Ford Focus ST Forum banner
861 - 880 of 898 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #861 ·
YES YES YES. Im so happy the elbow worked well.

Can't wait to see results. Maybe make a video showcasing spool time?
Absolutely! I’ll be using a datalog as my primary method of comparison, should be interesting because we can have a stock turbo log, your powermax, my GTX and a regular GTX kit all on one graph, it should show the whole story

Once it’s tuned I’ll get a video for you all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,527 Posts
Well, i start my logs late. Maybe ill have to see what your final logs look like then take a new one so its more accurate. Keep me posted

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #863 ·
Well, i start my logs late. Maybe ill have to see what your final logs look like then take a new one so its more accurate. Keep me posted
Yeah I will be updating this thread as soon as I have final results!

I’m really happy the elbow fit, he said it wasn’t too far off at all, barely any difference. He had to adjust it a little but the DP placement was spot on. Couldn’t have gone any better.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #864 ·
First pull done, it feels good, I still don’t know how the spool time is, because until the boost is fully dialed in I won’t really know

Right now we’re holding 16 pounds to redline so it should be making more power than before already, it definitely feels like it lol

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
4,527 Posts
First pull done, it feels good, I still don’t know how the spool time is, because until the boost is fully dialed in I won’t really know

Right now we’re holding 16 pounds to redline so it should be making more power than before already, it definitely feels like it lol
Should be super lazy, working off gate pressure alone and probably has base cam timing values. Dont worry about spool until the final revision.

Reactions: junits15

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #866 ·
Tim has some of the best turnaround time I've ever seen, three logs completed in one day, and he was ready to do a 4th, but its late and I'm tired.

Currently at 22PSI, and its definitely getting a little spicy. I had built a habit of matting it in 2nd gear, and i did that at about 4k rpm on an on ramp and was caught off guard lol. 4th is already a whole different animal, i can tell that once its fully dialed in this is gonna be a 4th gear monster.

·
Registered
938 Posts
That boost curve looks delicious! haha. Need Moooaarr!

Looking forward to the full release of what you've got now hoss. That's some pretty streamlined powaaa =D

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #869 · (Edited)
That boost curve looks delicious! haha. Need Moooaarr!

Looking forward to the full release of what you've got now hoss. That's some pretty streamlined powaaa =D
Just did the 4th log, its getting really good really fast, and it feels absolutely amazing, its definitely much happier up top than it used to be. Also my charge air temp rise is down from 10 degrees over a pull to 4 degrees, amazing what happens when you are working in the efficient range of the turbo lol.

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, long block
799 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #872 ·
It is time

It took 5 months from when I bought the turbo to when it was installed, not terrible because that also included the time to develop the custom elbow.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #873 ·
Log 1 (Basemap)

Log2

Log 3

Log 4

Log 5

Log 6

Log 7 (final)

The tune is completed, and it feels amazing, the car is totally transformed, looks like we hit 20 PSI by around 3500RPM, which isn't too bad, i was hoping to see a little more of a difference with the special elbow, but it spools fast especially when putting the throttle down hard in the power band. Its also good to know that its protecting my headifold outlet better than the ATP one. I sleep better knowing that the poorly designed ATP elbow isn't in my car.

My mechanic loved the design, he said it could use some tweaks for better fitment, but its fine for now. I gave him the contact info for the guy who made the elbow (GP Headers) he seemed interested in contacting him and having more copies made.

I need to re-adjust the downpipe its hitting the cross member, but thats a small detail really. I'm going to drive the car a little while to really get a feel for how the tune behaves, and what its like to drive this car. Right now the differences that I notice are that you need to shift later, 6k seems to be a good point in order to maintain power when going into the next gear, and that it just keeps pulling really hard all the way to redline. Tim really did a great job with this tune, very very smooth, almost smoother than adaptx, and driving around at low speeds is no sweat. Though I think thats just because this turbo wont spool at all below 3k rpm lol.

