Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm pretty certain that this has been mentioned before, but what is it with the gap between the hood and the bodywork? Is there a specific reason Ford put it there, or is it simply lazy design and engineering? If it's the latter, then how do you correct it?

Premium Member
I'm pretty certain that this has been mentioned before, but what is with the gap between the hood and the bodywork? Is there a specific reason Ford put it there, or is it simply lazy design and engineering? If it's the latter, then how do you correct it?
Temps do stay lower with the gap. Most people think it's a flaw.

Sent from another galaxy.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The other day a guy was looking at the engine and when I closed the hood he thought it wasn't closed properly, simply because of the large gap. Admittedly I too had my doubts and tried to push it shut, but it was firmly in place. I thought maybe it was a cheap way Ford had found to increase air flow to the engine?

Registered
ford is well known for poorly fitting panels, the hood gap does look like the designers couldn't make the parts the right size or that each panel was designed by separate people and that they didn't check fitment until it was time to build the cars. it is after all just a quicker version of one if their cheapest economy car. probably has a lot to do with when the car was first designed for 2012, there was no panel that met up with the edge of the hood, the edge of the hood was just directly the border of the opening for the grill, then when they added the ST for 2013, they just changed up the bumper and made the grill opening bigger and lower and now the hood mates up to a piece of plastic.

definitely not going to be anywhere near as precise as something like a Porsche.

Registered
If you try to force the bumper and hood closer together to close the gap, you'll find out that they don't match. The bottom of the hood is a bit more round than the bumper. So Ford made the decision to keep the bumper and hood separated most likely because things didn't match and they didn't have time to redesign it (like 1LoudST said). Since air temps do go down with the gap, I'd almost say that it was designed that way intentionally but my main argument against that is that the hood gap itself can heavily differ between cars. Some members with 2013's have outrageous hood gap where it looks like the hood isn't closed properly while some have barely any at all.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 2014 has a ugly gap. Don't know what Ford was thinking.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yeah, my 2014 is exactly the same, hence why the guy thought it wasn't closed. Isn't there a way I've seen where you can drill the area where the hood attaches so it comes to rest further down?

Premium Member
You can get some slight adjustment on either side as the bump screws in. Just measure the threads. For venting, do not close it. Better yet get ride of that under hood blanket and that engine cover (heat sink central).

Registered
You can get some slight adjustment on either side as the bump screws in. Just measure the threads. For venting, do not close it. Better yet get ride of that under hood blanket and that engine cover (heat sink central).
What's the purpose of that thing on the underside of the hood? When I was a teenager I was told it was to protect the paint... I always thought it was more for noise augmentation.

Premium Member
What's the purpose of that thing on the underside of the hood? When I was a teenager I was told it was to protect the paint... I always thought it was more for noise augmentation.

Noise dampening. You can remove it and have more engine noise.

Registered
Venting, my a$$. Poor design and fitment more like. It used to really bug me but if they are all like that who cares? Looking at the 15+ models one can see that Ford saw the error of their ways and fixed it. Carry on...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Noise dampening. You can remove it and have more engine noise.

Is that all that black thing on the underside of the hood is for, noise dampening? I always thought it was to protect the underneath of the hood from something. In that case it wouldn't matter if I were to have holes cut into it so I can fit RS style vents?

Registered
The hood gap used to bother me. Now I've come to realize it's just part of my cars style. Kind of like someone sagging their pants..... My fost be like,.." ya, I slap bit**es.I torque steer. I gap my hood, so what? Cash me outside!".

Premium Member
Is that all that black thing on the underside of the hood is for, noise dampening? I always thought it was to protect the underneath of the hood from something. In that case it wouldn't matter if I were to have holes cut into it so I can fit RS style vents?
I would just remove it at that point. It most likely will start to fall apart it you cut into it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would just remove it at that point. It most likely will start to fall apart it you cut into it.

Somehow getting a brand new carbon hood with the vents built in is beginning to look more and more attractive...Once I replace it I could then sell the original mint hood on at a top used price!

Registered
Respect The Gap! Embrace The Gap!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts