Ford Focus ST Forum banner

601 - 604 of 604 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Adjustment/selection of the rear swaybar is only critical for turn-in because when the inside wheel lifts off the ground, it's no longer doing anything. This is why the FoST is at its best in long sweepers.

That has been bouncing around inside my head for the past couple years and only yesterday did I recognize that, for STH design purposes(*), I can measure the G-force required for the wheel to lift. All I need to do is mount the GoPro where it can see a rear wheel, drive, and let Solostorm do its thing. Unfortunately, my autox season has ended... I did go through pics from events and matched them up with Solostorm data, but that exercise only told me what I already knew: by 1G, the wheel is already well in the air. So it likely lifts at around 0.9G, maybe 0.8G, which is too big of a range for design purposes. Pity the local parking lots are too small or have too many cameras.

(*) Designing for GS is pointless as tripoding "always happens" well before you've reached peak G-force. A sensitive-butt driver might be able to calibrate their corner entry better, but I'm paying more attention to whether my line is holding or not. For STH, however, knowing the number helps calibrate roll stiffness... @freakin_elrod will probably tell me "just use my spring rates because it will still always tripod" and he wouldn't be wrong, but I'd still like to make a coherent STH suspension design.
LOL My spring rates work though @gemery !! On a serious note, the tripoding isn't as bad in STH trim as it is in GS, given that you don't go with an overly soft front spring rate.

Reactions: gemery

·
Registered
887 Posts
2021 PAX is available now, 2021 PAX/RTP Index

GS is now the third slowest class, having leapfrogged ES. GS index has become faster by another +0.002, for a total change of +0.006 since 2019.

·
Registered
205 Posts
2021 PAX is available now, 2021 PAX/RTP Index

GS is now the third slowest class, having leapfrogged ES. GS index has become faster by another +0.002, for a total change of +0.006 since 2019.
What so is this index in seconds? As in these classes are literally separated by less time that in takes to blink the human eye?

·
Registered
887 Posts
What so is this index in seconds? As in these classes are literally separated by less time that in takes to blink the human eye?
On a 60-sec course in 2021, GS must run 0.36 sec faster than in 2019.

Reactions: bobharly
601 - 604 of 604 Posts