Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 604 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ST was classed in G-Street for the foreseeable future. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move...just kidding.

I'm coming from a 2002 WRX that I ran in STX for a number of years so I'm sort of out of the stock (street) class loop, but the ST placed pretty well nationally last year and with the new tire rules it could be a whole different ballgame.

My car is a bone stock 2013 ST3 in Ingot Silver. Yeah, maybe not the lightest option for a autox car but she's my DD and, well, Recaros. First step will be wheels and tires-I'm thinking of downsizing to a 17in wheel for gearing and cost. Tires are still up in the air for me, but right now I'm leaning towards Dunlops.

If we want to start spending money, from my interpretation of the rules it looks like fixed perch struts and aftermarket springs are allowed, along with one aftermarket anti roll bar. I believe Koni Yellows are available. Aftermarket catbacks are allowed as well, so some weight savings and power may be found there.

I'm excited to take this car out. Hopefully I won't shred the front tires too badly the first time out...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Dropping to 17s is good for cost but no gain for gearing as this thing excels at low end torque. I did drop to 17s but it was all for tire costs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Welcome to GS :) I'm glad you started this thread, there are quite a few random posts with really good info that can be tough to find. This is a great opportunity to turn this into a GS information thread where FoST owners can share setup info, discuss what's allowed/not allowed, post event results, etc. throughout the 2014 season & beyond. Lets keep it on topic with relevant info pertaining to G-Street set-ups, STX prep & beyond should go to other threads.

If we want to start spending money, from my interpretation of the rules it looks like fixed perch struts and aftermarket springs are allowed, along with one aftermarket anti roll bar. I believe Koni Yellows are available. Aftermarket catbacks are allowed as well, so some weight savings and power may be found there.

I'm excited to take this car out. Hopefully I won't shred the front tires too badly the first time out...
First off...no, aftermarket springs are NOT allowed in Street, only shocks/struts with perches that are OE size & location. Koni yellows are available, but only for the 2013 spring perch design. Yes, one bar can be changed...front or rear, your choice. Yes, cat back exhausts are legal, however one change this year is that the exhaust must exit in the stock location...no more short turn-downs under the car.

I have to take care of something at the moment, but I will post up more details about what's allowed in the Street Category a little later & try to create an easy to follow outline. I will also share my set-up, anyone else planning to run GS feel free to do the same!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have done Koni yellows, COBB front sway bar, 17" OZ Ultraleggeras on Dunlop ZII's, Hawk racing pads, Motul brake fluid, K&N Air Filter (rules say no extra openings on the filter..), the last nail will be a custom fabbed aluminum exhaust. Should be a significant savings in weight.

That is really all you can do in GS that has any impact. (Cat back, air filter, wheels, tires, 1 sway bar change, brake pads/fluid and alignment (which is about mute point on this car.) Brakes, and fluid also.) I am not sure how the new setup will be as it hasn't been tested yet on track.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Curious why you went with the front sway vice a heavier rear. Also for anyone running this class, aftermarket motor mounts are not allowed either. I ran G stock last year with my stock wheels and fusion ZRi tires (not a great tire, but took the abuse while I was learning), an ITG filter, and a Steada RSB.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Since camber is non adjustable, the idea is to increase the size on the front to keep more contact patch on the ground which should help with turn in and tire costs. This concept is no where near as advertised as the rear, I thinking I can still keep the oversteer feature by stiffening the rear dampers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to GS :) I'm glad you started this thread, there are quite a few random posts with really good info that can be tough to find. This is a great opportunity to turn this into a GS information thread where FoST owners can share setup info, discuss what's allowed/not allowed, post event results, etc. throughout the 2014 season & beyond. Lets keep it on topic with relevant info pertaining to G-Street set-ups, STX prep & beyond should go to other threads.

First off...no, aftermarket springs are NOT allowed in Street, only shocks/struts with perches that are OE size & location. Koni yellows are available, but only for the 2013 spring perch design. Yes, one bar can be changed...front or rear, your choice. Yes, cat back exhausts are legal, however one change this year is that the exhaust must exit in the stock location...no more short turn-downs under the car.

I have to take care of something at the moment, but I will post up more details about what's allowed in the Street Category a little later & try to create an easy to follow outline. I will also share my set-up, anyone else planning to run GS feel free to do the same!
Good to know. Do peole normally run Konis with stock springs in stock classes? I could see it for adjustability and tuning but i would be woried about the car being overdamped.

I have done Koni yellows, COBB front sway bar, 17" OZ Ultraleggeras on Dunlop ZII's, Hawk racing pads, Motul brake fluid, K&N Air Filter (rules say no extra openings on the filter..), the last nail will be a custom fabbed aluminum exhaust. Should be a significant savings in weight.

That is really all you can do in GS that has any impact. (Cat back, air filter, wheels, tires, 1 sway bar change, brake pads/fluid and alignment (which is about mute point on this car.) Brakes, and fluid also.) I am not sure how the new setup will be as it hasn't been tested yet on track.
This is pretty much the exact setup I had in my head. I'm intrigued by the shocks. I would love to hear your impressions if you drive the car on the street.
Curious why you went with the front sway vice a heavier rear. Also for anyone running this class, aftermarket motor mounts are not allowed either. I ran G stock last year with my stock wheels and fusion ZRi tires (not a great tire, but took the abuse while I was learning), an ITG filter, and a Steada RSB.
The bigger FSB will do two things for you: keep the car off the front bump stops in corners to reduce understeer and transfer weight to the inside rear tire in corners to reduce snap oversteer. It's counterintuitive but it works (both in real life and mathematically). Also as above it will control camber gain in the front.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Yeah, not sure how you would stiffen the rear dampers? And what I found on this car is stiff the rear to allow the front to hook up better and gain traction. I would think increasing the front would cause more under steer and less rotation? Most of the time my inside rear tire was not on the ground!

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is pretty much the exact setup I had in my head. I'm intrigued by the shocks. I would love to hear your impressions if you drive the car on the street.
Have only driven it once with the new shocks, and it was a huge improvement in cruising on full soft. Firm, but didn't even feel the railroad tracks at 40+

The bigger FSB will do two things for you: keep the car off the front bump stops in corners to reduce understeer and transfer weight to the inside rear tire in corners to reduce snap oversteer. It's counterintuitive but it works (both in real life and mathematically). Also as above it will control camber gain in the front.
Can I get amen!? lol most look at me like I am crazy, but for anyone debating it, it was a huge PITA to install.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, not sure how you would stiffen the rear dampers? And what I found on this car is stiff the rear to allow the front to hook up better and gain traction. I would think increasing the front would cause more under steer and less rotation? Most of the time my inside rear tire was not on the ground!
And that makes sense. The rear bar is going help with initial turn in (the car will feel like it is pointing or hooking up) but you're probably going to lose time through mid corner and exit-the car will probably feel loose and loose feels fast. But what is most likely happening is as you start to enter the corner (say a right hander) weight is transferred laterally and longitudinally towards the left front tire. This means the right rear is unloading and unloading and unloading until the rear tires (or tire of you've already lifted the inside rear) can't handle the cornering forces and boom- snap oversteer. It's important to remember that your car has the most grip when all four tires are on the ground, and equally loaded. This is what the bigger front bar tries to do. Swaybars not only affect weight transfer laterally, but diagonally as well. So your bigger front bar is reducing roll body roll (a good thing as that will delay the unloading of the inside rear) and well as helping transfer weight to the inside rear tire, bringing the car back towards that optimal "on the ground, equally loaded" state. So yeah, most guys that are really going at it will lift the inside rear tire, you want to try to delay that as much as you can to maximize your grip through the corner. By the time your inside rear is off the ground your sway bars are not helping you a whole lot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Most is driver mod anyways IMO, but I have my fingers crossed that the front sway will make a good difference while every one else who did the rear will be having fun sideways.

But I could be absolutely wrong, and for that I am cool with it. Takes some time to learn the new setup anyways. I will be in Cali this year for the Qualcomm match tour.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My set-up so far... 17x8 OZ Ultraleggerras with 245/40-17 R-S3's, & an Eibach adjustable 25MM hollow rear bar. Going in for a custom alignment in the coming weeks, then a light custom built thin-wall exhaust are next on the list.

I will be in Cali this year for the Qualcomm match tour.
Awesome! I will be there as well with a co-driver, & we have at least one more FoST from here in the SF Bay Area planning to make the trip to San Diego in April :)

Regarding bars...at this point, there really isn't a definitive answer as to which set-up will work best...only theories. That's what's nice about a thread like this, so we can all discuss what works/doesn't work with fellow owners in an effort to put the Focus ST up front this year in GS at Nationals.

