Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Figured I’d share the other build I had going on,
Bought a 97’ Honda Civic about 8 months ago for $800. Reason being so cheap is the previous owner had stated it had a bad engine just wasn’t sure what. And I missed my old Hondas, so easy to work on.
Well took it home, on my way home it shifted and drove fine other than the smoke under WOT.. the story begins.
did a compression test.
cylinder 1 was 120 psi, cylinders 2,3 and 4 all came back at 160psi. Did a wet compression test to see if cylinder one would rise with oil. Turned out the rings in cylinder 1 was done.
Started disassembling and here’s the fun it was.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Here’s the 97 civic, clear coat fade, but no rust underneath and on the regular panels that these old Hondas typically have.
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Now, this is what I purchased the car for. B18C GSR engine and a matching transmission. Everything else didn’t care much for like the clear coat fade as I know a painter and the wheels and all that will be different. As we are looking over everything and inspecting we notice stock fuel injectors (250) and the car to be running E85 with no tune. BIG ISSUE unless the previous owner took the injectors out? But we new the issue right there.
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Trans off, everything away from the engine is off, just getting ready to pull the head off first and the bottom end as I didn’t have a engine hoist and it’s very easy to pick up and take apart.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design Rim

Head off, bottom end looking nasty.
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille Hood

Prepping for a cleaning and re-spray. (The pretty stuff)
Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Car

Sanded down, cleaned, Resprayed with a anodized Grey maybe 3 and a half cans and a top coat to protect it.
Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Road surface

Bottom end, engine, trans, and brackets all re sprayed and coated.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Well this was after the engine had been to the machine shop for block maintenance, honing and bored the cylinder walls it’s a 1.8L stock and now it’s a 1.85
New pistons, new bearings, new rods, better head gasket mounts, and Changed the transmission color lol. New gaskets and seals from top to bottom.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Engineering Auto part

Head on, super tech valves and seals. Keepers and all were fine just left that. New hoses as the previous owner cut a lot of short cuts and rigged some crazy stuff together.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Vehicle Automotive design

Now here she is, everything is almost hooked up just waiting on few small things like extra hoses and battery relocation a fitting, and plugs. But the car is almost there. I’m glad to say Me and my buddy did it the right way and everything was done as should no shortcuts or corners back together. Big thanks to my good buddy for having time and helping with a lot. All new Honda Genuine fluids. I’d take 10 of these civics apart before I do the ST.😂 thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice work man! So what's the plans, tune for e85 again??
Thank you, but yes the plans now just get the extra parts. Contact the tuner, grab some fresh E85 and break her in like she should. As now the car will have 550cc injectors so she can run the E properly.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,253 Posts
Thank you, but yes the plans now just get the extra parts. Contact the tuner, grab some fresh E85 and break her in like she should. As now the car will have 550cc injectors so she can run the E properly.
So what kind of power does an engine with these type of mods make on e85?

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So the GSR 1.8L stock is 160
Believe with all that’s done on this set up it should be a healthy 200-220 somewhere there. But I plan to break the engine in and go turbo down the road.
Guess it all just depends though what’s really all done.
I have 2 good buddies with Hondas B series engines and they are both turbo and on E but one is street tuned by a big local guy in Louisville so as of power can’t say but I know they have been very reliable except the transmissions. 1 other buddy he was pro tuned making 320hp not sure torque and that was on a b16 which is 1.6l but his block was stock, just a big diesel turbo and e85.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got some videos of some pulls just not to sure how to post them. Lol

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow this is miles simpler than an ST, I've always like these old hondas.
I promise you it’s so much easier, idk how many times I’ve asked for help around this platform but it is indeed simpler. And cheaper.

·
Registered
2016 ST2
188 Posts
I had a 93 Civic Si with B16A swap. Loved that car. Had ice cold A/C and power everything worked. Succumbed to the Ohio salts and slowly rotted away. Looked into restoring it, but just wasn't in the card where I was at that point in life. Would love to get another to tinker with, but they're so damn expensive now -- and anything in the midwest is rotted out.

Looking good!

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a 93 Civic Si with B16A swap. Loved that car. Had ice cold A/C and power everything worked. Succumbed to the Ohio salts and slowly rotted away. Looked into restoring it, but just wasn't in the card where I was at that point in life. Would love to get another to tinker with, but they're so damn expensive now -- and anything in the midwest is rotted out.

Looking good!
Thank you and yes those b16s are very happy reving engines. But yeah everyone’s asking crazy amount for them that’s why I quickly jumped on it and just took the timing bringing it back but like you, if it had rust or anything to I would’ve stayed away and maybe bought the swap and put it in another shell. But yeah they are very fun and easy to work on.

Reactions: oVrKiLL

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
  • Love

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thank looks like it’s going to turn out pretty awesome!!

my cousin (who has helped me do almost everything to my ST) is in the middle of restoring an 89 CRX with a kswap and AWD. that car is going to be nuts!!
Thank you so much, wanted to make sure it was done right for sure, good good friend had help do this build so I am blessed. Yes the CRX is going to be insane k swapped.

Reactions: thadarkjinja

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
  • Love

·
Super Moderator
2017 Kona Blue ST1
4,042 Posts
You're giving me flash backs 🤣

Nice work!

Reactions: ST1Dale and oVrKiLL

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus ST
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're giving me flash backs 🤣

Nice work!
😂😂 it was a have to for the price. Thought if I was going to do it, I will do it the right and fun way. Thank you what did you use to have?

Reactions: SSgtjrobertson
1 - 20 of 30 Posts