Have a turbo in mind?

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
789 Posts
due to the larger 4" inlet on the compressor housing.

Holy sH***

Reactions: junits15

·
Administrator
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,866 ·
Have a turbo in mind?
I already have a GTX3076R gen 2, which is a 750hp turbo. Just back pressure with the ATP kit is the concern. So either I roll the dice on the Junits special elbow, or fork out the cash for the Atmosphere kit and slap my turbo in the kit.

My ducks are all in a row, just a few small details.

If the block needs a bore, then I'll sell my pistons and get overbore, go from a 2.3 to 2.4 build.

I have a keyed 2.3 crank, keyed main pulley, stage 3 cams, dual valve springs, boomba aluminum accessory pullies, Mountune BSD and baffle, Radium PCV plate, Dual Damond OCC, manley h beam, their badass pistons, king bearings, beefy head studs, full OEM gaskets, all timing chain stuff, timing tools, CPS tool, new water pump, low temp thermostat, mountune injectors, and more stuff im forgetting.

Its all pretty sorted. Just a few odds and ends, and figuring out how to relieve backpressure to get where I want to be.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
I already have a GTX3076R gen 2, which is a 750hp turbo. Just back pressure with the ATP kit is the concern. So either I roll the dice on the Junits special elbow, or fork out the cash for the Atmosphere kit and slap my turbo in the kit.

My ducks are all in a row, just a few small details.

If the block needs a bore, then I'll sell my pistons and get overbore, go from a 2.3 to 2.4 build.

I have a keyed 2.3 crank, keyed main pulley, stage 3 cams, dual valve springs, boomba aluminum accessory pullies, Mountune BSD and baffle, Radium PCV plate, Dual Damond OCC, manley h beam, their badass pistons, king bearings, beefy head studs, full OEM gaskets, all timing chain stuff, timing tools, CPS tool, new water pump, low temp thermostat, mountune injectors, and more stuff im forgetting.

Its all pretty sorted. Just a few odds and ends, and figuring out how to relieve backpressure to get where I want to be.
it was $50 for the vband flange, $60 for the manifold flange and then $115 for the other parts and labor, total cost was $225.

I dont know about 600hp thats a lot, but when compared to the $2.4k for the atmosphere kit my (biased) opinion would be its worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
I also wonder if actually using the EWG on the ATP elbow would improve flow, as that port becomes an open path and not just a closed off stub.

Thats really a @Habriant40 type of question though

·
Premium Member
2013 ST2, AGP BWS turbo, long block
665 Posts
I also wonder if actually using the EWG on the ATP elbow would improve flow, as that port becomes an open path and not just a closed off stub.

Thats really a @Habriant40 type of question though
whats the Junits special elbow?

I'm not crazy about ATP's elbow for the negligence in the port shape that mates to the headifold. The oversized circle fitting over a rectangle creates a reversing flow over the headfold's outlet edges which is not good on the fluid side of things. It has an adverse effect on the heat flux in those corners - makes it non uniform. On the solids side of things it creates stress risers at the corners which is compounded by the non uniform heat flux coming into the area.. There have been headfolds cracks directly traceable to that style elbow.

Additionally, If you did try to use ATP's EWG. It would create an Impingent flow (a portion of flow would head down to turbo, while the other ripped away and turned up to EWG). again, not an ideal design for flow. This would create a lot of shear in the flow and could contribute to backpressure.

CPE's atmosphere elbow addresses all of these problems. EWG turns sideways with the flow instead of up and backwards.
And the port matches the Stock shape much better. definitely gets my vote.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts

I'm not crazy about ATP's elbow for the negligence in the port shape that mates to the headifold. The oversized circle fitting over a rectangle creates a reversing flow over the headfold's outlet edges which is not good on the fluid side of things. It has an adverse effect on the heat flux in those corners - makes it non uniform. On the solids side of things it creates stress risers at the corners which is compounded by the non uniform heat flux coming into the area.. There have been headfolds cracks directly traceable to that style elbow.

Additionally, If you did try to use ATP's EWG. It would create an Impingent flow (a portion of flow would head down to turbo, while the other ripped away and turned up to EWG). again, not an ideal design for flow. This would create a lot of shear in the flow and could contribute to backpressure.

CPE's atmosphere elbow addresses all of these problems. EWG turns sideways with the flow instead of up and backwards.
An elbow I had custom made to match the flange locations of the ATP elbow with better port matching on the head side and no EWG port.

Don’t wanna put too many photos, there are more in my build thread but here’s what it looks like

It sounds like ATP’s elbow is never gonna be a high performer, just down to the way they made it.

It’s kind of ****ty, it wouldn’t have been too complicated for them to do it right, I assume they just did a “make it fit” design and figured the rest would work itself out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,871 ·

I'd like to keep it IWG and run this elbow. The atmosphere kit is a lot of coin. If I have to to hit my goals, then I will.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
You know if your focus is out of commission you could theoretically do what I did and have someone make a jig based off your ATP elbow, that way you aren’t tied to the same fabricator that I used.

·
Administrator
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,873 ·
You know if your focus is out of commission you could theoretically do what I did and have someone make a jig based off your ATP elbow, that way you aren’t tied to the same fabricator that I used.

Im using your guy, I don't have time to dick around with that leg work. I just want somebody to shut up and take my money. Lol

·
Administrator
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,874 ·
Well, the Atmosphere kit seems like the best avenue for attack. Ugh. I think Im going to send an email to an expert.

Reactions: Habriant40

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
I just noticed that the atmosphere kit doesn't have a 5-bolt to downpipe adapter. Custom DP or going with a new turbine housing?

·
Administrator
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,876 ·
I just noticed that the atmosphere kit doesn't have a 5-bolt to downpipe adapter. Custom DP or going with a new turbine housing?
The kit comes with a DP, Im assuming it'll fit the ATP hotside. I may be sending CPE an email.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
An elbow I had custom made to match the flange locations of the ATP elbow with better port matching on the head side and no EWG port.

Don’t wanna put too many photos, there are more in my build thread but here’s what it looks like

It sounds like ATP’s elbow is never gonna be a high performer, just down to the way they made it.

It’s kind of ****ty, it wouldn’t have been too complicated for them to do it right, I assume they just did a “make it fit” design and figured the rest would work itself out.

That's f**kin rad. Glad this exists. nice work
Well, the Atmosphere kit seems like the best avenue for attack. Ugh. I think Im going to send an email to an expert.
Yeah they do sell that kit without a turbo.. I'm sure you've seen that.
They also sell just the elbow.. could cap it off until you're ready to go EWG. (save $)

If your 600 whp build will be counting on making power while having the waste gate open at certain rpm's, then CPE's is a really good set up. The less work it takes to get excess air mass out, the less work you take away from your crankshaft - the benefit of EWG (ik u know)

·
Administrator
11,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,878 ·
That's f**kin rad. Glad this exists. nice work

Yeah they do sell that kit without a turbo.. I'm sure you've seen that.
They also sell just the elbow.. could cap it off until you're ready to go EWG. (save $)

If your 600 whp build will be counting on making power while having the waste gate open at certain rpm's, then CPE's is a really good set up. The less work it takes to get excess air mass out, the less work you take away from your crankshaft - the benefit of EWG (ik u know)

I sent Justin, my tuner, an email.

Also sent CP-E an email.

I have a feeling I will not be able to get my turbo, in their kit.

So, i either go GTX3582 in the atmosphere, or I just go upgraded headifold adapter +IWG+ ATP.

I can sell the gtx to recoup, its real nice with the Tial 16psi IWG actuator, sell my whoosh DP too. Would lessen the sting of dropping 5400 on a turbo kit.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts

Also sent CP-E an email.

So, i either go GTX3582 in the atmosphere, or I just go upgraded headifold adapter +IWG+ ATP.

I can sell the gtx to recoup, its real nice with the Tial 16psi IWG actuator, sell my whoosh DP too. Would lessen the sting of dropping 5400 on a turbo kit.
you could sell the gtx to me... If dogecoin ever decides to stop flopping around.
BWS hybrid isn't doing this fresh long block build enough justice. No matter what I tune I'm capped at 32lb/min of air.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts

Also sent CP-E an email.

You could also swap to a tial turbine housing, which is what I believe the kit is made to attach to.

1861 - 1880 of 2012 Posts