Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done watching a video about the RS and I saw this little link in the description. Following it I discovered someone posted on the RS forums about this actual Ford Motor Company documentation describing how our warranty claims get handled! I saved a personal copy, then did a quick search to see if anyone posted it here. To my honest surprise I couldnt find anything, so here is my little (late) Christmas gift to all of you! KNOWLEDGE!!!! Reading this will give you a better understanding of how Ford handles our modified cars, and will help you choose which mods are wisest and safest to use for your particular application! From reading this, the simple resonator delete I have seems 100% harmless, provided the tech knows what it looks like on the inside and how it works, if he doesnt, SHOW HIM/HER PICTURES.

Knowledge is power, if you are already modified, you might find knowing how Ford handles your car to give you an edge and be better prepared to defend yourself should the need arise!

Merry (belated) Christmas!! And a Happy New Year everyone!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Oh wow, this is a gold mine. Thanks for uploading!

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Just love how they can tie an aftermarket BOV to turbo failure or an air intake to over loading the engine... i mean really...

·
Super Moderator
8,079 Posts
Omg. This post is literal gold. I've tried to find this documentation a few times because I always knew it existed. I'm sticky-ing it because it would be VERY beneficial to people looking at the idea of warranty work. Also, for those who get denied warranty claims and are wishing to figure out why.

·
Super Moderator
8,079 Posts
I agree if the BOV is not opening correctly... the stock one can do the same ...
Please, the stock unit is too garbage to do that, it would pop and leak before ever getting stuck :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,079 Posts
Wonder if that would deny warranty work.. haha
Well if it's fully stock and you have a stock tune, it would be warranty replaced, yes. However if you give them a scapegoat I guarantee you they're taking it and saving money. As though they don't make enough from us to cover it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
407 Posts
It's not all about money though. If someone has aftermarket parts then a lot of times they will remove them and lie to dealerships (usually very easy to tell) so if you have some aftermarket parts they can't determine whether or not you have had others. I mean let's be honest, I've seen multiple posts on here about people who purposely try and take advantage of Ford and a dealership.

This also makes it more difficult for the factory, suppliers, and design engineers to diagnose actual problems.

IMO if you decide to go the aftermarket route than you accept responsibilities for any issues that could be tied to that, even if it is some what of a stretch (ie. intake).

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys, you really dont need to worry so much. I posted this so you could just be better in the know. Ford isnt going to deny you a claim on your turbo if you do something like hack off the resonator, reason: the resonator is a straight through pipe, no constrictions, it just absorbs sound vibrations. Because replacing it with a pipe doesnt effect flow, you wont "overboost" the turbo and possibly put yourself at risk for denial. Now......that being said, if you deleted the muffler or replaced the catback......you might be in trouble, especially if you did a DP as well. Certain dealers wont mind catbacks, like mine, they install borla on their cars before they even sell them, but regular dealers, if you come in with the tips changed they will tell you to take it somewhere else, simply because they dont want to do all the troubleshooting involved with a modified car. I posted this, simply so you can know the troubleshooting process Ford has in place. I just titled the thread "the Ford Warranty Denial Guide" to be provocative and get attention. So, @CaliJoe you are NOT screwed, your best bet is, if you run into a problem, which based on that tail light photo and your join date, you have a facelift model, you probably wont have any issues....usually issues creep up in the first year or so (20k miles or so) and not beyond that, look at Ak2112, his car has almost no miles, less than my car has I believe, and its been in the shop for almost a year.... Chances are, if you havent had a problem yet, you wont have one. Just dont push the car too far beyond stock parameters in the tune, and make sure your BOV is dialed to the same release tension as the stock PCV valve, and you will be just fine. The Dealer isnt gonna just be like "oh he's tuned FAIL" that isnt the law.... the magnison moss law states the dealer/company has to PROVE beyond all reasonable doubt, that the mod in question caused the problem, meaning if you are tuned, they will look at the tuning parameters, if you have a good fuel air ratio and your not dialed up to 50lbs of boost, then they will probably see its reasonable and not the cause of the failure, and move on to the next most probable cause.

Ford knows we are a stubborn lot. They KNOW we will get lawyers involved, the KNOW we will drag out claims. And claims and lawyers cost money. So what is the likelyhood of Ford fighting you tooth and nail for that new turbo or new transmission or driveshaft? Fairly slim...if you get denied and put up a fuss, and get a lawyer on the phone and they give Ford a call, expect a phone call in a day or so "hey! we goofed! Come back and we'll fix you right up!" why? Repairing the car was cheaper than fighting you in court. Simple as that. Now....if you need a new engine (7500+labor installed) and that lawyer only costs 5500..... well....your **** out a luck son..... I always say, do minimally invasive, reversible mods, that dont do harm to the engine or major components. With this information, you all KNOW what Ford is looking for, use it to your advantage and may it help you in deciding what mods you choose for your ST.

But in the end, if you dont care about the warranty, then skip this thread all together, if you got the money to replace an engine or whatever component have you, and you are making a track car, this thread isnt for you.

With all that said, Happy Driving Everyone and have a great new year!

·
Registered
16 Posts
First of all, thanks to the OP for posting this. Its always good to have as much information as possible, regardless of whether or not you are looking to use it in an attempt to "fool" a Ford technician or just because you want to know more about how they operate. Second, this sparked an interesting bit of thought in my mind. About a month ago I bought a new ST and just the other day I received in the mail, from Ford, a little flyer for Ford Performance parts. It got me thinking, my car is warrantied for quite some time, why are they already trying to tempt me with upgrades?! (Thinking it would void my warranty). I could certainly understand why Ford would deny a warranty repair if they found that a 3rd party manufacturer's part, not installed by Ford, was believed to be a possible cause for damage. However, what if I were to purchase a Ford Performance (or Ford Racing or Mountune as mentioned in this document) part, from Ford, and have it installed by a Ford technician at a Ford dealership. 1) Would they even do non-repair/maintenance work? 2) If so, would using their part, installed by them, keep my car's warranty in tact?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First of all, thanks to the OP for posting this. Its always good to have as much information as possible, regardless of whether or not you are looking to use it in an attempt to "fool" a Ford technician or just because you want to know more about how they operate. Second, this sparked an interesting bit of thought in my mind. About a month ago I bought a new ST and just the other day I received in the mail, from Ford, a little flyer for Ford Performance parts. It got me thinking, my car is warrantied for quite some time, why are they already trying to tempt me with upgrades?! (Thinking it would void my warranty). I could certainly understand why Ford would deny a warranty repair if they found that a 3rd party manufacturer's part, not installed by Ford, was believed to be a possible cause for damage. However, what if I were to purchase a Ford Performance (or Ford Racing or Mountune as mentioned in this document) part, from Ford, and have it installed by a Ford technician at a Ford dealership. 1) Would they even do non-repair/maintenance work? 2) If so, would using their part, installed by them, keep my car's warranty in tact?
Delicate situation. And really, it depends on the dealer. The dealer I bought my car from is a mod dealer. They pre-modify their cars and sell them as "VFR Edition" cars (Vista Ford Racing) These cars are under warranty. However, if you buy a normal car, and choose to later add these parts, you can have them installed by the dealer and they will warranty any repairs under warranty. But the process is, they dont call Ford if the part is found to be the cause of the repair, they call Mountune or the manufacturer of the Ford Performance part (ex: borla makes the Ford Performance Exhaust, so they would call Borla for a repair caused by their parts) and have them pay for it, but if there is a conflict....like Borla doesnt find the evidence the dealer is providing to be adequate proof for repair, they can deny it, in which case the repair might not be warrantable. But I know others who bought their premodified VFR cars and have had any issues with warranty.

However, my local Ford dealer, Simi Valley Ford, doesnt want anything to do with anything modified. And I mentioned to them about the Mountune and Ford Performance parts, and their Service Foreman said "you have to buy the car from a dealer with those parts on it, otherwise good luck getting it warranty repaired, Ford designed the car perfectly, I dont have time to deal with cars that have been fiddled with and would prefer not to have them in my shop" So I went to the service manager and she told me "I trust my Foreman's judgement, and if that is what he said to you, then maybe you should take your car elsewhere for service".

You need to take your car to a mod friendly dealership, most dealers arent. But bigger ones might be, like Galpin, Vista, AutoNation, etc. Making friends with your service manager and foreman is also a boon, but not a guarantee for everything. I made sure to buy my car from a mod dealer because I planned on doing a full build in the future, after I put a few thousand miles on the car, and my dealer will do all the installs. Its not a guarantee for repair, but it helps.

My advice for new ST owners is: Buy your car with a standard warranty, if your payment plan is longer than the warranty, get an extended warranty through your insurance agency, most offer them and at much cheaper prices than the dealership. Once the car is paid off, and the warranty is up, mod to your hearts content. In the mean time, do well thought out, minimally invasive mods, that shouldnt effect performance greatly. That being said, tuning is a big nono unless you got the money to pay for a new engine set aside. If you MUST tune your car, wait at least 10-20k miles. Most defects will surface during this time, if you dont have anything go wrong by then, you wont have to worry about a tune making any defects surface sooner and giving the dealer an easy way out of warranty repair.

In the end, it comes down to common sense and how deep your pockets are. Good luck and happy driving!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dealers have the right of refusal to work on any vehicle and they can black ball your Ford warranty if you piss them off bad enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Delicate situation. And really, it depends on the dealer. The dealer I bought my car from is a mod dealer. They pre-modify their cars and sell them as "VFR Edition" cars (Vista Ford Racing) These cars are under warranty. However, if you buy a normal car, and choose to later add these parts, you can have them installed by the dealer and they will warranty any repairs under warranty. But the process is, they dont call Ford if the part is found to be the cause of the repair, they call Mountune or the manufacturer of the Ford Performance part (ex: borla makes the Ford Performance Exhaust, so they would call Borla for a repair caused by their parts) and have them pay for it, but if there is a conflict....like Borla doesnt find the evidence the dealer is providing to be adequate proof for repair, they can deny it, in which case the repair might not be warrantable. But I know others who bought their premodified VFR cars and have had any issues with warranty.

However, my local Ford dealer, Simi Valley Ford, doesnt want anything to do with anything modified. And I mentioned to them about the Mountune and Ford Performance parts, and their Service Foreman said "you have to buy the car from a dealer with those parts on it, otherwise good luck getting it warranty repaired, Ford designed the car perfectly, I dont have time to deal with cars that have been fiddled with and would prefer not to have them in my shop" So I went to the service manager and she told me "I trust my Foreman's judgement, and if that is what he said to you, then maybe you should take your car elsewhere for service".

You need to take your car to a mod friendly dealership, most dealers arent. But bigger ones might be, like Galpin, Vista, AutoNation, etc. Making friends with your service manager and foreman is also a boon, but not a guarantee for everything. I made sure to buy my car from a mod dealer because I planned on doing a full build in the future, after I put a few thousand miles on the car, and my dealer will do all the installs. Its not a guarantee for repair, but it helps.

My advice for new ST owners is: Buy your car with a standard warranty, if your payment plan is longer than the warranty, get an extended warranty through your insurance agency, most offer them and at much cheaper prices than the dealership. Once the car is paid off, and the warranty is up, mod to your hearts content. In the mean time, do well thought out, minimally invasive mods, that shouldnt effect performance greatly. That being said, tuning is a big nono unless you got the money to pay for a new engine set aside. If you MUST tune your car, wait at least 10-20k miles. Most defects will surface during this time, if you dont have anything go wrong by then, you wont have to worry about a tune making any defects surface sooner and giving the dealer an easy way out of warranty repair.

In the end, it comes down to common sense and how deep your pockets are. Good luck and happy driving!
Thanks for the extensive response. My post was a question of curiosity more than anything. My car is practically brand new so it is easy for me to say I'm going to leave it stock right now. However, I did get an extended service plan with it. I forget the details off the top of my head but pretty much the entire car is covered for at least 5 years, some 6. So as long as I'm paying for that, there is really no reason for me to touch the car otherwise. It is not my daily driver so I'm just going to focus on keeping it clean and protected.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks for the extensive response. My post was a question of curiosity more than anything. My car is practically brand new so it is easy for me to say I'm going to leave it stock right now. However, I did get an extended service plan with it. I forget the details off the top of my head but pretty much the entire car is covered for at least 5 years, some 6. So as long as I'm paying for that, there is really no reason for me to touch the car otherwise. It is not my daily driver so I'm just going to focus on keeping it clean and protected.
Good on you. But don't let that stop you from enjoying the car. Logical, minimally invasive mods are fine, that's the main reason I posted this guide, it was between chatting with forum members and a fellow st owner in the service department that led me to do my resonator delete, I almost did the muffler delete, which changes the "flow" of the exhaust, which according to this guide, is a no no to the dealer. Again, odd....seeing as my dealer sells cars with borla (not ford performance rebranded, actual borla) preinstalled on some cars...

Dealers have the right of refusal to work on any vehicle and they can black ball your Ford warranty if you piss them off bad enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hence why I wont take my car back to my local dealer. I know a mustang ecoboost owner who took his car to them for an oil change and got a free voided warranty for his BOV and exhaust. I was under the impression that dealers couldnt "void" the warranty, only deny you warranty repair if a repair wasnt "warrantable", but apparently I was wrong, because this poor guy had it happen to him.

My retail dealer, the one who sold me the car, recommended the resonator delete, said they get cars in all the time who have it done and nothing is ever reported, nor have they seen anything bad result from having one. Hence why I got mine done, and it will be the ONLY thing I do performance wise until the warranty is up.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Remembering each dealer is an INDEPENDENT OPERATOR. They ARE the folks who actually buy the cars from Ford.
And the dealer sells them to customers.
The DEALER is Ford's customer.
I have read posts of guys who blew up the engine while racing ,dealers knows it ,and they STILL get a warranty replacement.
(pretty rare , but has been done)
Other folks just get the shaft ofr just presenting with a BOV.. All depends on the individual dealer

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay... I need to make an apology here. I have been heavily dissing Simi Valley Ford in my posts lately, and I ended up needing to take my car into them for service (first vehicle service/inspection) on Friday. I told them up front the car was modified and the gentleman I spoke to (not the service foreman this time) said it wasnt a problem and they took the car in, I actually got a few compliments from the service staff on the way the car looked/sounded.

So a couple of hours go by reading magazines and watching the Today show on their tv in the lobby and my car is done! I pay the 55 dollars and she is driven out to me by a very nice gentleman and he gives me a spread sheet showing very detailed information about the vehicle's health, tire wear, brake wear, oil used in the change, etc and he went over it all with me. I took the car home and let it sit over night, then next morning I checked all the fluids, everything right the way it should be, they did an excellent job on my car (they didnt even change my seating position which shocked me!). And dare I say, I will be taking it back to them in the future!

So...that being said.... This is a formal apology to Simi Valley Ford: Home of the Ford Man: I goofed..... I am sorry for talking sh%t when I shouldnt have, you guys rock and I will return in the future. A++

1 - 20 of 43 Posts