Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1021 - 1040 of 1099 Posts

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
340 Posts
Some cars when you change the injectors you have to code them individually so the ECU can make flow adjustments . The Focus doesn't require coding (I think) so the ECU have to monitor the O2 sensor to calibrate them and the TB for smooth operation. It will take some driving time fine tune it.

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,022 ·
Some cars when you change the injectors you have to code them individually so the ECU can make flow adjustments . The Focus doesn't require coding (I think) so the ECU have to monitor the O2 sensor to calibrate them and the TB for smooth operation. It will take some driving time fine tune it.
Interesting, there's nothing in the chilton manual about that but it could be something that normally isn't an issue. Looks like normally injectors that need to be coded have a special code on them that is used by the ECU. Maybe I could look around in forscan and see if there is even an option for that.

I am also wondering if these could be the wrong injectors, my mechanic bought a batch of 6 injectors, what are the chances that they are 2.3L injectors. You would never be able to tell by looking at them, they are not the same part, and they will fit in the same location.

I don't think that's likely, I imagine that 2.3L injectors would simply not run right at all.

·
Registered
2018 ST1 Magnetic Gray
340 Posts
Interesting, there's nothing in the chilton manual about that but it could be something that normally isn't an issue. Looks like normally injectors that need to be coded have a special code on them that is used by the ECU. Maybe I could look around in forscan and see if there is even an option for that.

I am also wondering if these could be the wrong injectors, my mechanic bought a batch of 6 injectors, what are the chances that they are 2.3L injectors. You would never be able to tell by looking at them, they are not the same part, and they will fit in the same location.

I don't think that's likely, I imagine that 2.3L injectors would simply not run right at all.
This are the injectors numbers for different 2018 engines. All looks the same.
2 liter naturally aspirated engine: CP9Z-9F593-B
2 liter ST engine: BB5Z-9F593-B
2.3 liter RS engine: EJ7Z-9F593-A, EJ7Z-9F593-B, EJ7Z-9F593-C

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,024 ·
This are the injectors numbers for different 2018 engines. All looks the same.
2 liter naturally aspirated engine: CP9Z-9F593-B
2 liter ST engine: BB5Z-9F593-B
2.3 liter RS engine: EJ7Z-9F593-A, EJ7Z-9F593-B, EJ7Z-9F593-C
Damn, lol I figured that since the whole number wasn't the same that it wasn't the same part, I see now that it is. The interesting thing is that means there is alot of headroom in those injectors.

The manual does say to replace the fuel hardline any time you disconnect a flare nut, its a $30 part, so I'm going to swap that out. It seems unlikely but if its intended to be thrown out there must be a reason for that. I also had wondered if my coolant temp sensor was reading too low causing a rich startup, but it doesn't appear so, after 8h of sitting it settles to ambient temp or just above. I had through maybe it was damaged when he removed the coolant hose on that distribution block.

There is also a very specific procedure for tightening those flare nuts on the hardline to ensure it seats correctly.

I also performed a crude power balance test using forscan, and all cylinders are contributing perfectly evenly while running. its just startup where the issue exists.

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,025 ·
In general I'm not terribly pleased with the way my mechanic did this install.

Reused the hardline, I dont think he cleaned the injector bores, on the first install he was so rough with the injectors that he nicked an o-ring, he even said it was ok to reuse the teflon seals which we know isn't the case.

Similar to how he told me there was "no way at all that clicking noise was from the axle" when that turned out to be exactly the cause, he's just not too concerned with finding the root cause of failures. He just wants to build fast cars.

·
Administrator
13,012 Posts
In general I'm not terribly pleased with the way my mechanic did this install.

Reused the hardline, I dont think he cleaned the injector bores, on the first install he was so rough with the injectors that he nicked an o-ring, he even said it was ok to reuse the teflon seals which we know isn't the case.

Similar to how he told me there was "no way at all that clicking noise was from the axle" when that turned out to be exactly the cause, he's just not too concerned with finding the root cause of failures. He just wants to build fast cars.
Ewwww

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
That's bad news, but at the same time good to hear for the rest of us. I was thinking about taking the long drive to have him walnut blast my valves at some point, but definitely reconsidering it now.

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,029 ·
That's bad news, but at the same time good to hear for the rest of us. I was thinking about taking the long drive to have him walnut blast my valves at some point, but definitely reconsidering it now.
He's done a lot of work for me and this is the first time I've had an issue. I definitely would still go back to him. He did my transmission, the turbo install, a walnut blast and the injectors. The only issue has been with the injectors, and honestly it may not even be his fault.

I even offered to pay for all the extra work he did for me and he refused, he's a stand up guy, he's just not seen everything yet. If the car wasn't running or was running bad all the time he wouldn't have left me high and dry. He put three sets of injectors in at no extra cost, I can't get too mad at him.

I just think this injector install was a tad sloppy.

Besides, he's opening his own shop so he doesn't have to rent time from Kinetic any more, gonna be called RST Speed Haus. He's limited by working at Kinetic right now, owner doesn't let him leave customer cars overnight, and his availability is entirely dependent on how busy Kinetic is. Once he has his own place, he will be able to hold onto cars and work on them more normally.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Good to know. He's always seemed pretty highly-regarded on FB, so your issues concerned me a bit. I did see that he was working on getting his own shop set-up.

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,031 · (Edited)
Good to know. He's always seemed pretty highly-regarded on FB, so your issues concerned me a bit. I did see that he was working on getting his own shop set-up.
Yeah he’s still very good in my book, he said he hasn’t given up on my car it’s just that since it isn’t a driveability or safety issue he’s got it on the back burner.

I wouldn’t hesitate to go to him for a walnut blast, he’s done many many successful valve jobs, my car included.

I was actually the first set of cleaned injectors he did lol, maybe I should have let him work out the kinks on other peoples cars lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,032 · (Edited)
I'm over here wondering why my compression was low on all cylinders, which has me wondering if this could be a timing issue... Improper cam timing can cause low compression.

I had issues with a VCT solenoid before, its easy enough to check the resistance of a coil, its possible that one has always been weak.

·
Administrator
13,012 Posts
I'm over here wondering why my compression was low on all cylinders, which has me wondering if this could be a timing issue... Improper cam timing can cause low compression.

I had issues with a VCT solenoid before, its easy enough to check the resistance of a coil, its possible that one has always been weak.

Just Full send till she pops, you are driving yourself insane, instead of driving your car.

Reactions: ST3ROID

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,034 ·
Just Full send till she pops, you are driving yourself insane, instead of driving your car.
i genuinely do not think i possess the ability to do that, like the issue just drives me insane by existing.

its so close, something stupid is causing the startup issue, if it were something that made sense it would have exploded by now

·
Administrator
13,012 Posts
i genuinely do not think i possess the ability to do that, like the issue just drives me insane by existing.

its so close, something stupid is causing the startup issue, if it were something that made sense it would have exploded by now
Lmao, you are the reason they call it an "Anxiety Port" , rofl!

My ST would have forced you into an institution.

·
Premium Member
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,036 ·
Lmao, you are the reason they call it an "Anxiety Port" , rofl!

My ST would have forced you into an institution.
yes lol

you know i had to stop monitoring ignition correction, usually out of sight out of mind works for me, but I can't do that when the thing starts worse than a lawnmower every time I try to drive :rolleyes:

its something dumb I can feel it

·
Administrator
13,012 Posts
yes lol

you know i had to stop monitoring ignition correction, usually out of sight out of mind works for me, but I can't do that when the thing starts worse than a lawnmower every time I try to drive :rolleyes:

its something dumb I can feel it
If you were closer, I'd have pushed you out the way and given it "Ye Olde Dueceover" and sorted that ****er, but nooooooooooooo, you like lobsters and snow for some reason.

Reactions: junits15

·
Administrator
13,012 Posts
Humor aside.

I'd go traditional troubleshooting. Like always. Assume nothing, check everything. Start with the basics and work your way through.

Spark plugs, boost leak test, verify map sensors, ign corrections, exhaust leaks, check O2's, check grounds, false knock? , etc

PCV system, intake leaks, is your catch can open!!! the basics.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

Ah, the life of an engineer... Always looking for logic in an erratic or unusual situation, haha. I know the feeling, but I also have a Wife. Logic doesn't work well with women, so I guess that's where I find balance in life. "Where is the thing I put exactly right there 32 minutes ago??", "Oh, I put it away... somewhere (sweeping and circling arm motion) over there." Faaaa-Q! haha.

Anyways, have you done a leak down test? I know you already ran the compression test.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,960 Posts
You're the 3rd or 4th person that's had low numbers with the harbor freight tool.

When you're cranking the engine. The cam phasers are parked with a lock pin. Timing changes arent possible until oil pressure is built.

• Wow
Reactions: junits15
1021 - 1040 of 1099 Posts