Ford Focus ST Forum banner
501 - 512 of 512 Posts

· Registered
4,366 Posts
Anybody ever try a twin turbo setup on the ST platform? any benefits, pro vs. con? overkill? what brand/model turbos would be used for it? I was looking through some old pics from a bike night downtown after a superbike race at Mid Ohio I was at several years ago and the twin turbo Supra caught my attention so just kinda wondering if it was a option on our platform since I never hear anything about that route since the go to seems to be the 2867 etc which Im guessing is due to space/ mounting limitations for ease of installation.

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Hood
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car

· Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
9,373 Posts
@20focusSTdriver17 it isn't possible due to the single exhaust port on our cylinder head. If we had a 4 port head it would be possible to plumb 2 opposing cylinders (as far as firing order goes) into two tiny turbos, but it would be a lot of work and money for the same power potential.

· Registered
616 Posts
This thread has been dormant for a while so I apologize if I am "necro"ing it.

I have been trying to figure out what are the differences between a g25-660 and g30-660? I believe the FoST uses standard rotation turbos? I thought I wanted to use a 2867r gen2, then I thought I wanted a 3071 bnr, now I think with the way I plan to build the engine in the long run that it would be better for me to just get the gXX-660 but again I can't find a solid comparison of the real differences between the g25 and g30.

@jwuonog
What ar was on this setup?

@MailmanMike
What is your redline with this setup? Since stock k03 is recommended to shift at 5800rpm and anything above that is useless...how far above 5800rpm are you able to go with power before needing to shift?
We the motor blew on the dyno at 6200 RPMs making 450 whp and still climbing. The rev limiter is set to 6700.

I’m now tuning for the same setup but I built a 2.3l stroker. I am only working on the first tune for 93 octane with stock fuel. Then on to PI with ethanol blend and straight e85.

• Sad
Reactions: itssocoldinthe

· Registered
616 Posts
@MailmanMike Do you know what the cause of the motor failure was? I want to build up the 2.0 and avoid a 2.3 stroker if I can.
Well the tune it was running on had 13k on it. I’d say it was a combination of a dyno operator and just a lot of miles and power on the stock internals. The operator stabbed it in second and over rev’ed the engine badly before the pull. It lost traction on the roller and shot well past the limiter. I told him to not make a pull in any gear but 4th. Also told him it would be making around 450/450.
Gas Machine Metal Differential Auto part

· Registered
3,743 Posts
This thread has been dormant for a while so I apologize if I am "necro"ing it.

I have been trying to figure out what are the differences between a g25-660 and g30-660? I believe the FoST uses standard rotation turbos? I thought I wanted to use a 2867r gen2, then I thought I wanted a 3071 bnr, now I think with the way I plan to build the engine in the long run that it would be better for me to just get the gXX-660 but again I can't find a solid comparison of the real differences between the g25 and g30.

@jwuonog
What ar was on this setup?

@MailmanMike
What is your redline with this setup? Since stock k03 is recommended to shift at 5800rpm and anything above that is useless...how far above 5800rpm are you able to go with power before needing to shift?
The g25 vs g30 will depend on your power goals, the 30 will have more headroom up top and probably a slower spool because of it

· Registered
546 Posts
...G25-550...
Looks like we have quite the similarity in build down to the car color, exhaust, and turbo.

How's things been in the reliability department since you swapped in the 550?

I'm awaiting return of some housings from a ceramic coater along with delivery of the parts needed to make a Radium aux fuel setup and am trying to get a good idea of what to look out for (if anything).

Seems like you've been golden the whole time ... almost makes me want to switch to the same tuner too.

Reactions: jwuonog

· Registered
2018 Focus ST3
269 Posts
Looks like we have quite the similarity in build down to the car color, exhaust, and turbo.

How's things been in the reliability department since you swapped in the 550?

I'm awaiting return of some housings from a ceramic coater along with delivery of the parts needed to make a Radium aux fuel setup and am trying to get a good idea of what to look out for (if anything).

Seems like you've been golden the whole time ... almost makes me want to switch to the same tuner too.
It's been about a year and a half, close to 20k miles since I put the turbo on. Not a single issue. Car runs great! I do a few WOT redline pulls per week. I'm using NGK ruthenium gapped to .026 and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

I never get into boost (maybe 5 or less pounds) until my oil temp is 150. No WOT at low engine speeds.

My tuner (Alan Jackson) knew that I wanted a safe and reliable tune, so it might be on the conservative side. Vdyno showed 360ish on 93, and a little more on E30. Either way, the car is a blast to drive.

By the way, who are you tuned by? I can't recommend Alan enough. Even with aux fuel on E50, I'm sure he could give a tune that is reliable.

501 - 512 of 512 Posts