Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1061 - 1080 of 1099 Posts

·
Administrator
13,012 Posts
dont worry I'm already mentally preparing for that lol.

I'm a lot more relaxed now that I know it isn't a gasket, before I didn't really diagnose the issue, I just tested the gasket three different ways lol.
Lol, your list is pretty good. You should find something, as long as you are properly thorough.

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,062 ·
It says VP but the tanks are filled by a local gas station chain called haffners.

Makes for a fun photo op tho

Better to drive the extra 20 minutes to the sunoco with 100 octane

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
340 Posts
It says VP but the tanks are filled by a local gas station chain called haffners.

Makes for a fun photo op tho

Better to drive the extra 20 minutes to the sunoco with 100 octane
A refinery sell the gas to any brand of gas, when the tanker pick up the gas the additives are added . Every gas brand has its own proprietary additives. The quality of the gas depends on its origin.

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,064 ·
A refinery sell the gas to any brand of gas, when the tanker pick up the gas the additives are added . Every gas brand has its own proprietary additives. The quality of the gas depends on its origin.
interesting! I didn't know that, so until it goes in the tanker all gasoline is the same?

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
340 Posts
interesting! I didn't know that, so until it goes in the tanker all gasoline is the same?
For that particular refinery, it varies from refineries depending the origin of the crude oil. If there is only one refinery in your state, most likely, all the gas brands are getting it from there.

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,068 ·
I found something

All four injectors that I removed look like this. Look between the locator peg and the circular fuel inlet. You can see a clear indentation where the rail crushed the body of the injector a small amount.

Anyone have any old injectors that they pulled out to compare with?

I put the mountune injectors in, at least for starting and idling it’s pretty nice lol, cranks right up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,069 · (Edited)
Couldn’t do the smoke test or the boost leak test so I did the old school method and sprayed the whole intake track with carb cleaner while it was running, no vacuum leaks.

My smoke tester has vanished and the nice boost leak cap I ordered hasn’t arrived yet. I don’t think that’s the issue though

·
Administrator
13,012 Posts
I found something

All four injectors that I removed look like this. Look between the locator peg and the circular fuel inlet. You can see a clear indentation where the rail crushed the body of the injector a small amount.

I put the mountune injectors in, at least for starting and idling it’s pretty nice lol, cranks right up

I just checked 4 of my loose injectors, no such marks at all. Those things were manhandled.

Reactions: junits15

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,071 · (Edited)
I just checked 4 of my loose injectors, no such marks at all. Those things were manhandled.
I knew that had to be wrong, thanks for checking

there is zero chance Ford would design an assembly like that.

Also I’m looking at the pictures closer and all the o rings are damaged as well. These things were put in very aggressively.

I put a drop of clean oil on the o rings as instructed by the chilton manual, they went right into the bores on the fuel rail with minimal resistance. I also tightened each bolt a half turn at a time until all the injectors were fully seated. The standoffs on the rail bottomed out fully against the block. So far it’s better, I’m still testing though.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
340 Posts
The part number doesn’t match any of the ST, N/A or RS.

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,073 ·
The PN is:

Bb5e-9f593-ba

The base number is the same, but idk what the other numbers mean

·
Registered
89 Posts
I found something

Finger Bicycle part Thumb Plumbing Engineering

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,960 Posts
You got me thinking, of all the DI injectors I've installed with fresh seals, they tend to have a fair amount of resistance on install. I would always install them in the rail then gently tap all 4 in simultaneously with a dead blow to seat them before running bolts in (you can easily smash an injector if it binds by drawing it in with the bolts). I wonder if that practice is what caused the deformation in the plastic.

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,077 ·
You got me thinking, of all the DI injectors I've installed with fresh seals, they tend to have a fair amount of resistance on install. I would always install them in the rail then gently tap all 4 in simultaneously with a dead blow to seat them before running bolts in (you can easily smash an injector if it binds by drawing it in with the bolts). I wonder if that practice is what caused the deformation in the plastic.
sounds like this is my root cause. I would bet he just ran the bolts in and paid no mind to how well the injectors were seating in the bores. They probably bound up and got crushed against the rail messing up the cold start performance.

I also ran the bolts in to pull the injectors in, but I guess because I did it slowly and evenly it didnt have enough force to smash the injectors.

Lesson learned, be gentle with DI injectors, and do things yourself

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,960 Posts
While were on the topic, there IS a special tool kit to stretch and then re-shrink the teflon seals on the injector stem. If you ever go to change them upon removal, you will need this tool.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Man! I apologize. I don’t recognize the damage done by the mechanic who did the initial injector install.

Could someone point it out to this oblivious, inexperienced knucklehead?

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,080 ·
Man! I apologize. I don’t recognize the damage done by the mechanic who did the initial injector install.

Could someone point it out to this oblivious, inexperienced knucklehead?
I got you

Compare to the picture posed earlier by kgh

1061 - 1080 of 1099 Posts