Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, after numerous discussions it seems that everyone has a major misconception of the differences between a drum type dyno and a hub type. To start off here is a video explaining it.

This is my own vendor area to discuss this subject: I only want experienced tuners that have tuned on the Dynapack to exchange information in regards to their experience. I don't want a run off by others that have had no experience just here say to post. Your post will be deleted. If you have a positive contribution and the information is correct it will be kept intact. Even if the information is not positive but accurate it will be intact. If you own a shop or a race team we would like to hear your feedback on the subject only factual information will be kept.

Below is a compilation of tuners and other shops:

The dynapack at church automotive is very consistent though. 6mt 350z's are repeated getting 255 HP. 2005 G35 6MTs with 298 HP are getting 267-268, and you can take the graph of one car and almost have a perfect overlay on top of another car with the same configuration.

From what I understand dynapack is more repeatable accuracy wise than dynojet but it is going to give you higher numbers since it is done with the wheels off.

it is true that different types of dyno's will show different HP/TQ numbers on the same car. Like was mentioned, it is hard to compare one to another without having many baselines to go off of. By now though, you should be able to look up what is "normal" on a DynoJet, a Dyno Dynamics, DynaPack, Mustang, etc.....

BUt, if you are talking about tuning a car on different types of dynos, ... that makes a BIG difference, ... as all dynos can not give you all the 'tools' necessary to tune properly.

DynaPack dynos connect straight to the hub with the wheels off, DynoJets are inertia type roller dynos.

So here is some of my comparisons: Stage 3 2013 Ford Focus ST dynoed at 262 WHP So how many of you made that ? on pump gas

On back to back dyno's for tuning and output the dynapack is much more consistent and accurate then the roller type. This has been proven time and time over.

For tuning and R&D the dynapack has more loading options for precise tuning built in.

If you have not operated a dynapack, or are not a tuner, I don't want to hear from you. If you have been a tuner and ran a dynapack dyno Let's hear what you have to say in relation to it and your experience.

I plan on getting input form other tuners and shops to post on this site to verify the accuracy.

Thanks for stopping by.

And here is the response from Shawn @ Church, regarding all the misinformation that had populated on the internet by a competitor!
Hey all, its been years since I posted, but this thread was recently brought to my attention. Just a couple of comments. First of all, a Dynapack should read higher than a Dynojet - always. Simply removing the wheels and tires frees up a lot of additional power that is now used to motivate the dyno. You are eliminating rotating mass as well as the rather parasitic tire to road interface which sucks up a significant amount of power.

If you'd like to read more about how dynos measure, I would suggest visiting our website to better understand the effects of moment of inertia and then visiting the SAE website and downloading an article by the Southwest Research Institute on Chassis Dynos (just search the library for those terms). http://home.earthlink.net/~spchurch/...ting/id12.html

Finally, I find it offensive that anyone would imply that we inflate our numbers. That's a specious rumor spread by a jealous competitor (we tune 1500 cars/year - some people wish they could) and I make it a point to quash it whenever it pops yet. We've had our Dynapack 2000 for nearly 7 years now and it still reads within spec. Any time it has had maintenance, etc. it has been calibrated exactly the same by Dynapack - calibration on Dynapacks can only be done by factory authorized techs. Dynapacks do vary in their calibrations (later model units read very close to dynojets), but all the physics say a Dynapack should read higher than a roller dyno.

Regardless, our results speak for themselves. In 2008 alone our customers set 5 Bonneville land speed records in 3 different cars, won dozens and dozens of local and regional road races, drag races and time attacks sanctioned by various organizations, won 3 national solo/solo2 championships and 2 national SCCA road racing championships (including the first national road racing championship by a Scion - ever). And 2008 was a typical year for our customers, which means that stuff happens every year. So, whatever the power numbers read, clearly something is working properly

Cheers and best of luck to all you
Shawn Church

Reactions: Go Kart

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dynapacks are great chassis dynos. My only complaint ... it hard to run high vacuum cells at 3000+ rpm.

"So here is some of my comparisons: Stage 3 2013 Ford Focus ST dynoed at 262 WHP So how many of you made that ? on pump gas"

If that number is base on Church's Dynapack ... remove 15%-20%! Those dynapack reads so high, it gives out more like engine dyno #.

P.S. If you want to buy your own, check ebay. I have a set listed for sell.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
I'm a long time customer of Shawn he has tuned 2 cars numerous times for me. He's a great tuner. I also use Eriks Racing Engines in Baldwin Park. Erik also has a Dynapack. After tuning at either shop I always take my car to Specialty Z's Dynojet to compare gain #'s. Their Dynojet is my standard so to say. Take this how you will but Churches dyno is always 12-15% high. Eriks dynapack is always within 5-8 hp of Specialty Z's dynojet. My 9th gen Honda made 267 on Churches dynopack 236 on eriks dynopack and 233 on Specialty Z's dynojet. Shawn was the first to tune my 9th gen in the beginning and it made 218 and on the dynojet it made 194. Dyno #'s are all over the place. Your gain #'s are all that matter.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dynapacks are great chassis dynos. My only complaint ... it hard to run high vacuum cells at 3000+ rpm.

