Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new to these forums , don't know if this is the correct spot for this but I do have a question or two so moderators I apologize

As the title says I test drove a FoST the other day
This one to be exact , link here

A little overpriced but they've had the car on their lot apparently for quite some time so I think ill be able to cut a deal , any way during my test drive I gave it some reasonable pulls on the accelerator without the sales man getting to questionable. I noticed the car (according to my butt dyno) feels way underpowered , especially in the torque department , compared to the car I'd be trading in
So here's the questions
What's the max output of these cars after every bolt on and getting a tune ?
By bolt ons that I would think intake, turbo back exhaust , full intercooler set up , etc.
Other than that I'm curious about reliability
I also drove a FiST earlier in the day which was slow compared the FoST but it had a certain fun factor about it and I've read the 1.6L in the little fiesta is pretty reliable aside from normal maintenance and the rear motor mount

Also if your wondering what I drive at the moment it's a 2008 stage 2 gti W/DSG
Turbo back (including a catless DP) , throttle pipe , air charge pipe and intake , also obviously a stage 2 tune

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hi new to these forums , don't know if this is the correct spot for this but I do have a question or two so moderators I apologize

A little overpriced but they've had the car on their lot apparently for quite some time so I think ill be able to cut a deal , any way during my test drive I gave it some reasonable pulls on the accelerator without the sales man getting to questionable. I noticed the car (according to my butt dyno) feels way underpowered , especially in the torque department , compared to the car I'd be trading in
So here's the questions
What's the max output of these cars after every bolt on and getting a tune ?
By bolt ons that I would think intake, turbo back exhaust , full intercooler set up , etc.
Other than that I'm curious about reliability
I also drove a FiST earlier in the day which was slow compared the FoST but it had a certain fun factor about it and I've read the 1.6L in the little fiesta is pretty reliable aside from normal maintenance and the rear motor mount

Also if your wondering what I drive at the moment it's a 2008 stage 2 gti W/DSG
Turbo back (including a catless DP) , throttle pipe , air charge pipe and intake , also obviously a stage 2 tune
You should be able to get 2016 ST1 for not much more than that. As soon as they start releasing them that is :big smile:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have found a few 2015 in my area for 23k+ brand new cars , but it's out of my range , the deal at the end needs to sit at 15k and a decent Apr for my wife not go insane ..she's already not to happy that I want a new car lol

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Because of the 'overboost' function and the way the throttle is set up, there's a pretty sizeable difference between "reasonable pulls" and matting the gas pedal in these cars.

It still may not be quick enough for you, but there's a difference.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Stage 2 gti is not terribly fast either but neither is the fost. About 270-290whp full bolt ons and e30

Reactions: kennyfresh

·
Registered
207 Posts
Why are you comparing a stage 2 2500 pound car to a stock 3000 pound car? Im not sure you're going to find too many other people who feel the car is underpowered for the price with the quality of materials used on the interior too.

Anyway stock the ST makes 252hp and 270 ft lbs. Tuners are starting to get over 500 whp from these with full bolts and e85. You have to start with a tune otherwise any parts you put on won't do any good because of the way the ecu will recalibrate.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Tuners are starting to get over 500 whp from these with full bolts and e85.
Lets be real, 500whp is with a big turbo (bigger than most normal big turbo setups), internals, and other supporting mods like WMI or aux fueling, not just regular bolt ons.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Does that car have a quick release on the bumper? If it does, I probably wouldn't touch that particular one used. No telling what the original owner did to the car (or why he/she felt the need to install those). I have no idea why you would put quick releases on the bumper. The bumper comes off pretty easily.

Reactions: the_moondragon

·
Registered
207 Posts
Lets be real, 500whp is with a big turbo (bigger than most normal big turbo setups), internals, and other supporting mods like WMI or aux fueling, not just regular bolt ons.
Good point. Still Panda has done over 300 whp and 400 ft lbs on the stock turbo.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm comparing the two cause that's the only car I drive to give it a comparison.. I understand neither are pretty fast but after a tune and some bolt ons I expect to be able to beat stuff..
Is it possible to beat speed3s and g35s on the expressway? Cause I've done it in my gti and that's what's around me. That and the occasional camaro and mustang

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does that car have a quick release on the bumper? If it does, I probably wouldn't touch that particular one used. No telling what the original owner did to the car (or why he/she felt the need to install those). I have no idea why you would put quick releases on the bumper. The bumper comes off pretty easily.
It had some silver things drilled into the bumper, I personally didn't know what they did but it looked dumb to me. The sales manager had told me when he came out that he'd be able to get holes filled and painted if I ended up purchasing but he's a salesman so I take his word with a grain of salt.
Anyway I'm going back to this dealer strictly to see what the value they'll give me for my gti since it's over 100k and other dealers may low ball me , its good to know what I could get at a vw dealer

·
Registered
221 Posts
They def are quick releases. You know, for all the FWD drifting...

·
Registered
100 Posts
well ms3 is a similar platform as the FoST so both full bolt ons and e30 they should be even or the ms3 being slightly ahead since it has a bigger motor and slightly bigger turbo. g35s are not fast at all so you should beat those. unless u r racing stock ms3s then your gti shouldn't be able to beat a bolted one unless its a bad driver/****ty car in which case the FoSt should beat it also :) If you want a fast car for cheap money you can get a 2009 or 2010 ms3 for less than the FoST.

Reactions: the_moondragon

·
Registered
629 Posts
brand new ST for 15k? good luck. cant even get a regular focus for that much

you MIGHT be able to find an ST for 15k but it'll have a lot of miles on it.

these are not straight line cars. made for having fun turning.

full bolt on, intercooler, turboback, (intake does nothing), tune with e30 fuel blend, you're seeing around 280whp and 370-380wtq. 93 octane is about 270whp and 360-370tq

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The dealer who has this ST1 may not have 93 in it. May be 87 which will lower the stock HP down - how much I'm not 100% sure. I know on the 2.3 ecoboost it's fairly significant. BTW - I agree the price is high for a '13 ST1 w/ that kind of miles. Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's more to cars than 'beating' other cars. The FoST is a really nice car for the money. That being said, the one you're looking at is overpriced.
Well I've been seriously thinking it over , the speed isn't the only deciding factor but I still have the speed bug when it comes to cars , and I needed something big enough for my family and still fun to drive. Ms3s imo are ugly and over rated although I could get one cheaper its not worth it

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just as a heads up atm I have no intentions on purchasing the one I linked to , the fact that at that price point I could get an st3 with similar miles , I want the recaros and that doesn't have it.
Just curious as to what id get for a trade in at vw dealer so I could use it as leverage when I go to check out other used options

Just curious what would be a good price point that I could realistically shoot for on something like this one

Link

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is my 15 ST3 i purchased it brand new with ford A plan for 28k that was a year ago. I have don't nothing but delete the muffler and get a Cobb AP with stratified tune for 93 and e85 blend making e30. I have had a lot of fun and have yet to find a golf to give me any kinda competition. The ST is a fun car and lots of room for mods.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
Like others have said, don't get hung up on who is quicker than you. There will always be someone quicker than you. I came from a 2007 Mazdaspeed3 that was 276whp and 350wtq at Stage 1+. It will walk most, if not all fully bolted ST's. I was able to beat most ST's I came up against.

The reason I went with my 2016 ST is because it is a MUCH nicer car, drives better and is WAY better on gas. My car was lucky to get better than 20mpg. That was if I took it easy. Some guys say they can get 30mpg on their MS3's, but I don't believe them ahah

1 - 20 of 39 Posts