I chose the rear bar route for a few reasons... 1) The biggest Achilles Heal IMO of the Focus ST is putting power down exiting corners. A big rear bar will help plant the inside front tire thereby reducing wheelspin. 2) Adjustability. The Eibach & Cobb bars (& the upcoming Strano Parts bar ;) ) all offer adjustability, so you can fine-tune the set-up within minutes at any event. 3) Weight. Unfortunately, the big front bars add weight to the car. 4) This one is selfish, but ease of installation...the front bar does not look like fun to install, the rear is like 15 minutes.

I admit though, like Mr hotness I was "this" close to buying a big front bar for every reason he mentions...so far the car is working well, but I haven't ruled out trying a front bar at some point because the potential benefits have lots of merit.

Looking forward to meeting some of you in person this year at National events, my plan is all 4 California National events (San Diego Tour, El Toro Pro, Crows Landing Tour & Pro) & Nationals in Lincoln :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mark is helping me with a project on the rear bar that will offer some differences from what's out there, differences I think will be good, but I'm biased. :)

No way I'd do a front bar on this car. It's already an overpowering of the inside front tire. A bigger front bar will only make that worse, much worse.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the Cobb rear bar, currently set to the max, team dynamics wheels, and koni yellows. Wheels are 18s since I bought them before the street rules settled down. I too was debating going with the front bar for the reasons mentioned. So, very interested in how it goes. This is my second year autocrossing and my driving its still too chaotic to decode setup changes easily. I am at least starting to notice how the car reacts to my changes. Just not sure what is faster yet. Next project is to tune the konis to the right settings.

Sent from GN II

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mark, good points for the rear bar. I hadn't thought of the issues the car has putting down power. It may just come down to preference, and who is able to get the power down coming out of corners.

I guess it's sort of an advantage for us NYRs that we don't really start our season until May. You west coast guys have already been playing for 2 months and can key us in on setups, haha.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Mark is helping me with a project on the rear bar that will offer some differences from what's out there, differences I think will be good, but I'm biased. :)

No way I'd do a front bar on this car. It's already an overpowering of the inside front tire. A bigger front bar will only make that worse, much worse.
is this the strano that used to revalve bilsteins for Fbodys? If so i had a set from you guys years ago :D

I would listen to this man

·
Registered
61 Posts
Koni yellows are available, but only for the 2013 spring perch design.
Oh, $#%!, there's a difference between the 2013 and 2014 spring perches? Possible to make the 2014 springs work, or am I SOL?

I just got a pretty screaming deal on a set of Konis, but I have a 2014. :furious:

So, anyone want to buy a set of 2013 Konis brand new in the box?

·
Registered
23 Posts
My set-up so far... 17x8 OZ Ultraleggerras with 245/40-17 R-S3's, & an Eibach adjustable 25MM hollow rear bar. Going in for a custom alignment in the coming weeks, then a light custom built thin-wall exhaust are next on the list.

Awesome! I will be there as well with a co-driver, & we have at least one more FoST from here in the SF Bay Area planning to make the trip to San Diego in April :)

Regarding bars...at this point, there really isn't a definitive answer as to which set-up will work best...only theories. That's what's nice about a thread like this, so we can all discuss what works/doesn't work with fellow owners in an effort to put the Focus ST up front this year in GS at Nationals.

I chose the rear bar route for a few reasons... 1) The biggest Achilles Heal IMO of the Focus ST is putting power down exiting corners. A big rear bar will help plant the inside front tire thereby reducing wheelspin. 2) Adjustability. The Eibach & Cobb bars (& the upcoming Strano Parts bar ;) ) all offer adjustability, so you can fine-tune the set-up within minutes at any event. 3) Weight. Unfortunately, the big front bars add weight to the car. 4) This one is selfish, but ease of installation...the front bar does not look like fun to install, the rear is like 15 minutes.

I admit though, like Mr hotness I was "this" close to buying a big front bar for every reason he mentions...so far the car is working well, but I haven't ruled out trying a front bar at some point because the potential benefits have lots of merit.

Looking forward to meeting some of you in person this year at National events, my plan is all 4 California National events (San Diego Tour, El Toro Pro, Crows Landing Tour & Pro) & Nationals in Lincoln :)
I think we have actually met before. I used to have a Zeta 3.0 SRT4 (486 whp) in the Long Beach area. Or maybe just have seen your name on the srtforums?

1 - 20 of 604 Posts