"So here is some of my comparisons: Stage 3 2013 Ford Focus ST dynoed at 262 WHP So how many of you made that ? on pump gas"

If that number is base on Church's Dynapack ... remove 15%-20%! Those dynapack reads so high, it gives out more like engine dyno #.

P.S. If you want to buy your own, check ebay. I have a set listed for sell.
So you are saying that my 262 is way off and I should drop it to 15% to 20%? Compared to others on stage 3 mine is the lowest?

Here is a complied list of others on other dyno's stage 3
Stock Turbo (Pump Gas)

1. Prostreetcav 283.7/360
2. [email protected] 279.53/357.66
3. OseaD 275/360
4. TheBeard 272.85/357.60
5. Billyties42 271.44/356.30
6. MyFocusST 271/351
7. Cysco00 270/391
8. Rainier446 269.7/348.7
9. Whiteblurvvt 269/315
10. RobDOGG51 267.8/314.2

And you still think my numbers are over inflated??

·
Registered
3 Posts
And you still think my numbers are over inflated??
If it's on Church's Dynapack .... BIG .... YES! It's a fact that Church's Dynapack reads high.

Also, when comparing HP #s, you will also need to realized fuel type makes a big difference. California 91 is really only ~ 96% fuel compared to non-ethanol 91. And some states still have 93 octane!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's on Church's Dynapack .... BIG .... YES! It's a fact that Church's Dynapack reads high.

Also, when comparing HP #s, you will also need to realized fuel type makes a big difference. California 91 is really only ~ 96% fuel compared to non-ethanol 91. And some states still have 93 octane!
I hate to call BS but I am calling it! I have done back to back dyno's on a race car we were tuning on E85 it was 7 hp between the dynapack and the roller dyno, also on the 262 WHP, I am guessing that our tunes are so bad then, according to you guys, that on a stage 3 full bolt on system, we only made 210WHP because we used Churches dyno? This is how all the wrong information gets circulated

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Now that you have posted in my vendor area, what is your backing of the statements you have said in regards to incorrect numbers? are you a tuner? on a race team? what is your background to come on my vendor area and quote false statements?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hate to call BS but I am calling it! I have done back to back dyno's on a race car we were tuning on E85 it was 7 hp between the dynapack and the roller dyno, also on the 262 WHP, I am guessing that our tunes are so bad then, according to you guys, that on a stage 3 full bolt on system, we only made 210WHP because we used Churches dyno? This is how all the wrong information gets circulated
I will quote your first post!

Finally, I find it offensive that anyone would imply that we inflate our numbers. That's a specious rumor spread by a jealous competitor (we tune 1500 cars/year - some people wish they could) and I make it a point to quash it whenever it pops yet. We've had our Dynapack 2000 for nearly 7 years now and it still reads within spec. Any time it has had maintenance, etc. it has been calibrated exactly the same by Dynapack - calibration on Dynapacks can only be done by factory authorized techs. Dynapacks do vary in their calibrations (later model units read very close to dynojets), but all the physics say a Dynapack should read higher than a roller dyno.
So he's offended when people implied he inflated his number (it reads high?) and he acknowledge later models reads close to a dynojet. (so other dynapack reads lower?)

And did you read Slstomper's post?

You should do a quick google of "Church's Dynapack Reads High".

Now that you have posted in my vendor area, what is your backing of the statements you have said in regards to incorrect numbers? are you a tuner? on a race team? what is your background to come on my vendor area and quote false statements?
Yes, I'm a tuner and I own one of those lower reading dynapacks. I came on your thread to correct your false dyno horsepower! Since Church's is in California, uses 91 "Cali" octane, and is a Dynapack ... I get the usual, there is a car tuned in LA at Church's and it's making XXX whp, why is yours showing xxx lower whp? So I had to get the facts, called the Dynapack rep and he confirmed it reads higher due to algorithm error. The pods are calibrated right but the software has an error which he doesn't want to have it corrected because it will change all previous customer's dyno results.

So it's a FACT Church's Dynapack reads high!

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Ricochet the car in this video is my buddy John's car. It was the CT R&D car for the 9th gen supercharger system. Doug from Hondata tuned it at Churches. The car made 273/230. That same day the car was taken to Eriks for a retune. Doug's tune was the OTS tune for the CT kits. The car made 235/200. We informed CT and Hondata and they told us to F off. Their comment was #'s sell. I'm sorry but it's a know fact that the Dynapack at Churches pretty much reads close to crank HP #'s. BTW when we were at Eriks we had him change the TCF on the Dynapack to 1.15 and the #'s pretty much matched Churches.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am totally sick of this crap! you say Shawn is a great tuner, but we can't make the same numbers that every other dyno is making? WTF? I am closing my status of a vendor on this site and moving on.

Have a nice day.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Dude, Shawn is a great tuner I'm not disputing that. I just want you to know the dyno there is off. I was upset also when I found out my cars HP was not what I thought. Don't do anything rash your contributions to the community are appreciated. I've been following your builds. I've also tuned at Churches,race at Irwindale/Fontucky and it's good to see a local guy going the extra mile and trying new things.

·
Registered
385 Posts
i am totally sick of this crap! You say shawn is a great tuner, but we can't make the same numbers that every other dyno is making? Wtf? I am closing my status of a vendor on this site and moving on.

Have a nice day.
lol

Reactions: Zach99
1 - 12 of 12 Posts