Ford Focus ST Forum banner

461 - 480 of 497 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Those 2 are popular because the cpe and jbr cold side kits have the option of running hks or tial-- and a bolt on cold side kit is the easiest way to add an external bov.

About any ol BOV will work fine, it's especially easy when you can vent to atmosphere.

Tial is honestly a little overkill for the power/boost levels all of us run, but at the same time it never hurts to have a larger diameter/higher flowing BOV.

I run a turbosmart vee port, I got a flange welded on locally.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Those 2 are popular because the cpe and jbr cold side kits have the option of running hks or tial-- and a bolt on cold side kit is the easiest way to add an external bov.

About any ol BOV will work fine, it's especially easy when you can vent to atmosphere.

Tial is honestly a little overkill for the power/boost levels all of us run, but at the same time it never hurts to have a larger diameter/higher flowing BOV.

I run a turbosmart vee port, I got a flange welded on locally.
That's like saying running cut springs is the same as getting a quality coilover kit. Tial and HKS builds their products to a high quality standard, so you know what you're getting every time. I wouldn't use "any old BOV"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
That's like saying running cut springs is the same as getting a quality coilover kit. Tial and HKS builds their products to a high quality standard, so you know what you're getting every time. I wouldn't use "any old BOV"

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
So you are implying turbo smart is **** compared to Tial and HKS? I have been running a turbosmart 38mm type 5 BPV on my big turbo, I had a Tial before and got sick of the sound of an squealing walrus every time I changed gear. Turbosmart have some of the best quality BOV's and gates in the market. Tial was also good for build quality, but I prefer the turbosmart.

I would say you don't know much about brands if you think turbosmart aren't up there with Tial or HKS. Either that or you got one of the fake turbosmarts off ebay. There are some monster cars out there running turbo smart BOV's and gates, just like there are tial. I have found the whole Tial vs. Turbosmart to be like BMW vs Mercedes. You will find fan boys on either side. But in saying that, it is asinine to make the comparison of cut springs to coil overs (turbosmart to Tial or HKS).

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
His comment wasn't directed to turbosmart being garbage, just like he quoted, he is directing it toward the "any old BOV will work" comment...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
His comment wasn't directed to turbosmart being garbage, just like he quoted, he is directing it toward the "any old BOV will work" comment...

Any will work you can even use a crushed BOV from a first gen DSM. 22mm is enough, good to at least 500 hp, 99% of you won't reach that.

·
Registered
344 Posts

My bad didn't read it properly. I think this applies to everything, you get what you pay for. If you get an ebay special for $40 don't be surprised when it ****s itself. But any reputable brand is good enough. As DJ just mentioned even a 22mm will suffice.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Any will work you can even use a crushed BOV from a first gen DSM. 22mm is enough, good to at least 500 hp, 99% of you won't reach that.
Well if you want to rely on a no name cheap Chinese knock off part then go ahead.

It's not about the size or flow rate but of the build quality and manufacturing tolerances... You want a part that's going to last and work perfectly every time... With some of these cheap ass eBay parts, youre lucky if they work out of the box let alone one year after you install it.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Well if you want to rely on a no name cheap Chinese knock off part then go ahead.

It's not about the size or flow rate but of the build quality and manufacturing tolerances... You want a part that's going to last and work perfectly every time... With some of these cheap ass eBay parts, youre lucky if they work out of the box let alone one year after you install it.

I try to avoid knock-offs. I use a Turbosmart Pro Vee 22 mm, it will not fall apart anytime soon. Lots of low cost turbo builds have used the OE Mitsubishi DSM BOV, they are just becoming more difficult to find.

Nobody was talking about cheap parts. When I saw how much CP-e and JBR wanted for a replacement cold pipe with a flange on it I felt that was too much for a part that isn't that critical in location and your paying for convenience.

A quick Google search turned up a local race car fab shop who does private brand manufacturing as well, welded up my BOV for $50. Total was more only because I decided to spurge for the Mountune silicone hoses and hard pipe.

But if I used the stock hard pipe the cost was $180 for the Pro Vee, $20 for the stainless flange (BOV comes with a aluminum) and $50 to weld it up = $250 or the price of a Tial BOV that won't do anything more and it's bigger.

For such low power targets you don't need the Tial and the HKS is just brand recognition they could be making those in Malaysia for you know. Tamiya makes it's scale model kits and R/C cars in the Philippines and I don't hear modelist screaming about that.

·
Registered
314 Posts
From what I have gathered my turbosmart bov will work? I do not plan on getting AUX fuel so I will remain under 375 whp.

·
Registered
166 Posts

My Tial BoV and EWG came from Taiwan.

·
Registered
344 Posts
From what I have gathered my turbosmart bov will work? I do not plan on getting AUX fuel so I will remain under 375 whp.
Not if it is the type that is integral to the K03. A generic turbo smart like a type 5 will work, but the stock turbo ones are designed to replace the stock BPV. You may be able to fabricate something up to fit it but I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Not if it is the type that is integral to the K03. A generic turbo smart like a type 5 will work, but the stock turbo ones are designed to replace the stock BPV. You may be able to fabricate something up to fit it but I wouldn't bother.
Ah gotcha, thank you. That was what I was looking for!

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Got a question for you all. I recently bought a used gtx2867r gen II. I'm going to replace the fire ring gasket for sure. There are 2 versions however:

https://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/mercha...tp&Product_Code=ATP-FOC-041&Category_Code=FET

I'm assuming 64mm OD is the one I need, but can anyone confirm?
I’ve emailed ATP quite a few times and they are very quick to respond most of the time. Might be worth the email to make sure you get the right one the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
I’ve emailed ATP quite a few times and they are very quick to respond most of the time. Might be worth the email to make sure you get the right one the first time.

Ok thanks guys. I shot off a question to ATP before I posted here. Just wanted to see who was faster lol.

Once I get the turbo in, I'll check all the lines/fittings to see if I need to replace those too.

Reactions: johnboysavage

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Ok thanks guys. I shot off a question to ATP before I posted here. Just wanted to see who was faster lol.

Once I get the turbo in, I'll check all the lines/fittings to see if I need to replace those too.
Double check all the fittings before you install the turbo. The coolant line isn’t accessible once the turbo is mounted. Also, I’d double check all the bolts on both the hot and cold side housings. Good last check before you install it and then find out you have a leak somewhere and can’t find it. Just my .02 cents from a guy that’s swapped turbos about 5 times on the ST.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys I have a quick question. Can anyone tell me about the Mountune 2.0 short block for the ST? I’m looking to possible buy it if it will work with my setup. And do they offer military discounts?

2013 ST
GTX3076R
COBB Stage 3

Best fuels near me are 92 and E85.

Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi guys, recently installed my gen1 gtx 2867 .64, its great. I am running the CPE fmic piping with HKS BOV. Coming from the turbosmart 50/50 BOV that vents with the slightest amount of boost its quite a difference. I am curious at what PSI you BT set up BOV's vent at. I seem to only vent if post 8-10 lbs of boost, and the sound is way different! Is venting around that much PSI normal, or should it be VTAing at a lower PSI?

461 - 480 of 497 Posts