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just wanted to add one to the list, My Roush CAI fit perfectly with the mountune bar plenty of room between them
Do you have a pic of the clearance?

I have the same CAI and want the strut bar. Lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Doesn't fit with a COBB intake so I had to change to a mountune CAI because the price was right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd say I have a good half inch maybe more, they will never touch
Hey. did you manage to get a pic? I got it on order and want to see.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Sorry I will, I actually got a new CPE one coming so ill have to get a pic before I remove it and hopefully the CPE fits or my bar will be for sale too lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts