Ford Focus ST Forum banner

481 - 500 of 514 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,547 Posts
I hope the turbo install goes better! Winter gas caused -2 to -3 corrections and 2 gallons of E85 really didn’t help me either. That is how bad it can be and winter E85 in NC is E70. I tune 93 in winter but don’t drive the car much and if I have issues I run the stock tune. Then back to E30 in the spring.
If your local fuel is that bad, you could run a 91 octane tune using 93 octane fuel.

Reactions: junits15

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #482
Holy **** guys the issue was the intake all along.

I put the mountune unit back and went for a drive and like clockwork my heavy negative corrections returned! Same scenario too!

If I give it heavy throttle in 3rd around 3k I can make it “knock” every time. Always something around -2 right at the same instant as I floor the throttle.

I think there is some increased knock from the winter fuel which made debugging more complicated then it had to be. But I’m really sure that it’s the intake.

I emailed mountune CS, this wasn’t a cheap part so I want some kind of answer for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #483
It’s not hitting anything that I can see, but it could be making contact on the back of the block.

I shook the hell out of the thing and it doesn’t appear to move much at all, but I guess that’s nothing compared to the force that the engine makes.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #484
I hope the turbo install goes better! Winter gas caused -2 to -3 corrections and 2 gallons of E85 really didn’t help me either. That is how bad it can be and winter E85 in NC is E70. I tune 93 in winter but don’t drive the car much and if I have issues I run the stock tune. Then back to E30 in the spring.
I second ddfreds idea, just running a 91 tune in the winter may be your answer, or maybe just paying for a revision that you do on winter gas and only use in the winter.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I second ddfreds idea, just running a 91 tune in the winter may be your answer, or maybe just paying for a revision that you do on winter gas and only use in the winter.

Just sharing a winter gas issues, as it seems you experienced the same thing. I’m going Monster tuned in the spring, so this should fix that issue. Only 91 tune I have is Cobb and stock is safer. lol

I run the Mountune IC and got it adjusted in the middle and has been good so far, I also run the Mountune intake but I don’t have the “RS” metal pipe to turbo. If you find the spot it could hit, you could use weather stripping/foam tape on the pipe.

Reactions: junits15

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #487
Didn’t want to chance it with JBR, after the experience I had with the intake and the TB spacer from jbr im playing it safe.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #488
Opted for the Tial over HKS for rebuildability only. From what I heard online I preferred the sound of the HKS but they salt like hell around me, so I need to be able to easily rebuild the thing without having to buy a new valve.

I’m also thinking about eventually buying a QR base for it and plumbing the blow off air back into the intake for added stealth.

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
389 Posts
That's gonna be a baller color combo! Exhale kit is great!

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
That's gonna be a baller color combo! Exhale kit is great!
Yeah that’s what I was thinking! I like flashy colors under the hood lol not so much on the exterior.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #491
I should probably follow up on the knock issue

I’m now of the opinion that I never had false knock and it was all winter gas. A few days ago it was cold in the morning (20-30f) and then 60f in the afternoon.

The morning was fine and the afternoon was knock city. Obviously nothing mechanically changed in that time but it made me realize that all the times I had been seeing really bad knock were warm days.

It didn’t used to be this bad near me, last year the winter blend wasn’t that different than the summer blend. This year seems to be significantly worse.

So that means I’m gonna move on with my life, I’m gonna leave the stock DP until the turbo gets swapped, no real huge advantage on the stock turbo anyway.

I just took a new job and got a nice sign on bonus, so once that comes in the turbo will be ordered not too far behind.

The good that came out of this was that it finally prompted me to get another IC in there. I never really liked how the mountune unit looked or was made. It also prompted me to double triple check every single thing I’ve done to this vehicle so now I have very high confidence in every part that’s installed lol.

·
Administrator
10,660 Posts
Thank you! It’s a definite upgrade from my previous role.

Lol, i did a similar chase in the past. It was Shell 93 though, not even winter blend.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Does the Monster tune not really learn then?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Thank you! It’s a definite upgrade from my previous role.

Is it enough to get a GT500!!!

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #499 (Edited)
Does the Monster tune not really learn then?
Long answer:
I don’t know, I know it can learn low octane fuel, I’ve seen it firsthand. This past summer I did a 91 octane fuel test on it, did a kam reset and was able to witness personally that the OAR doesn’t learn as negative when you have poor quality fuel.

The thing I still haven’t seen is it being at a high octane and then adjusting the OAR to a more positive value upon the addition of low octane fuel. I’ve never ready tried it, I’ve been too afraid to be the test dummy for that.

Tim assures me that that functionality is 100% stock so there’s no reason why it shouldn’t learn, from high to low octane, I’ve just never really felt comfortable enough to drive the car hard when I knew I had low octane fuel in it. It goes against everything I know lol.

The other thing is that the knocks I was getting were never all that bad, I think the worst I ever saw was a -4, when you remember that that’s across all cylinders you realize that it isn’t really a super heavy knock. That could easily be a -1 on all 4 cylinders. Something we would readily ignore on another tune. Tim said that in order for OAR to go more positive that you need sustained corrections of -3.5 or worse (sum total of all cylinders) to move the OAR positive. And that’s a Ford factory parameter. I never really saw it get that bad to the point where I sustained worse than a -3.5 during the entire pull. I would have radom spikes down to that level, but the majority of the corrections I saw were -2 to -3

Short answer: I don’t know, I’ve only seen half of what it claims it can do.

481 - 500 of 514 Posts