Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK folks, here's a little project that I've been working on. I'm calling it the EVH HYBRID Shifter.
First, a little back story. I installed a Breedt Quick Shift Arm on my 2014 ST on December 7th, 2013 with 1,714 miles on it. From the beginning, I've been using Position 2, which is a 39% throw reduction that also moves the shifter forward 25mm. My car now has just over 22,000 miles, so I obviously love the Breedt Arm.
In May of 2016, I upped my shifter game a bit when I added an FRPP Short Shifter with solid shifter base bushings; at this point, I felt that I was where I needed to be with my shifter mods. I've seen shifter options come and go, but I was happy until I tried Deuce McCracken's setup at Focus Rising in June of 2017. Deuce is using all solid bushings, uprated shift cable ends, I believe the Boomba Short Shifter, and the JRB Adjustable Shift Arm. To say the least, his setup is amazing. I have never experienced a cable shifter that felt as positive and mechanical as his setup; it really feels more like direct linkage like you'd find in a Mustang with an aftermarket shifter. But, I also thought that it might be a little too radical for me.
DSC00408 by Michael Read, on Flickr
A month went by, and lo and behold, JBR was having a July 4th Sale. I had some funds hanging out in my PayPal account, so I decided to give the JBR Arm on try. I got it installed on July 16th, with all three weights, and I really liked the action. the only problem was, I didn't like the stock shifter position after driving with the Breedt +25mm position for 3-1/2 years. I gave it some time, but I was having a hard time adjusting to the shifter position.
I had the Breedt just hanging out on my workbench, so I took a closer look at it and had a thought; why not drill and tap the weighted wings of the Breedt Arm and add the weights from the JBR Arm?
I first tapped just one of the wings on the Breedt to give it a try.
DSC00414 by Michael Read, on Flickr
DSC00406 by Michael Read, on Flickr
I added 2 JBR weights, reinstalled the Breedt arm, and checked the action and clearances. With 2 JBR weights stacked, the clearance was getting pretty tight under the air box, so I dropped back to one weight.
DSC00409 by Michael Read, on Flickr
DSC00410 by Michael Read, on Flickr
The additional weight feels great, but more importantly, I got the +25 position back, so it's the best of both worlds. The EVH HYBRID was born!
Tonight, I removed the Breedt Arm again and drilled and tapped the other wing.
DSC00413 by Michael Read, on Flickr
I'm waiting for another JBR weight to arrive to try it out with double weights, so I'll report back then.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JBR shipped my second weight this morning.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Couple questions.
What exactly do the counter weights do for the shifter, is it just for feel?
If clearance is an issue on the breedt arm, have you considered mounting them to the "side" rather than on top of the arm which would more closely mimic the JBR setup?

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The added weight gives it a more mechanical feel. Due to the shape of the Breedt arm, I think that the clearances would be tighter if the weights were on the sides. Plus, it was easier to drill on the flats than on the curved sides.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Even with considering I benefited from this experiment.. I'm very interested to see how you like this! V excited to get and install my new JBR ;)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Ooooo you so fancy drilling and tapping things! I was just going to zip-tie something heavy to the ends of my Breedt arm haha.

I'm also in the process of modding the stock Ford knob to get it up around 270g or so. Removing all that white plastic and possibly drilling out some aluminum to replace it with Tungsten putty.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The second weight from JBR arrived yesterday. I bolted it up before work this morning. I'll see how it feels tonight after work and report back.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FEEEEEEELS GOOOOOOOD!!
Shifter has some real nice heft to it, very similar to the JBR.
For anyone with the Breedt Arm, this is an excellent modification for a total investment of less than $20.00.
I'll post-up final installed pictures later.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
The Breedt arm, which I use and also with the 1" forward setting, has probably the lowest polar moment of inertia of all of the shift arms on the market.

I tried the 40% reduction setting and found it too notchy, though I liked the shorter throw, and like you no way am I giving up the 1" forward setting. So adding some weight to increase the polar moment of inertia sounds like a great idea to be able to use the 40% reduction setting more comfortably.

Each of the JBR counter weights is 1/4 lb.; do I understand that you added 1/2 lb. total to your Breedt arm?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm pretty certain each JBR weight is 4 ounces, so yes, 1/2 pound. I'm using position 2 on the Breedt arm, which I believe is 39% reduction/+25mm.
Definitely worth the investment of 1/2 an hour and 20 bucks.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Reactions: GrinderBall41

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just called JBR; Julia usually answers the phone, and she is extremely helpful. Just tell her that you are looking to order the weights only from the ST/RS shifter arm.
As far as drilling and tapping, it's definitely easier with a drill press, but it can certainly be done with a hand-held drill. Buy a combo with the tap and properly sized drill bit; the one I used is by Irwin. And be sure to invest in a proper tap handle while you're at it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I just called JBR; Julia usually answers the phone, and she is extremely helpful. Just tell her that you are looking to order the weights only from the ST/RS shifter arm.
As far as drilling and tapping, it's definitely easier with a drill press, but it can certainly be done with a hand-held drill. Buy a combo with the tap and properly sized drill bit; the one I used is by Irwin. And be sure to invest in a proper tap handle while you're at it.
What if a lazy, tool-deficient unskilled hillbilly wanted to just JB-Weld the weights onto the shift arm?

Asking for a friend.

·
Administrator
11,888 Posts
What if a lazy, tool-deficient unskilled hillbilly wanted to just JB-Weld the weights onto the shift arm?

Asking for a friend.

Lol, I think he should outsource...

·
Registered
395 Posts

Asking for a friend.
If it's stupid, but works, is it stupid?

Reactions: GrinderBall41
1 - 20 of 46 Posts