I'll have a detailed review in a little while, but for now I'm loving the upgrade, I should have done this two years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #874 · (Edited)
Some other things:

• The sounds this turbo makes are awesome haha, I love that you can so clearly hear it make a high pitched spooling up noise when you get on the throttle. Feels very "racecar"
  • Bov sound changed a little bit which surprised me.
  • Exhaust tone changed dramatically for the better, I didn't expect this but looking back I should have. Its much deeper and makes some nice natural gurgles and cracks. Its so much fun to hear it gurgling away when you decelerate. Not obnoxious at all like a poops and spackle tune lol. With a catless DP it would probably be insane.
  • Elbow was slightly off which resulted in a slight shift in the whole exhaust, nothing major, but its there, since its a custom welded exhaust I can't adjust it. Not a huge deal.
  • Still waiting for refurbished injectors, I'm not gonna be too-too aggressive on the car until those are in, with the fuel system at its limit I want to have a cleaned set of injectors in as a safeguard and for peace of mind.
  • The decision I made a year and a half ago to do an LSD before a big turbo was the right move, I have great traction, especially with this Michelin PS4S's. The only gears I can spin are 1st and 2nd, and even 2nd will hook on a really hot dry day.
  • Tim gave me a 20 PSI map slot which I will use on winter tires.

Next moves:
  • Fuel system upgrade, which will be Mountune injectors and an XDI fuel pump.
    • To run ethanol blends
  • WMI
    • This is a maybe, I want it for cooling and cleaning, I need to find a better way of installing it than what I had before, I'd like to use that ProMeth multiport injection kit, and combine it with the aluminum Mountune manifold.
  • Appearance mods
    • I always believe that performance should come before appearance, now I have performance so its time for appearance lol.
    • Nothing too insane gonna have to think about how I want it to look.

·
Super Moderator
4,527 Posts
So you mention no boost below 3k rpm. That has to be a dramatic change in the overall day-to-day manners of the car. Not many people talk about this other than @SIstomper. He mentioned back in the day when he installed a disco potato, that there was a negative night and day difference in the car, and i presume this is why. Stock and hybrid chargers obviously make a couple psi boost when normally accelerating light throttle, so im sure there is a fair reduction of power when taking off normally, no?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm glad that you are enjoying it! I remember reading 35 pages of this thread in one sitting at work.. Any other plans for the ST in the future?

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #877 ·
So you mention no boost below 3k rpm. That has to be a dramatic change in the overall day-to-day manners of the car. Not many people talk about this other than @SIstomper. He mentioned back in the day when he installed a disco potato, that there was a negative night and day difference in the car, and i presume this is why. Stock and hybrid chargers obviously make a couple psi boost when normally accelerating light throttle, so im sure there is a fair reduction of power when taking off normally, no?
So this is something I want to wait to talk about fully, right now the difference is not as bad as what I had thought, but I wanna spend time with the car to really get a feel for the differences.

The short version is that yes the spool is later, but the car is not at all anemic below 3k, its not at full power like the stock turbo but its not a problem at all. I feel like I have plenty of power when taking of from a dead stop. For a drag race it would be an issue, but I don't drag race. Driving around and accelerating hard off a light, I don't feel I have lost anything.

Short shifting becomes more of a consideration, if you short shift it you will land right in the circled area and not have power, if you don't you'll land in the power band and be good. If you do land in the power band there is a very slight delay before the boost comes in but its brief, maybe like half a second, and I think that is all thanks to the elbow. Like @Habriant40 said, the transient response of the elbow is where it will shine, and it definitely does.

Rectangle Slope Picture frame Triangle Darkness

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #878 ·
Again I really need to spend time with the setup to get a feel for it.

·
Administrator
12,618 Posts
3k for 20 is not bad at all.

I didnt get that until 4k on the 3076 iirc.

·
Premium Member
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #880 ·
3k for 20 is not bad at all.

I didnt get that until 4k on the 3076 iirc.
Honestly its actually pretty damn good, here's the stock turbo:
20PSI at 3.2k vs 20PSI at 3.5k for big turbo? That's hardly something for me to complain about lol, you can feel it but its not bad at all.

Slope Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

861 - 880 of 898 Posts