Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before EBC had their global online catalogues, this is how automotive and Motorcycle parts could be found in 1997!

What do you miss (or miss doing) that technology has replaced, if anything?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Before EBC had their global online catalogues, this is how automotive and Motorcycle parts could be found in 1997!

What do you miss (or miss doing) that technology has replaced, if anything?
Quite frankly, the information made available through internet access has overall been a windfall for humanity.
As much as I may loath dealing with a dang cell phone where people have unhindered access to bugging me 24/7, I'm not sure I could go back to not having a GPS. I've been lost in almost every major city in this country, and going back to that isn't an appealing thought. I also consider social media nothing but a mechanism for hate, bile, and more than anything else, a tool that separates humans from reality.
The one thing I do find missing is, and even though it was a lot more work, the "old days" required a lot of phone calls and interacting with people who had real hands-on experience. Real conversations, many of them in person. I learned from people with wisdom and experience, and that goes a long way. The local hardware store employed people with actual knowledge, or they owned the place. Same at the auto parts counter. You get to know a lot of people this way, and that interaction is sorely missed, at least by me.

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quite frankly, the information made available through internet access has overall been a windfall for humanity.
As much as I may loath dealing with a dang cell phone where people have unhindered access to bugging me 24/7, I'm not sure I could go back to not having a GPS. I've been lost in almost every major city in this country, and going back to that isn't an appealing thought. I also consider social media nothing but a mechanism for hate, bile, and more than anything else, a tool that separates humans from reality.
The one thing I do find missing is, and even though it was a lot more work, the "old days" required a lot of phone calls and interacting with people who had real hands-on experience. Real conversations, many of them in person. I learned from people with wisdom and experience, and that goes a long way. The local hardware store employed people with actual knowledge, or they owned the place. Same at the auto parts counter. You get to know a lot of people this way, and that interaction is sorely missed, at least by me.
You are so right. We have become reliant on phones and GPS nowadays but there was something simple about not being contacted whilst you were out but the fact that We also SMS and video call people now, We have lost the personal touch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts