Ford Focus ST Forum banner

441 - 460 of 514 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
I’d check your trans for loose bolts and really listen to it to make sure there’s nothing loose in there. Check the solid shifter bushings as well. I’m betting it’s something with the trans like a loose bolt now that I looked at your mod list. Check all the bolts on the bell housing. Check the shift selector too for anything loose.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #442
do you have a symposer delete? Did you zip tie the connector wire up tight? That could be rattling around. Check and make sure nothing is between the manifold and the block that’s shaking or loose.
Stiffer suspension “could” do it by transmitting certain sounds threw the frame more than the oem but I’ve never had that issue and I had stiff suspension.

Check your upper motor mounts to make sure they are tight and check the battery tie down to make sure it’s not rattling around. Let me check your mod list and see if I can think of anything else.
I’d check your trans for loose bolts and really listen to it to make sure there’s nothing loose in there. Check the solid shifter bushings as well. I’m betting it’s something with the trans like a loose bolt now that I looked at your mod list. Check all the bolts on the bell housing. Check the shift selector too for anything loose.
I visually inspected all the bell housing bolts and they were all sitting flush. I ran out of time to check them with a wrench. The roads were getting icy and I had to head out before it got bad.

So I’m basically ruled out everything touching the motor. Which leaves only two options:

It’s something else

Or

It’s real knock, which I find hard to believe because the behavior was the same with torco and separately, ethanol in the tank.

Here’s a vid of me swinging the engine back and forth with the rear mount removed.

You can hear the lsd in the trans clacking, and the flex pipe on the DP moving as well. (That’s the “sss sss” sound. The lsd has always been noisy. I hope that’s not the cause because there’s no real fix for that. (Maybe a different fluid...?)Again that’s not high on my list of suspicions because when the lsd is loaded up that clacking shouldn’t be happening. The slop should be taken up in the gears inside it.

My next move is to re-check the clamps on the IC and double check my suspension install at all four corners.

Somethings weird about this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
Also I put in a new vband gasket just in case the old one was too worn to work right and was causing issues. I very carefully re-set the entire Brillo pad mount as well. Making sure to adjust that while the DP was loose. That mount is as perfect as can be now.

That vband clamp is now my least favorite part of this car. I’m incredibly jealous of RS guys with two bolts for their DP. This vband is so ****ing annoying I dropped the gasket like 10 times before I got it seated right

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,070 Posts
Do you have factory or aftermarket motor mounts?

·
2017 Kona Blue ST1
2,070 Posts
That's a hell of alot of movement!

Reactions: junits15

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #446
That's a hell of alot of movement!
That’s with the RMM removed haha, I have all factory except the RMM.

I was trying to see if I could induce the issue like that. No dice

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Did jacks install your LSD or did you?

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #449
Another thought I had was that I’m on winter tires right now. Poor traction will make the LSD work hard.

I wonder if the mechanical action of the LSD in a low traction situation could cause this issue.

·
Administrator
10,660 Posts
Another thought I had was that I’m on winter tires right now. Poor traction will make the LSD work hard.

I wonder if the mechanical action of the LSD in a low traction situation could cause this issue.

I've never had false knock from the LSD. I also have a much more aggressive setup.

I think i figured it out.

Problem: Car is cursed
Solution: Burn that ************ to the ground.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #451 (Edited)
I've never had false knock from the LSD. I also have a much more aggressive setup.

I think i figured it out.

Problem: Car is cursed
Solution: Burn that **** to the ground.
I have had the absolute worst luck with this thing lmao. It was running so nice last summer too! Pull after pull just smooth as butter every time.

Got me thinking about just getting a 90s bimmer to turbo.

Or maybe an a3

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #452
I’ve ruled out everything but the suspension. Time to look there, maybe I ****ed that up somehow lol

·
Administrator
10,660 Posts
I’ve ruled out everything but the suspension. Time to look there, maybe I ****ed that up somehow lol

Hmm, well false knock is usually something connected to the motor.

You had the trans out and in. Check tightness on all the DSMM bolts?

PSMM bolts too.

How did the super aggressive exhaust shakedown go?

How about your charge pipes? Coldside likes to hit the AC compressor, hotside either hits traction bars or rattles in the oil pan area.

Reactions: Caleb ST1

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #454 (Edited)
Hmm, well false knock is usually something connected to the motor.

You had the trans out and in. Check tightness on all the DSMM bolts?

PSMM bolts too.

How did the super aggressive exhaust shakedown go?

How about your charge pipes? Coldside likes to hit the AC compressor, hotside either hits traction bars or rattles in the oil pan area.
The passenger side mount has never been out so that’s eliminated.

Drivers side mount is a good point to look at

Exhaust shakedown yielded nothing, this is a custom made exhaust so I’m unsurprised.

Charge pipes are all stock, and hot side pipe is bolted correctly under the oil pan.

Transmission is a good point in general, you and Caleb have both brought it up, and it’s reasonable to think it could be something there. I recall there was some procedure to setting the location of the trans mount that I loosely followed. Maybe I did it wrong? Maybe it got loose?

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
I’d still also inspect the passenger side mount. Ive seen oem one “break” and need replaced. I’d check it out to make sure it’s not broken. Really look at it to make sure.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #456
I’d still also inspect the passenger side mount. Ive seen oem one “break” and need replaced. I’d check it out to make sure it’s not broken. Really look at it to make sure.
Can you define “break”? Mine has a weird bulge in the top, but it’s not leaking fluid. And feels soft in general

·
Super Moderator
8,547 Posts
Can you define “break”? Mine has a weird bulge in the top, but it’s not leaking fluid. And feels soft in general

When they "break" it is usually the oil filled bushing that gives out and leaks. But, a "weird bulge" may allow for undesired movement.

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
389 Posts
I have dsmm and psmm with like 17k southern miles on them.. :D

·
2,378 Posts
You bring up a really good point about the snow/salt and snow tires creating traction issues.... think about the internal transmission gears loading and unloading, that has to create some pretty violent knocks as the tires are gaining/loosing traction.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Can you send a picture of the passenger side mount? I’ve also seen them break at the mounting holes that connect it to the block.

441 - 460 of 514 Posts