Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idk about y’all but I like wheels, even OEM wheels. The stock ST wheels (snowflakes and premium) are cool but I also like seeing other unique combinations from the Ford catalogue. This thread is for anyone who’s running with some modified/coated stock wheels or even some rare OEM options. I saw an ST with escape wheels and I feel like something like that should belong here, in this thread.

If you have straight up stock wheels you can share those too if you’ve powder coated them or something, as long as it’s OEM and “different”, I want to encourage more unique OEM setups and capture them here. Please share a picture below with the specs and Ford part# for your wheels, for future reference:

Ford Racing Wheels (M-1007-PF188MB)
18x8, 28lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
603 Posts
Ford Racing Wheels (M-1007-PF188MB)
18x8, 28lbs
These wheels look like the same wheels that come standard on the European Focus Red/Black edition. Have not seen them in real life yet on a ST, but pictures look good

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just can't get over that weight. Ford could have made the published curb weight under 3200lb while actually improving ride by doing a middle weight flow formed wheel. 3223 - 4(26-20) = 3199.

Those straight 5 spoke wheels do look good though.

Edit: $128 summit racing, not bad!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Someone must be making some nice light wheels. I think my magnesium corvette wheels run 17kbs for 17" and 18lbs for the rear 18"

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I just can't get over that weight. Ford could have made the published curb weight under 3200lb while actually improving ride by doing a middle weight flow formed wheel. 3223 - 4(26-20) = 3199.

Those straight 5 spoke wheels do look good though.

Edit: $128 summit racing, not bad!
Most OEM wheels are cast wheels. It’s cost effective and good enough. OEM Flow formed or forged wheels would cost so much it wouldn’t be worth it for them. The car competes well it it’s established rate.

The GTI, for example, you can get the clubsport wheels but you’ll spend over 2 grand just to get lightweight OEM wheels. Ford knows the one percentile of ppl who care enough to do that will just buy aftermarket wheels for cheaper. So though im for more OEM options (LW would be great) I can see why they don’t bother (guaranteed 99% of ppl don’t even know how much their car weighs).

And yeah I got my set for $500. A steal.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These wheels look like the same wheels that come standard on the European Focus Red/Black edition. Have not seen them in real life yet on a ST, but pictures look good
Yes these are the black edition wheels. They also are a re-coated version of the higher end focus (sport or titanium?). I’m not too familiar with the focus trims but you could get these in silver in the states on your focus.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yes these are the black edition wheels. They also are a re-coated version of the higher end focus (sport or titanium?). I’m not too familiar with the focus trims but you could get these in silver in the states on your focus.

They look amazing. I've personally been saving for a set of OL R716 bronze wheels but these are another great option. They're heavy but the lower price is worth it in my book.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Holy Boat Anchor batman!! 28lbs is a heavy AF wheel, considering snowflakes are 25lbs and deemed heavy. Beware the CJ black Ford Racing snowflakes, I had them, they are cheaply plastic coated. When you torque your lugnuts on them they tend to crack around the lugs then progressively get worse, I'd shy away from them.

·
Super Moderator
8,089 Posts
Holy Boat Anchor batman!! 28lbs is a heavy AF wheel, considering snowflakes are 25lbs and deemed heavy. Beware the CJ black Ford Racing snowflakes, I had them, they are cheaply plastic coated. When you torque your lugnuts on them they tend to crack around the lugs then progressively get worse, I'd shy away from them.
Agreed on weight, 25 is heavy enough...28 is just stupid heavy and will make a noticeable difference in the "quickness" of the car. That is where function>form

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Agreed on weight, 25 is heavy enough...28 is just stupid heavy and will make a noticeable difference in the "quickness" of the car. That is where function>form
I saw snowflakes were 30lbs on the Ford parts website but Maybe I’m wrong and someone could provide that info to me. It’s the same spec as the premium wheels that I had so no real difference to me.

Regardless, my car isn’t some track Beast, it’s a daily driver. A few pounds doesn’t bother me. Car does operate more nimbly with lightweight wheels so yeah I’d go aftermarket if you want to track it or something. Otherwise it’s fine.

·
Super Moderator
8,089 Posts
They look amazing. I've personally been saving for a set of OL R716 bronze wheels but these are another great option. They're heavy but the lower price is worth it in my book.
See the PM I am sending you here in a second :cool:

·
Registered
239 Posts
I saw snowflakes were 30lbs on the Ford parts website but Maybe I’m wrong and someone could provide that info to me. It’s the same spec as the premium wheels that I had so no real difference to me.

Regardless, my car isn’t some track Beast, it’s a daily driver. A few pounds doesn’t bother me. Car does operate more nimbly with lightweight wheels so yeah I’d go aftermarket if you want to track it or something. Otherwise it’s fine.

The FoST is a little chubby by my standards, but unsprung mass can have a huge impact on general ride quality. My wife once had a Carbio, 2850ish lb curb weight. I went from steelies on heavy continenetals to OEM alloys on Kuhmos lightest wet friendly 400TW, shaving a total of 10lb per corner, and the ride went from semi rough and often unsettled to smooth as a Buick regal yet more grippy at a slight loss of on center feedback.

When cast aluminum weighs as much as stamped steel I'd rather have the stamped steel. Stamped steel is stronger and more durable than pot cast aluminum, that's why cop cars use steel rims.

Plenty of manufacturers contract good, flow formed wheels. They may not be Hypergrams, but real weight savings can be had for minimal cost increase. I'm not sure why this is such a foreign concept to Ford.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The FoST is a little chubby by my standards, but unsprung mass can have a huge impact on general ride quality. My wife once had a Carbio, 2850ish lb curb weight. I went from steelies on heavy continenetals to OEM alloys on Kuhmos lightest wet friendly 400TW, shaving a total of 10lb per corner, and the ride went from semi rough and often unsettled to smooth as a Buick regal yet more grippy at a slight loss of on center feedback.

When cast aluminum weighs as much as stamped steel I'd rather have the stamped steel. Stamped steel is stronger and more durable than pot cast aluminum, that's why cop cars use steel rims.

Plenty of manufacturers contract good, flow formed wheels. They may not be Hypergrams, but real weight savings can be had for minimal cost increase. I'm not sure why this is such a foreign concept to Ford.
I fully understand the concept of unsprung weight, my previous car had 17lb LW wheels, just depends what your modding goals are. Most ppl don’t have cause to shave weight on their car. Especially when it’s a daily.

As for steelies, cops use them as you say: bc they’re durable. They need to be able to drive over curbs, Go off-road or brave rough terrain at the drop of a hat and not get a cracked wheel. They’re much more durable wheels for sure but, again, to my point, most of us aren’t doing that with our FoST.

Stock wheels are just fine, that’s the purpose of this thread. Lots of LW or aftermarket wheel discussions out there so let’s not distract from the topic.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts