Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Door check, pic 12.
Thank you! It seems to just be a plastic cover so i'm not worried.

I hope this next bit helps a few people out:

So I had my HPFP replaced Monday evening and I wanted to comment on something a lot of us have been talking about over the past year or so. A lot of owners have asked about the subtle hesitation they experience under low load and low speed and a lot of different explanations have come about. Well, I had experienced this issue since day one of ownership. I asked my dealer about it a few times, got no where, so I let it be. Since having my HPFP replaced, that hesitation is now gone. This is not placebo, its legitimately gone. I know its gone because I've been able to duplicate this issue every morning, while techs have been riding along, and basically anytime I do a cold start. Didn't seem to happen once everything warmed up. I used to get it really bad in 3rd gear around 30mph. Its no longer there. I don't know what this means exactly, but replacing the HPFP took care of my issue.

I am not claiming everyone who experiences this has a bad HPFP, but its a place to look when trying to diag this particular problem. My pump went out with no warning what so ever. The day it went out, I was on the highway doing some pretty long WOT "datalog" pulls against a Speed3 (my logs were faster) and everything was normal. Boost, AFRs, CATs, FRP, etc. We did about 10 minutes of datalogging while I was heading down to Miami. Got to Miami, and drove back home with no issue (about 80 miles both ways) Got in the car later that evening after it had sat for about three hours and the CEL was on, and i had a P0087 code. Had no choice but to drive my dealer which is about 55 miles from my home. It was struggling in the morning when it was cold, but after a few revs and some loud pops, everything seemed to settle down, and i putted along to work not going into boost. One additional piece of information: there was no smell of fuel anywhere. Not in the engine bay, not under the car, not near the tank, not in the car. If you were to be in the car while i was driving to work, AFTER it had warmed up, you would think nothing was wrong.

Tags:
@[email protected] @Fuxalt @XRJoe @FordService @[email protected] @[email protected] @[email protected] @EdgeAutosport.com @gringoloco @jdub1981 @Ocysp @[email protected] @Silver_Shooter @ST_Fan @[email protected] @COBB @go46balls @ST3 4 me @ddfred @Lou64 @SIstomper @Gh0st @rader1 @Unfitproduct @SiThlord @ms3blackmica @Jseams @DCRyan @[email protected] @kwiksilvr

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Very interesting. My car has never had that issue and never had the TSB done. Glad you're back on the road and the issue is gone!

Reactions: LOLMS3

·
Registered
3,616 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Would you plz tell me what HPFP is, I have waaaay to much military jargon in my noggin to learn others.

Thanks kindly
high pressure fuel pump

LOLMS3, does this operate in the same fashion as the speeds? Wonder if it's worth doing an internals swap like the speed guys would do

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
high pressure fuel pump

LOLMS3, does this operate in the same fashion as the speeds? Wonder if it's worth doing an internals swap like the speed guys would do
As far as I know, we are unable to modify our hpfp. I believe a few other members have gone down that path, and found that our pumps are sealed I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
978 Posts
How long of the 100,000 were you tuned? Glad the car has been treating you well. And thank you for the time you put into documenting this.

·
Registered
933 Posts
How long of the 100,000 were you tuned? Glad the car has been treating you well. And thank you for the time you put into documenting this.
yea, this thread gives me faith in modding my car. OP, how do you like the boomba pov. Why not the mountune bpv?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
yea, this thread gives me faith in modding my car. OP, how do you like the boomba pov. Why not the mountune bpv?
BOV = noise ... BPV = no noise

I have the forge unit and its substantially quieter then the boomba, that thing is LOUD AF.

Reactions: jdub1981 and LOLMS3

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I've been tuned since the beginning. Before I hit 1,000 miles. Car has been treating me well, but on the very hottest of days, the car does not enjoy me pushing it... I figured since there was a thread about engine failures and all the bad luck people are having over there, i thought i would share my good luck.

When you compare the amount of failures to the amount of healthy ones on the road, this car is actually pretty reliable. Failures will happen, but the majority of us don't have anything too major to report about.

I love my BOV, even though i rarely hear it over my straight pipe. I didn't want a BPV when i purchased the Boomba BOV. It is quite loud, especially outside the vehicle. I have scared a few people who had their windows down while driving in heavy traffic. My exhaust has done the same as well lol.

BOV = noise ... BPV = no noise

I have the forge unit and its substantially quieter then the boomba, that thing is LOUD AF.
Yea the Boomba was quite loud at first, then i went straight pipe with stock dp, and i rarely hear the blow off anymore, unless my windows are down.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I've been tuned since the beginning. Before I hit 1,000 miles. Car has been treating me well, but on the very hottest of days, the car does not enjoy me pushing it... I figured since there was a thread about engine failures and all the bad luck people are having over there, i thought i would share my good luck.

When you compare the amount of failures to the amount of healthy ones on the road, this car is actually pretty reliable. Failures will happen, but the majority of us don't have anything too major to report about.

I love my BOV, even though i rarely hear it over my straight pipe. I didn't want a BPV when i purchased the Boomba BOV. It is quite loud, especially outside the vehicle. I have scared a few people who had their windows down while driving in heavy traffic. My exhaust has done the same as well lol.

Yea the Boomba was quite loud at first, then i went straight pipe with stock dp, and i rarely hear the blow off anymore, unless my windows are down.
I finally got my first "flipping you off for scaring me" the other day ... she didnt take to kindly to the BOV :p

Reactions: kleared42

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thank you! It seems to just be a plastic cover so i'm not worried.

I hope this next bit helps a few people out:

So I had my HPFP replaced Monday evening and I wanted to comment on something a lot of us have been talking about over the past year or so. A lot of owners have asked about the subtle hesitation they experience under low load and low speed and a lot of different explanations have come about. Well, I had experienced this issue since day one of ownership. I asked my dealer about it a few times, got no where, so I let it be. Since having my HPFP replaced, that hesitation is now gone. This is not placebo, its legitimately gone. I know its gone because I've been able to duplicate this issue every morning, while techs have been riding along, and basically anytime I do a cold start. Didn't seem to happen once everything warmed up. I used to get it really bad in 3rd gear around 30mph. Its no longer there. I don't know what this means exactly, but replacing the HPFP took care of my issue.

I am not claiming everyone who experiences this has a bad HPFP, but its a place to look when trying to diag this particular problem. My pump went out with no warning what so ever. The day it went out, I was on the highway doing some pretty long WOT "datalog" pulls against a Speed3 (my logs were faster) and everything was normal. Boost, AFRs, CATs, FRP, etc. We did about 10 minutes of datalogging while I was heading down to Miami. Got to Miami, and drove back home with no issue (about 80 miles both ways) Got in the car later that evening after it had sat for about three hours and the CEL was on, and i had a P0087 code. Had no choice but to drive my dealer which is about 55 miles from my home. It was struggling in the morning when it was cold, but after a few revs and some loud pops, everything seemed to settle down, and i putted along to work not going into boost. One additional piece of information: there was no smell of fuel anywhere. Not in the engine bay, not under the car, not near the tank, not in the car. If you were to be in the car while i was driving to work, AFTER it had warmed up, you would think nothing was wrong.

Tags:
@[email protected] @Fuxalt @XRJoe @FordService @[email protected] @[email protected] @[email protected] @EdgeAutosport.com @gringoloco @jdub1981 @Ocysp @[email protected] @Silver_Shooter @ST_Fan @[email protected] @COBB @go46balls @ST3 4 me @ddfred @Lou64 @SIstomper @Gh0st @rader1 @Unfitproduct @SiThlord @ms3blackmica @Jseams @DCRyan @[email protected] @kwiksilvr
That is AWESOME to know, thank you!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Drone is not bad. About the same as someone with a $1000 exhaust. I'm able to have conversations with people easily. Wind noise is louder...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the 2.5" straight pipe too. Less drone than when I had a Magnaflow in there, that was god awful in the cabin and fairly quiet outside.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts