Ford Focus ST Forum banner

481 - 497 of 497 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST3
184 Posts
What kind of MPG are you big turbo guys seeing (when you stay out of boost)?

I imagine it's pretty good compared to the stock turbo (which is almost boosting at idle!)

·
Registered
154 Posts
So I've checked all the lines and fittings on my used 2867 and all looks clean. I'm buying new crush washers, oil drain gaskets, and manifold bolts with washers.

The fire ring is smashed into the groove pretty well. I tried getting it out with a pick, but gave up after a few minutes. I've got it soaking in penetrating oil overnight and I'll go at it again today.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts

I imagine it's pretty good compared to the stock turbo (which is almost boosting at idle!)
I got over 29mpg with e40 when doing a little family trip the other day. Usually around 16 with all city driving all city though lol

·
Registered
154 Posts
So guys that have done the GTX turbo swap, did you have to buy more vacuum line for the wastegate line coming from the boost controller? I noticed in the CJPP video, it looks like the used a longer line on that side to reach the wastegate.

Anyone know what size the vacuum lines are coming off the boost controller? I'm gonna guess 4-5mm.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

26 mpg mixed driving (Lyft, Uber, Postmates), 20 mph all city and 36 mph 95% freeway @70 mph cruise. I got the same thing with the stock turbo.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
So guys that have done the GTX turbo swap, did you have to buy more vacuum line for the wastegate line coming from the boost controller? I noticed in the CJPP video, it looks like the used a longer line on that side to reach the wastegate.

Anyone know what size the vacuum lines are coming off the boost controller? I'm gonna guess 4-5mm.
Just buy plenty of line it's cheap and cut to length.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just buy plenty of line it's cheap and cut to length.
Yeah I just wanted to be prepared before heading to my buddies house to do the install.

I bought 10ft of each 4, 5, and 6mm silicone hoses from summit for ~ $30. So I think I'm covered lol.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Running a 2014 FoST tuned by Randy at Mountune. Finally got a turbo upgrade, bought used 2971R from car group guy. Stock fuel system, catted MBRP clone DP from CJPP. Injen intake, using EWG with a custom dump tube. Using tighter actuator springs to hold boost.

Airflow mass is like 38 lbs at peak, boost pressure 25 lbs.

91 oct tune to keep things conservative but run 93 oct.

I'm hitting only 310 whp / 325 wtq on a dynojet in 90 degree climate. That's at least 40 lower than my goal was.

1) How much variance is there dyno to dyno when using dynojet systems?

2) How much does a 91 vs 93 oct tune make with BT setups?

3) How much difference would I experience using a catless DP?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
Running a 2014 FoST tuned by Randy at Mountune. Finally got a turbo upgrade, bought used 2971R from car group guy. Stock fuel system, catted MBRP clone DP from CJPP. Injen intake, using EWG with a custom dump tube. Using tighter actuator springs to hold boost.

Airflow mass is like 38 lbs at peak, boost pressure 25 lbs.

91 oct tune to keep things conservative but run 93 oct.

I'm hitting only 310 whp / 325 wtq on a dynojet in 90 degree climate. That's at least 40 lower than my goal was.

1) How much variance is there dyno to dyno when using dynojet systems?

2) How much does a 91 vs 93 oct tune make with BT setups?

3) How much difference would I experience using a catless DP?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
On 93 I was at 350 hp 375-400 torque. 91 vs 93 makes a bigger difference than most people think especially when you want to push the motor for more hp. A catless downpipe can give you a little more mid-top end. I’d say if you where on 93 you be at where I was. My other best advice would be to get a watermeth system. I run the AEM V2 and it rocks. It’s like running 116 octane gas. I’m also running a 4 port aux fuel rail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone been in a “stage 3” with aux fuel ST with the 2867r or the efr6758? The idea of the torque readiness of the BW does intrigue me but I do want more top end pull.

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
I have had mine set up that way for a while. Anything over 3200 will be torque city. As well
As not drop off like the oem turbo

·
Registered
640 Posts
so I love this thread! I even stole some research from this guy. How ever dyno results and compressor flow charts have proven that the GT3576 flows better than the GT3076 even when attached to a smaller exhaust housing when there is no post back pressure feeding back into the exhaust housing. This thread alone allowed me to take a big risk and feel comfortable using a journal bearing GT3576 matted to my custom manifold. I usually see 20 PSI @ 3800 RPMs unsure of what numbers she’s making at the moment as I’m still working out kinks with my built engine etc.

And yes this is still a 2.0 ST not an RS

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST3
184 Posts
What do you think is the best turbo upgrade for the stock fuel system? I plan to go big turbo eventually. Still on the fence if I want to do any fuel upgrades.

I was thinking something like the GTX2860R or GT2863R. It could still benefit from fuel upgrades later, but would be fine on the stock fuel system as it would get pretty close to the stock system's limits.

But then I saw the G25-550, which can flow more than a GTX2867R but can also spool faster than a 2860. Would it be a "waste of turbo" to have this on the stock fuel system?

·
Registered
15 TB Focus ST3
484 Posts
What do you think is the best turbo upgrade for the stock fuel system? I plan to go big turbo eventually. Still on the fence if I want to do any fuel upgrades.

I was thinking something like the GTX2860R or GT2863R. It could still benefit from fuel upgrades later, but would be fine on the stock fuel system as it would get pretty close to the stock system's limits.

But then I saw the G25-550, which can flow more than a GTX2867R but can also spool faster than a 2860. Would it be a "waste of turbo" to have this on the stock fuel system?
SOOO I asked Brian @ JST this exact question basically.. I have goals of 500whp, but want more power interim so was asking what I could 'max stock internals out on safely' if I need to in-between turbo or just go for a g25-660 which is my selected end goal turbo. I'll paste the email:

"i think honestly for your goals the G25-660 is going to be the answer, that can support just over 500whp and will spool faster than a 2971. you could even run that turbo on low boost for now and it still have great drivability while still making a relatively safe amount of power on the stock block"

I wouldn't want to change his words, but after some research, a g25-660 actually flows very similarly to a 2867 even, so def faster than a 2971.. I don't see why to short yourself of turbo if its still within drive-ability characteristics!

Reactions: jwuonog

·
Registered
2,509 Posts

nothing is a waste of the stock fuel system so to speak..just depends on how much delay you want in the boost coming in. stock turbo, boost is always there, bigger the turbo you go will delay you but then pretty much any aftermarket turbo will still keep pulling to redline. I lived with my efr6758 on stock fuel and a conservative old tune that was only good for about 330whp/tq for a couple years and was tons of fun. Starting spooling well early 3k rpms and then held well to redline. Still more fun than the stock turbo that just has the tq curve fall down a hill as the rpms climb.

Adding aux fuel and e40 made a huge difference though. The aux fuel and e40 obviously increased top end power but it was the shift in the power band that made the most difference. Butt dyno felt the mid range power increase a bunch. Third gear in traffic/passing situations just came on harder sooner.

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST3
184 Posts
I have a G25-550 now.

20 psi by 2900 RPM.
24 psi by 3100 RPM.

This is with a turbo blanket and exhaust manifold blanket, so take that for what it's worth.

481 - 497 of 497 Posts