Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
So I haven't done the green filter or a "CAI" on the ST. However I do remember when I put a "CAI" on my '12 WRX, I had no clue you would be able to hear the turbo. It was great!!!! Where did y'all get the green filters?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got mine from Amazon since I could 2 day it. It makes a little difference, but not much. My next mod will probably be a sound composer delete since it's cheap and then I can hear more turbo and less engine noise. I love this car, but I also don't want to mess it up. I think it has plenty of power to go to work, pick up the kids and then go home. The only mods I want to do is to improve fuel efficiency. for some reason this thing isn't getting great gas MPG on the highway, but maybe it's because AZ traffic is usually at 75. I do want to get a bigger inner cooler for our 120 degree days here, but since those just finished I am in no rush.

·
Registered
233 Posts
"for some reason this thing isn't getting great gas MPG on the highway, but maybe it's because AZ traffic is usually at 75."

Yeah, it could easily be the heat. What MPG are you getting? I'm in a lot cooler Upstate NY and it never varies from 31 to 33 highway.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
"for some reason this thing isn't getting great gas MPG on the highway, but maybe it's because AZ traffic is usually at 75."

Yeah, it could easily be the heat. What MPG are you getting? I'm in a lot cooler Upstate NY and it never varies from 31 to 33 highway.
He might have meant the speed, not the temp. I travel at 80mph the whole way to and back from work and only get 22mpg with 80% highway 62 miles round trip

·
Registered
482 Posts

I've only ever gotten worse mpg in cold weather, not hot.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Part of me wants to go back to the green filter, but I am running the AEM Dryflow right now. I am also hesitant to put in a BOV because I don't trust dealers in case of repairs.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Part of me wants to go back to the green filter, but I am running the AEM Dryflow right now. I am also hesitant to put in a BOV because I don't trust dealers in case of repairs.
Honestly the added benefit of ease of cleaning vs the negligible amount of filtering difference makes the AEM better.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Honestly the added benefit of ease of cleaning vs the negligible amount of filtering difference makes the AEM better.
Those are my thoughts. I just miss having more turbo noise haha.

Sent from Hoth Rebel Base

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
125 Posts
I wish I heard ANY kind of turbo noise from my car in stock form - just a little whistle to know it is there is all I ask. At work, we have a pretty new Ford Expedition with a an EcoBoost V6. I was surprised you could hear the turbo spooling up in that turd with the windows down. Also, you could hear the K04 turbo whistle subtly in my stock Audi TT 225. This car is just so freakin' quiet. Maybe I'll go the green filter route...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I wish I heard ANY kind of turbo noise from my car in stock form - just a little whistle to know it is there is all I ask. At work, we have a pretty new Ford Expedition with a an EcoBoost V6. I was surprised you could hear the turbo spooling up in that turd with the windows down. Also, you could hear the K04 turbo whistle subtly in my stock Audi TT 225. This car is just so freakin' quiet. Maybe I'll go the green filter route...
Well, our car has a pretty filtered exhaust and small diameter tubing also. The Expedition has bigger piping for the bigger motor, which might explain it because it isn't dampening the sound as much. The Audi has a KO4 in it, so the bigger turbo is probably to blame there also coupled with bigger piping to compensate for the bigger turbo.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah, probably not the most fair comparison on my part. I do love my ST though, and it seems there are plenty of options out there to hear a little from the turbo if desired.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Yes.

I drive a 1.6 ecoboost Escape at work and it makes tons of turbo sounds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts