Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local dealer offered to sell me a '17 1LT Corvette in Artic White 7spd, NPP exhaust for $50K OTD. No incentives required, tax, tags included. Came down from $55K. Car had 16 mi on it.

Great price so I test drove it and kind of missed having a V8. Great engine and handling, but I passed on it for 2 reasons.

1-Power. I could hardly tell any difference in acceleration vs the Camaro 1SS I also test drove. Vette seemed to handle better but it's still a big wide thing. But the power felt identical to the '17 1 SS I test drove.

2-Shifter. I found the shifter in the Vette to be OK at best. It's notchy and seems to be wound too tight like it wants to snap out of gear. 6th and 7th gear are almost useless. The shifter in the 1SS Camaro was much smoother and fun. The shifter in my Focus ST felt like a dream in comparison. Clutch engagement in the Vette felt weird too...like it catches only all the way at the bottom.

I'm guessing I'd get used to the shifter and clutch over time. But I'd rather save over $10K and get a 1SS manual if I was going the Chevy route. But the discounts on the Camaro right now are weak.

Anyway hopped back in my ST and drove home with no regrets.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
My local dealer offered to sell me a '17 1LT Corvette in Artic White 7spd, NPP exhaust for $50K OTD. No incentives required, tax, tags included. Came down from $55K. Car had 16 mi on it.

Great price so I test drove it and kind of missed having a V8. Great engine and handling, but I passed on it for 2 reasons.

1-Power. I could hardly tell any difference in acceleration vs the Camaro 1SS I also test drove. Vette seemed to handle better but it's still a big wide thing. But the power felt identical to the '17 1 SS I test drove.

2-Shifter. I found the shifter in the Vette to be OK at best. It's notchy and seems to be wound too tight like it wants to snap out of gear. 6th and 7th gear are almost useless. The shifter in the 1SS Camaro was much smoother and fun. The shifter in my Focus ST felt like a dream in comparison. Clutch engagement in the Vette felt weird too...like it catches only all the way at the bottom.

I'm guessing I'd get used to the shifter and clutch over time. But I'd rather save over $10K and get a 1SS manual if I was going the Chevy route. But the discounts on the Camaro right now are weak.

Anyway hopped back in my ST and drove home with no regrets.
C7s are undoubtably awesome and mean cars, that said...the shifter I've heard a ton of people call dog sh_t. I've only heard one person say about the clutch being odd, but he replaced it almost immediately. I'd probably take the C7 if money weren't an option here of course, but it's awesome to see people take the side of the ST. :cool: thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
This is not too surprising since they both have the same engine(LT1) and the Camaro's heavier weight is offset by the Corvette's slightly taller gears, the lighter vette is geared to go faster and the Camaro is geared to have better acceleration.

6th and 7th gear are almost useless.
Correct, with those triple overdrive Tremecs, the ultra low overdrives are there just for fuel millage. Feels kinda weird to be cruising down the hwy at about 2/3 or less what the ST does down the Hwy (I really don't understand why our 6th gear is so short, I don't care for how fast the engine is turning just blasting down the hwy with the cruise on...)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You think 6th in the ST is to talk or too short?
I find it tall. I don’t use 6th unless I’m going at least 75-80

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I wish at hwy speeds the RPMs were at least a few hundred less in 6th gear.

1st through 4th are fine and all you would ever normally need for acceleration. I find it a little unusual for 5th and 6th to still be so close to each other. They could have just left out 5th gear and had the 6th gear ratio be 5th with a 5 speed. 6th should be lower so once your up to speed you can drop in down into super overdrive and just cruise.

If 6th gear were any shorter, cruising down the hwy would be like driving a Mustang with a 4:10 rear end with the motor just screaming and getting 10MPG

I wish our 6th gear was closer to an equivalent of .50 instead of its .68 equivalent.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I will undoubtedly be in the same position as you, but I've already committed that I won't go any higher than a c6. Tons of guys on the vette forums buy c5z's with low mileage with low percentage loans. I mean a used c5z isn't much more of a payment than the ST is at this point.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I wish at hwy speeds the RPMs were at least a few hundred less in 6th gear.

1st through 4th are fine and all you would ever normally need for acceleration. I find it a little unusual for 5th and 6th to still be so close to each other. They could have just left out 5th gear and had the 6th gear ratio be 5th with a 5 speed. 6th should be lower so once your up to speed you can drop in down into super overdrive and just cruise.

If 6th gear were any shorter, cruising down the hwy would be like driving a Mustang with a 4:10 rear end with the motor just screaming and getting 10MPG

I wish our 6th gear was closer to an equivalent of .50 instead of its .68 equivalent.

I find that while I cruise at 80 often...and I also wish the rpm was lower than it is (it's like 3k at 80..that's nuts...at 80 the C7 vette is at like 1600 or something like that in 7th) HOWEVER, in 6th even at 3k having a turbo car any bit of gas you give it at all tries to build boost...so I think that's why they did it the way they did. It just isn't a comfortable cruising car at those speeds. 60 is fine since you can save gas in 6th at 2k and downshift to accelerate, but at 80 even slightly touching the throttle the car is like 'okay boost time lets go' and I hate building even 1psi of boost in 6th lol

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
but at 80 even slightly touching the throttle the car is like 'okay boost time lets go' and I hate building even 1psi of boost in 6th lol
That's fine, over 3k rpm there is nothing wrong with making a few pounds of boost, just don't need to go hog wild yet. The problem is that 6th still has too much power and it's easy to accelerate without down shifting and I know there are tons of people who instead of down shifting will just floor it (even when not at hwy speeds)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I disagree. I love 6th and the fact that I can get some power out of it. Not much but some. It stills feel like an overdrive to me. It 75-80 in 6th was under 3k rpm, I wouldn’t be happy.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I guess I disagree. I love 6th and the fact that I can get some power out of it. Not much but some. It stills feel like an overdrive to me. It 75-80 in 6th was under 3k rpm, I wouldn’t be happy.
With me spending $300 a month in gas commuting to work, I want my overdrive gear to actually be an overdrive gear...and 5th to be a little less overdrive feeling. If that makes sense. A more spirited 5th gear and a more mpg efficient 6th would be okay with me. How often does anyone drive spirited enough to shift out of 5th gear anyway lol 6th is purely for cruising and saving gas for me

·
Registered
704 Posts
I agree that 6th is a little short and it's probably due to being taller would put more of a load under acceleration, building boost quicker at even lower rpms than current 6th to the detriment of the transmission. For reference, my 1990 Subaru Legacy 5-speed had a slightly taller top gear than the ST and that was with 130 hp (though, it seemed underrated) and it never felt strained by being too tall. To add to the argument, the normally aspirated model like mine was originally had a 3.7 FD, while the manual AWDs had 3.9 FD, including the turbo which also had a (too) small turbo that boosted quickly, making me think it had the shorter FD to reduce transmission stress. Could be it was to keep it the same as the N/A AWDs, but the turbo's transmissions ran more robust gears and a different clutch setup, so wasn't the same, anyway.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Long story short, if you are accelerating in 6th (or 7th if you have it) gear, then your doing it wrong!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I told myself I'd get used to the clutch/shifter feel in my old 996. Shifted like a semi. What I got used to was the idea of freeing up garage space, which I did last spring.

·
Vendor
591 Posts
owned a c6z06 that made 600 whp and a 2013 base c6 un modded. I test drove c7, c7 z51, and c7z06 I don't like them. Just throw a gtx3071r on your ST and push 600 whp on a built motor and you'll be much faster :)

·
Vendor
591 Posts
Maybe in a straight line...

I can promise you a cammed c6z06 is only good in a straight line. C7 may be different, but c6 is no track car. Z06 gets pretty sketchy even with 345 mpss i had on it.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The C7-Z06 is a complete monster on the track. Bone stock the only cars that can keep up with it are generally at least twice the price (aside from maybe the ZL1-1LE)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Doesn't matter at this point. I hated the C7 shifter for the most part and the gearing. Found a 'mint 2015 Mustang GP PP, lowered, Whipple supercharged, aftermarket exhaust with only 5500 miles. Drives like a dream even though it's one mean machine (that rhymed lol). And almost $20K less than the bast Vette.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Doesn't matter at this point. I hated the C7 shifter for the most part and the gearing. Found a 'mint 2015 Mustang GP PP, lowered, Whipple supercharged, aftermarket exhaust with only 5500 miles. Drives like a dream even though it's one mean machine (that rhymed lol). And almost $20K less than the bast Vette.
That's hot. I wouldn't be mad

1 - 20 of 23 Posts