Ford Focus ST Forum banner

241 - 260 of 1122 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got my Tires and Wheels the other day, I just need to put them on now but its still been in the 40's so I might wait a while. I got Hankook icept evo W310 in 225/50 R17 and some black drag-33's from Discount Tire. They look pretty sweet and I'll think they look good on the Race Red. I got some black lugs to go with them too. 2012-12-10 12.29.41.jpg 2012-12-10 12.28.49-1.jpg

·
Registered
351 Posts
My son came home from college for the Holiday break Friday. We went for a fun 100 mile run yesterday with a bunch of twisties and long flats for passing 2 at once! Showed him what the ST would do!!! I was very pleased how my 225/50/17 Conti Extreme Contact DWS' handled on the dry, salt dusty roads at 32 degrees.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My local discount tire store ended up finding some Yokohama W.Drives in 215/50R17 that they can order in from the mid-west. If you're having trouble finding tires on either DDDirect or your local branch's site, I recommend just giving them a call. They can look through and order available inventory from all other local stores throughout the country.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I had my tires swapped with my Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3s. It was raining all day yesterday and I am really happy with their wet performance so far.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Looking at either Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT or Continental Extreme Wintercontact... still not decided on which to choose. Let me know if you guys have an opinion (or better, experience) on these two tires. I already have the Continental on my Outlander and I like the dry handling a lot... but I feel that the traction on snow/slush could be better. I'm kinda worried that the Goodyear will not give me the best dry handling of the two though... :confused:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Looking at either Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT or Continental Extreme Wintercontact... still not decided on which to choose. Let me know if you guys have an opinion (or better, experience) on these two tires. I already have the Continental on my Outlander and I like the dry handling a lot... but I feel that the traction on snow/slush could be better. I'm kinda worried that the Goodyear will not give me the best dry handling of the two though... :confused:
I have the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT, it's fantastic on the loose stuff. I can tell you from personal experience sport mode plus these tires is excellent in snow.

·
Registered
66 Posts
OMG!

I am sooo torn between getting OEM winter tires (18") and buying new 17" wheels with 17" winter tires and TPMS sensors.

Just don't know what is 'best"

PEI

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I NEVER buy TMPS sensors for my winter wheels... but then again, maybe in your state it is mandatory?

Winter tires on your 18" wheels will not only be very pricey... but you won't get such a good snow/ice/sleet performance from them. With winter tires, it is rather counter-intuitive: The larger, the worst they perform. That's why you see WRC cars using very narrow winter tires. So the BEST solution of the two is the 17 inchers and tires combo.

I finally decided on Continental Extreme Wintercontact... because I wanted to save a bit on tires versus the Goodyears... and that made it possible for me to buy some 16" alloys instead of the steelies (who the parts guy says would fit so tightly it's not such a good idea anyway).

·
Registered
355 Posts
OMG!

I am sooo torn between getting OEM winter tires (18") and buying new 17" wheels with 17" winter tires and TPMS sensors.

Just don't know what is 'best"

PEI
I had the same debate but I decided to go with 17s for these reasons:

1. 17" tires are a lot cheaper than 18s. Even if you do have to buy wheels now, by the time you buy your second set of 17s you probably will have come out ahead (depending on which tires and wheels you chose of course).

2. The slightly larger sidewall of the 17 should give a softer ride than an 18 which might be more comfortable on bad winter roads or when it's very cold.

3. I like having separate wheels so I can switch them myself in my garage, and not having to get the rubber remounted twice a year

4. You can get a set of 4 TPMS sensors for as little as $60 on ebay.

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
That's gonna be a tough choice as they both look good with the white. If I have to choose, I'd go with the second choice, the one's from tirerack.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What do you think of this wheel on the Tuxedo Black ST3?

2013 Ford Focus 5-Door ST

Or this wheel:

2013 Ford Focus 5-Door ST

And, Oh my goodness, another choice:

2013 Ford Focus 5-Door Titanium

You'll have to change the color to Black in the upper left-hand corner

PEI
I was actually looking at the very first ones for ordering my winter tires. I know, I know, a little much for winter tires but I was thinking I would then swap them in the summer. The big kicker is I need to order them down to Portland, Maine already on wheels and balanced so I can just bolt them on before heading home. I still haven't placed my order though... I am still UNDECIDED on the particular tire I want for dealing with NB snow...

H11F.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Did you know that I can get a red center cap for the Motegi wheel? Cool!
But, I am a bit worried about the Motegi MR116 (17x7) wheels. Yesterday, my guy at Discount Tire stated the Motegi are a bit soft, meaning the first time I hit a bad hole in the road the rim could have a ding in it, or be bent. He recommends the Forte F45 Redrum (17x7.5) wheel instead. I like that one also, and it is a 7.5" wheel instead of a 7" wheel like the Motegi.
My concern with the Forte F45 is that it is a "multi-fit bolt pattern" instead of a true 5x108
See the specs for the F45-77503BR here: F45 REDRUM | Forte Wheels

Do I care? Is this really an issue, or not, when I am pushing the car hard in the twisties when the roads are dry?

Thanks for any input,

PEI

·
Registered
293 Posts
Can it happen, yes, is it likely to happen, meh depends on how you drive, your roads, etc. You'll have a fairly tall sidewall with a 17" wheel. Wouldn't be too worried about it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I got my Tires and Wheels the other day, I just need to put them on now but its still been in the 40's so I might wait a while. I got Hankook icept evo W310 in 225/50 R17 and some black drag-33's from Discount Tire. They look pretty sweet and I'll think they look good on the Race Red. I got some black lugs to go with them too. View attachment 2420 View attachment 2421
I got those on my TB ST2. They look sweet. I've been riding on them for a month as the temp here fluxes from the 20's to about 50 on any given day. Nice thing with the Hankook tires is they ride and handle excellent for a snow tire, and their tread life is better than the OEM Eagle F1s

·
Super Moderator
10,731 Posts
How do you know that their tread life is better than OE summers?

Krzys
The F1s are a uber high performance tire designed in Germany and are recommended for use (by Ford) above 40 degrees F. I have three miles on my F1s and all I've read about them are they are soft, easily worn tires. You'd be either crazy or have a deathwish to be riding around on F1s in the snow since they aren't snow tires. That's why I'm riding on Goodyear GTs right now and waiting on any sign of bad weather and I've had good luck and wear with them in my area of the country.

241 - 260 of 1122 Posts