Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm coming up on the 8th anniversary of the purchase of my ST, so I guess it's about time to get a Build Thread put together.
First, a little background. As we all know, Ford started teasing the ST as soon as the Mk3 Focus went on sale for Model Year 2012. In June of 2012, Ford brought a preproduction ST to the Carlisle Ford Nationals, and they were allowing people to crawl all over and inside it, and I was smitten. Myself and my now-ex-wife purchased a 2012 Focus Titanium in July of 2012 after reading all of the car magazine reviews and taking a couple of test drives. Great car; in fact, she still has it and still loves it! As fun as the Titanium was, I knew that it would be amazing with an extra 90 horsepower, a 6-speed, and Recaro seats. At that time, I was driving my daily-driven show truck, my 2004 Ford Ranger. As much as I loved that truck, I was starting to get small sporty car fever again, but I knew that I had to wait until the 2014 Model Year to get my ST.
I placed my order on August 23, 2013 for a Performance Blue ST2 with Blue Recaros and a moon roof, and the timing was perfect. A VIN was issued the next day, right before the assembly plant shut-down for two weeks, and my ST was assembled on September 9th. Dealership took delivery on September 23rd.
Fresh off of the truck:
ST DELIVERY2 by Michael Read, on Flickr
ST DELIVERY 1 by Michael Read, on Flickr
I signed all of the papers on September 30, and picked the car up on October 3rd with 7 miles on the odometer.
I installed a full set of Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners and my trusty V1 radar detector on a BlendMount in the dealership parking lot and drove my new ride home.
By the time I got home 90 minutes later, I knew it was a keeper.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, why the Atomic Punk? Well, as you can probably tell by my screen name, I love Van Halen and I'm a huuuuuuge Eddie Van Halen nut. Atomic Punk is the name of one of the songs off of Van Halen's debut album, and it seemed like a great name for my newest project, especially considering the little 2 Liter thermonuclear reactor living under that Performance Blue hood.
Here is the ST and the Titanium in my driveway:
ST & Ti 009 by Michael Read, on Flickr
Over the course of the next couple of weeks, I installed a set of Redline tuning QuickLift hood struts, hard-wired my V1 to fuse #85, installed the Cobb air filter from the soon-to-be-installed Cobb intake kit, and installed a set of Weathertech side window deflectors. I also covered the scratch-prone B- and C-pillar trim with some 3M 1080 carbon fiber vinyl, installed a Breedt aluminum shift knob, and fabbed-up a mount for my fire extinguisher and Mag Light. there's also a bit of "PB Goodness" on the subwoofer grille
ST 71514 010 by Michael Read, on Flickr
ST 71514 011 by Michael Read, on Flickr
ST 71514 012 by Michael Read, on Flickr
That's it for right now. ST is going into hibernation, but much more to come.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah--finally! Now it will probably be six months before I add to it.

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Apparently, I had some time while the ST was in Winter storage. I was storing it in my Father's old woodshop, so I had plenty of room to work and i could get some heat in there to make it more comfortable.
Breedt Quick shift Arm:
ST 71514 007 by Michael Read, on Flickr
Installed the rest of the Cobb Intake and one of my AirPortal intake cover panels, the color-matched and hydro-dipped engine cover, and threw on an early iteration of my CoverAlls trim panels. Looks like there's an eBay billet oil cap as well:
ST 71514 006 by Michael Read, on Flickr
Along towards April, I got the Magnaflow cat-back installed, deleted the Focus badge on the hatch, installed a set of rally Armor mud flaps, a set of 20/25 Garageline wheel spacers, some LEDs in the hatch, and a Breedt symposer delete plate.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Still in April of 2014. UK Ford Power Button installed. Lami-X yellow foglight covers, Lamin-X tint on the orange headlight reflector, some gloss black vinyl on the license plate recess, Triple R Composites front splitter, and some NiteShades tint on the tail lights. It looks really dark in this picture, but it was nowhere near that dark in reality.
ST & Ti 008 by Michael Read, on Flickr
A pair of Magnaflow'd Mark 3s.
ST & Ti 013 by Michael Read, on Flickr
A better pic of the NiteShaded tails:
atown 14 013 by Michael Read, on Flickr
Painted brake calipers red, added some Mountune badges behind the front wheel opening. These pics were taken later in the year--notice the foliage. I took a ride up Skyline Drive/Mount Equinox to get a bunch of photos.
skyline drive 048 by Michael Read, on Flickr
skyline drive 028 by Michael Read, on Flickr
skyline drive 054 by Michael Read, on Flickr
June 2014--attended my first Carlisle Ford Nationals with the ST. I can't find any pics from the showfield.
Award from Focus Rising '14, nothing for the "Big Show":
20210930_115715 - Copy by Michael Read, on Flickr
On July 3rd, 2014, we had a freak hailstorm roll through and the ST got nailed, mostly on the roof. There was PDR going-on all over Rutland VT for the next two months. Every car dealership in the city got hammered as well as hundreds of personal vehicles. I had the ST PDR'd on August 18th.
November 2014, back into storage for the Winter with 10,697 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
April of 2015, and it's time to get back to work!
The Steeda "499" FMIC was installed along the the infamous Rocket Science RS Snorkel. There weren't many of those around; I know Deuce had one of the originals as well.
Installed a set of NGK Iridium IX plugs, and some 3M carbon fiber vinyl on the center gauge surround, HVAC panel, and shifter surround.
June 2015--second trip to Carlisle with the ST. Slacked-off again--no pics of the ST, but here's a few of the RS and GT350 that were on display.
DSC00171 by Michael Read, on Flickr
DSC00169 by Michael Read, on Flickr
DSC00168 by Michael Read, on Flickr
Wire Splice Recall performed 8/17/2015. Steeda billet hood latch installed.
Back into storage 12/15 with 15,839 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Back out of storage, and here we go for 2016.
Eagle Eye projector headlights with LED light bar and Saleen-style production number decals front and rear. The Punk is #2304 of 14036 built for Model Year 2014, #367 of 2381 in Performance Blue, and 1 of 363 in Performance Blue with the Blue Recaro seat package.
20210905_130612 by Michael Read, on Flickr
Installed a Velossa Tech wing riser kit, then removed 2 months later and replaced with a D.I.Y. riser kit.
I installed the Ford Racing Short Shifter Assembly that I bought used from a member here, along with a set of Boosted Designs solid shifter base bushings. Next up was a Mountune Uprated Recirc Valve, a Damond Stage 1 oil catch can, a set of Velossa Tech rear diffuser fins. While at Carlisle in June, I had a Mountune rear roll restrictor (RMM) installed on the showfield by True Blue Racing.
Some Boomba stuff for underhood: Billet dipstick and oil cap. New battery at 20004 miles.
Installed some blue vinyl piping on the panel seams on the front and rear doors. This little pop of color makes a huge difference.
20210905_120243 by Michael Read, on Flickr
Focus Rising Award for Best Interior, 2nd Place in the "Big Show""
20210930_115722 - Copy by Michael Read, on Flickr
20210930_115847 by Michael Read, on Flickr
And then it's December again--back into hibernation at 20,293 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2017 looking to be a pretty busy year:
Steeda Bolt-In Jacking Rails. It's been said many times before, but just get these if you haven't already.
CHMSL/3rd brake light flasher module installed. I bought this on a Group buy from STBrakeflashers.com
Now for some "Big Money, No Whammys". TSW Bathurst wheels with Michelin Pilot SuperSport tires.
DSC00359 (2) by Michael Read, on Flickr
I feel that the stock SnowFlakes are one of the best looking wheels ever, so it was going to take something special to replace them. Fitment is 95% perfect; could potentially use a 5mm spacer at some point. Garageline wheels spacers no longer needed, so those went up for sale.
Had a couple of recalls done: Rear Latch Release and Door Latch.
Next up was a huge, stressful project that I have contemplated doing for 3 years.
DSC00361 by Michael Read, on Flickr
Finally, after many hours of layout and much soul-searching, I drilled the first hole.
No going back now!
DSC00364 by Michael Read, on Flickr
DSC00371 by Michael Read, on Flickr
DSC00381 by Michael Read, on Flickr
One hole done, one to go.
DSC00394 by Michael Read, on Flickr
Top side done. Cleaned-up edges and sprayed some PB to the underside of the hood.
DSC00393 by Michael Read, on Flickr
I temporarily reinstalled the underhood liner and marked through the holes to trim the liner. Then I sprayed the exposed foam with Plasti-Dip--the only Plasti-Dip that has ever been used on this car.
Fully-functional MK2 RS hood vents, color-matched to Performance Blue.
DSC00396 - Copy by Michael Read, on Flickr
So worth it!

Reactions: beretta96

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Next up was the messiest mod that I've ever done, but totally worth it in the end--sanded the back of the grill insert. I used an angle grinder with an 80-grit flap wheel, then finished up with some 220 grit on a 5" random orbit sander. Since I now had no way to mount my front license plate, I added a Sto-N-Sho front plate mount. Expensive, but I 100% recommend it.
Since I had the bumper cover off to sand the grill, I installed a Velossa Tech Bigger Mouth with a Performance Blue flare. Ultra-rare RS Snorkel went to a new owner.
I had an FSWerks Lower Stress Bar with new lower control arm bolts--this was the first mod that I hadn't performed myself. It just seemed like it was going to be a ***** to install in my dirt driveway on ramps, so I had the local VW/Chevy dealership install it.
All ready for the trip to Carlisle. Again, no pics, but I did come home with these:
20210930_115833 - Copy by Michael Read, on Flickr
20210930_115743 - Copy by Michael Read, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After Carlisle, I removed the DIY Wing Risers and installed a Maxton Designs Spoiler Extension. This is the final iteration of the rear wing, unless I go with a filled and color-matched RS spoiler at some point.
After much discussion with the mighty @Duece McCracken at Carlisle, I installed one of the JBR weighted shift arms. While I enjoyed the added weight of the JBR, I much preferred the adjustability of the Breedt Quick Shift. I have my Breedt in the "1-inch rearward" position, and the JBR just was not comfortable for me. Time for another project!
I drilled and tapped a hole in each end of the Breedt arm...
DSC00406 by Michael Read, on Flickr
... and added a JBR weight to each end:
DSC00416 by Michael Read, on Flickr
Better, but not perfect. So, I drilled and tapped another hole in the end of the arm and added the weights there.
DSC00420 by Michael Read, on Flickr
DSC00422 by Michael Read, on Flickr
Now that I had proof of concept, I sold-off the JBR and made my own set of weights out of some 1/2"-thick plate steel. The EVH Hybrid Shifter was born.
This is the final iteration. I works great, and I sold a couple of the kits that I put together.
DSC00017 by Michael Read, on Flickr

Reactions: TurboGT

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Added the Steeda Clutch Assist Spring and a Steeda Billet Hood Release Handle in the interior. No carnage with the clutch spring for this guy.
I picked up a set of ST wheel center caps from eBay, but they didn't fit the Bathurst's center bore. I was able to use just the cap portion and attach them to the TSW center caps for a really trick look.
The mid-Summer project was this color-matched RS Engine Cover.
DSC00425 by Michael Read, on Flickr
I tried-out a new shift knob. Raceseng "Slammer Big Bore". I liked the added weight over the aluminum Breedt, but not the shape. Eventually sold it off and ordered an Anarchy Motive, which I still haven't received as of October 2021, but that's a discussion for another day.
I installed a Bracketeer fire extinguisher mount and a Halotron fire extinguisher onto the front passenger seat bolts.
Next up, I installed a color-matched "ducktail" spoiler on the hatch. I used the same flexible eBay Gurney flap that a lot of owners (myself included) add to the rear spoiler, but in this case, I added it below the rear window. I really wanted one of the old Chinese mid-spoilers that were available when the MK3s first came out, but they were no longer available anywhere. This was an inexpensive alternative, an it's a subtle addition that I like.
DSC00437 by Michael Read, on Flickr
DSC00436 by Michael Read, on Flickr
Newly-acquired, Van Halen-themed vanity plate:
DSC00435 by Michael Read, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Wow that engine bay looks good!
No shot of the center caps? :p
I'm glad you mentioned the Van Halen theme for your plates. I immediately thought of an old snowboarding company and a pro rider named Mike Ranquet. Was a fav. rider of mine since I was a little kid, haha.
I like the 'ducktail' spoiler, but I agree the mid-rear spoilers are pretty rad as well. Any downforce benefit on the rear do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They used to sell them on here. This one is at least 8 years old.

Reactions: junits15

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I never made a note of it in my log book, which is what I'm using to create this Build Log, but I bought an AccessPort from Mountune with a "Randy Tune" in late 2015. I would have installed the tune sometime in May of 2016.

• Haha

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here we go, 2018. Another busy year, with some ups and downs, which will be documented later.
Over the Winter, one of the projects that I worked on was creating a Euro-style rear fog lamp. I bought an extra driver's side rear reflector and set about installing a couple of super low-profile LED strips inside of it. This involved carefully cutting a notch into the backside of the reflector, installing the LEDs, and resealing the back.
IMG_0003 by Michael Read, on Flickr
IMG_0005 by Michael Read, on Flickr
IMG_0004 by Michael Read, on Flickr
I then ran wiring forward to the engine compartment to a relay and a waterproof auxiliary fuse box that is mounted to the fuse box cover. This relay is triggered by the factory fog light circuit. there is also an additional circuit in the fuse box for a surprise coming up later on. I just ran out in the rain and snapped this pic of the real fog lamp:
20211004_180005 by Michael Read, on Flickr
This year's "big project" was repainting the brake calipers. I decided to order new front and rear calipers and caliper brackets from Rockauto.com so that I could do a really thorough job of painting them, since it was going to be a pretty drastic color change. I had slowly been adding some Lime Green accents--AirPortal airbox panel, accent stripe on the RS engine cover--and I was really digging how the Lime Green pooped with Performance Blue. Granted, it's probably not for everyone, but I absolutely love it. I ordered a can of G2 Lime Green caliper paint and got started. While I was at it, I bought a set of StopTech stainless brake hoses as well. Paint came out great, but it turned out that one of the rear calipers was not tapped properly for the brake hose. This was a Saturday and I live in a small, tourist-oriented town, so I had to call all over to find the correct-sized tap to clean-up the threads. I found a tap 45 minutes away and blasted on up to get it before the store closed. After much swearing, I was able to get the caliper threaded and the hose installed. I bought a Motive Power Bleeder specifically for this job, but I was having a problem getting the brakes to bleed fully. After many starts and stops, I was finally able to get the brakes bled. It turned out to be operator error, but in my defense, I'm a pretty good Wrench Turner, but I'm no Mechanic. Did I mention that my ST was up on 4 jack stands in my dirt driveway underneath a pop-up canopy while I was doing the brake work? With two sets of canopy weights on the legs? While I was at work after the brakes were finished, we had some sort of crazy wind storm blow though the area. When I got home, my GF gave my the bad news: the wind storm had gotten ahold of the canopy and dragged it down both sides and hooked one of the feet on the front bumper cover right above the grill opening. There was some pretty good scuffs all the way around the car, but luckily, I was able to buff all of those out. The nose was a different story; it was gouged pretty badly. Oh yeah, this was 10 days before we were leaving for Carlisle for the Ford Nationals.
When life gives you lemons...
I made up this little sign to stick on the car on the show field. It says "Are you kidding me!?!?! One week before the Carlisle Ford Nationals, and this happens?" with an arrow pointing to the damage. It was some pretty nasty looking gouging.
IMG_0011 by Michael Read, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
A canopy getting hammered by wind and rain is how I got some little curly cue type scratches in my hood... That's when I wrapped it (right after I polished/compound buffed them out). Paint is such a PITA, but you're sign is pretty rad, lol.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nothing to add today. Just spending a lot of time remembering this guy. Hard to believe that it's been a year since we lost him.
Jeans Musical instrument Microphone Guitar String instrument

1 - 20 of 92 Posts