Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am currently living in Lubbock but my car is registered in Fort Bend county as I used to live in Houston before moving to Lubbock for college 4 years ago. Does anyone know if I can get my car inspected in Lubbock county instead of having to drive 16 hours round trip just to inspect it in Fort Bend county? In the past I went back home for the summer but this time I am staying here and doing 2 classes to finish up my degree, so I can't just swing by and get an inspection. My inspection/registration is up for renewal next month, 6/17 is the date on the sticker, which is right when I have classes which means I can't head down to Houston at all really. What should I do?

·
Registered
882 Posts
So I don't live in TX but do know people there and I reached out to them. They pretty much said that it "shouldn't" matter about the county as it's a State inspection. This would make sense to me also. Can you call or swing by the local inspection station and ask?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I don't live in TX but do know people there and I reached out to them. They pretty much said that it "shouldn't" matter about the county as it's a State inspection. This would make sense to me also. Can you call or swing by the local inspection station and ask?
I have heard different things from 2 people who used to do inspections. One said I just need to fill out a form and it will be ok, the other said it wasn't legal as Lubbock doesn't perform emissions testing, while Fort Bend does. I can drop by a station tomorrow, but in general most inspectors don't know much about the laws for this kind of thing, most don't care enough to know. I really wanted to know if someone had anything that should one way or the other for certain as I can't tell which is the truth.

·
Registered
395 Posts
you are able to get it inspected out of county but they have to inspect is based off the registered county. If the car is registered in a emissions checking county, you can't get out of that by going to another county to get it inspected.

I looked into this when I was away for college, however I was only about an hour away and didn't want to deal with the hassle of paper work. Just did it on the next trip home.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you are able to get it inspected out of county but they have to inspect is based off the registered county. If the car is registered in a emissions checking county, you can't get out of that by going to another county to get it inspected.

I looked into this when I was away for college, however I was only about an hour away and didn't want to deal with the hassle of paper work. Just did it on the next trip home.
I know I can't get out of emissions testing, but am I able to get the inspection done in a non-emissions county if I can't make it to Houston before it expires?

·
Registered
395 Posts
yes you are, they have a process for people who travel for work / students

I don't know it but I had looked into it before for others who couldn't make it back to CC for months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a car registered in Houston (Harris County) while living in San Angelo, TX. They made me sign a form stating I would get emissions tested immediately after returning the vehicle to Harris County.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes you are, they have a process for people who travel for work / students

I don't know it but I had looked into it before for others who couldn't make it back to CC for months.
Do inspection places provide the paperwork or do I need to provide it? If the latter, can you find a link? I have been searching and nothing has come up to help me yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally found the relevant statute.

Affidavit (Texas Department of Public Safety Form VIE-12): An owner of a vehicle registered in Brazoria, Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, El Paso, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Johnson, Kaufman, Montgomery, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, Travis, and Williamson Counties may obtain a VIE-12 and have a vehicle safety inspection completed in a county where the emissions inspection is not required if one of the following conditions is true:

the vehicle will not be primarily operated (driven, parked, or stored less than 60 days per year) in one of the affected counties listed above (examples: certain company fleet vehicles, hunting vehicles);
the vehicle will no longer be primarily operated for 60 calendar days per inspection cycle in one of the counties listed above (example: someone who moved from an affected county);
the vehicle will not return to an affected county prior to the expiration of the current vehicle registration sticker (example: student, vacationer, extended out-of-town business); or
the vehicle is inoperable and will not be operated in an affected county.

·
Registered
395 Posts
548.3012. Exemption: Vehicle Not Used Primarily in County of Registration

(a) This section applies only to a vehicle that:

(1) is to be registered in a county with a motor vehicle emissions
inspection and maintenance program; and

(2) will be used in that county for fewer than 60 days during the
registration period for which registration is sought.

(b) The owner of a vehicle described by Subsection (a) may obtain for that vehicle an exemption from the vehicle emissions test requirements of this subchapter by submitting to the county assessor-collector an affidavit stating that the named vehicle will be used in the county of registration for fewer than 60 calendar days during the registration period for which registration is sought.

·
Registered
395 Posts
worst case, drive to the closest emissions regulated county and have it inspected there

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finally found the relevant statute.
Thank you so much!!! Now when I go to get it inspected I know what to get and can tell if they are bull****ting me.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
worst case, drive to the closest emissions regulated county and have it inspected there
Ironically that drive is about the same distance as the drive to Houston...The next closest is the Dallas area which is barely closer (still a 12 or so hour round trip)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts