Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RIP FiST brahs

The Ford Fiesta Is Dead In America - The Drive

Back in November, Ford unveiled the next generation of Fiesta subcompact, leaving us in eager anticipation of a fresh, new version of Ford's positively peppy supermini (and its awesome ST variant, of course). Plot twist: it ain't coming to our shores. That's right, Ford's economy hatch will no longer be sold in America from the 2018 model year onward. In terms of U.S. availability, the 2018 Ford Fiesta ST will officially be as foreign and exotic as the Alpine A110 revival mid-engined sports car (not really, but you get the point).

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
That's a shame. I almost went with a FiST, instead of the FoST.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I suspect the prolonged low gas prices have helped with this short sighted decision. Probably won't be the only small US car cancelled. In a few years when gas prices rise, they will be stuck with millions of 6000 pound supertrucks will the imports eat their breakfast again.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Small car/sedan sales all across the board are down, VERY down.

Huge shift to compact/sub-compact SUV's which are just lifted hatchbacks that people pay a premium for ride height. Something to note is, gas prices have zero bearing on these vehicles as they match or in some cases get even better fuel mileage than most mid-size sedans do.

Instead of Fiesta, we'll now be getting the CUV that is based on the Fiesta: enter the Ford "EcoSport".

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've seen very few Fiestas in the wild, and only one or two STs. It is very difficult to make money making small cars in the US.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I went to the dealer looking to buy a fiesta but actually got my focus cheaper.. The fiesta was a bit small. I wonder what this will do to the value of them as I may want to scoop up a used one in the future

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
677 Posts
I love my FoST. The Fiesta was too small.. I do not like being able to touch the passenger door without leaning over... way too small. But they made excellent track cars... A lot of FiST in my town, at least a handful if not more, and countless SE, SES, etc models. Shame to see the Fiesta go after such a short stay. All I have to say is... Ford better not even think about touching the ST trim level of the Focus.... it would start a riot...and you would see me on the front lines.

If you want one, best to scoop one up now. Some dealers have a few left in stock, but the ones at the dealer I bought my Focus at have almost all sold out. I think they only have 2-3 left in ST trim, maybe 20 Fiestas all together.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Fiesta didn't sell well here, plain and simple. Most of the small to midsize car segments are hurting right now. FCA killed off the Dart and 200, due to poor sales...GM is looking at eliminating a few from their lineup as well. Can't stay profitable by building what doesn't sell. CUV/SUV/Trucks is where the money is right now.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Same reason why the Focus is going to be imported rather than built in the U.S. Focus sales were 219K units in 2014, 202K in 2015, 168K in 2016, and look to be on track to hit about 140K in 2017. It costs hundreds of millions of dollars to tool up a factory to produce a new model. You can't recover that investment building 100K units/year of a low price, low profit small car in the U.S. Sad but true for those of us that don't care to drive a monster truck to the office every day.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The ST versions of the Fiesta and Focus are great cars.

The desire for CUVs and the Power S***, I mean PowerShift autos attached to the non-ST/RS models are the double whammy killing the market for Ford's small cars.

Case in point:

My mother in law was wanting to get a Focus Hatch in an Auto trans. She was inspired by my ST, and figured the Auto and 160hp DI engine would be fine for her needs. Then she drove a friends '15 and heard about the recall. That was the end of the road for getting the Focus.

Now we are looking for an Escape (which is exactly the car killing the Fiesta/Focus), and I don't blame her.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Small car/sedan sales all across the board are down, VERY down.

Huge shift to compact/sub-compact SUV's which are just lifted hatchbacks that people pay a premium for ride height. Something to note is, gas prices have zero bearing on these vehicles as they match or in some cases get even better fuel mileage than most mid-size sedans do.

Instead of Fiesta, we'll now be getting the CUV that is based on the Fiesta: enter the Ford "EcoSport".
Maybe we will see a hot version, like the Nismo Juke or GLA45 AMG.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I initially went into it looking for a Fiesta ST and had my mind set on one. Here's where Ford messed up in my opinion though. When I was shopping (August 2016) they were discounting the Focus ST by $2k more. At the end of the day, I could get either, but for the same price. The Focus offers more, and for the same price it was no brainer in my case. Had they discounted the Fiesta ST by as much or close, I would be driving that today.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts