Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Backround: I'm 47. Had a '17 Camaro 1SS manual. It had a failed water pump within 50 miles and then was "fixed" by the dealer, only to fail again instantly. The dealer offered a full refund on the car and I took it. And I know all cars have issues but on Camaro6.com, there are more quality control issues than I've ever seen on a new car in my life. I loved the Camaro for what it was but I don't think I'd plunk down another $35K on one with all the reliability woes.

So test drove some Mustang GTs. I preferred the PP to all of them and they are taking almost $7K off MSRP so roughly $30,xxx for the one I drove (base + Perform Package). I liked the car overall but I did notice that unlike the Camaro the Mustang felt sort of tame down low. It screamed once past 4K RPM or so but before that I was like.........this is a V8? I also wasn't fond of the cloth seats. I'd probably get used to them but they seemed like they were stabbing in the back.

So then I test drove a new Focust ST. Have to say I was impressed. Love the growl, torque, shifter, handling. Stock cloth seats were fine as well. I hit it pretty hard trying to get wild torque steer but honestly I didn't feel that much. Yes I had to hold the wheel during very hard acceleration but no death grip or anything. Considering the dealer was going to sell me the Focus ST1 for $20K even, that's $10K less than the Mustang PP. Not exactly chump change. And $20K new for this car (maybe I could get a little lower) is seriously a bargain I think. I dig the looks of the ST as well.

ST would be a 2nd car as I'm keeping my '14 Jetta 1.8 auto, as I need to lend it out for part of the year to my parents. But it's tempting. If the GT had the shove you in the back torque, I may have gone Mustang. And the Challenger Scat Packs are just too big IMO. The Kona Blue ST is very tempting :) I don't "need" it but it's seriously bargain performance!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Depending on where you live a focus st is hard to turn down , if you have very mild winters you may have a tough time picking one over the other. I love my st in the winter.....I live in northern Illinois so we see our fair share of snow ice and sleet , and I feel a mustang would sit in the garage costing money all winter....

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Backround: I'm 47. Had a '17 Camaro 1SS manual. It had a failed water pump within 50 miles and then was "fixed" by the dealer, only to fail again instantly. The dealer offered a full refund on the car and I took it. And I know all cars have issues but on Camaro6.com, there are more quality control issues than I've ever seen on a new car in my life. I loved the Camaro for what it was but I don't think I'd plunk down another $35K on one with all the reliability woes.

So test drove some Mustang GTs. I preferred the PP to all of them and they are taking almost $7K off MSRP so roughly $30,xxx for the one I drove (base + Perform Package). I liked the car overall but I did notice that unlike the Camaro the Mustang felt sort of tame down low. It screamed once past 4K RPM or so but before that I was like.........this is a V8? I also wasn't fond of the cloth seats. I'd probably get used to them but they seemed like they were stabbing in the back.

So then I test drove a new Focust ST. Have to say I was impressed. Love the growl, torque, shifter, handling. Stock cloth seats were fine as well. I hit it pretty hard trying to get wild torque steer but honestly I didn't feel that much. Yes I had to hold the wheel during very hard acceleration but no death grip or anything. Considering the dealer was going to sell me the Focus ST1 for $20K even, that's $10K less than the Mustang PP. Not exactly chump change. And $20K new for this car (maybe I could get a little lower) is seriously a bargain I think. I dig the looks of the ST as well.

ST would be a 2nd car as I'm keeping my '14 Jetta 1.8 auto, as I need to lend it out for part of the year to my parents. But it's tempting. If the GT had the shove you in the back torque, I may have gone Mustang. And the Challenger Scat Packs are just too big IMO. The Kona Blue ST is very tempting :) I don't "need" it but it's seriously bargain performance!
It's a ton of performance value for your money, I think anyone will agree there. You get a lot of car and a lot of fun and potential for a small price tag. Now keep in mind if you're into modding you can definitely get the Mustang to throw you back harder, and way harder than the ST. Plus it's RWD. However, if you pride yourself in taking turns fast instead of going in a straight line fast then the ST is the perfect car for you.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a ton of performance value for your money, I think anyone will agree there. You get a lot of car and a lot of fun and potential for a small price tag. Now keep in mind if you're into modding you can definitely get the Mustang to throw you back harder, and way harder than the ST. Plus it's RWD. However, if you pride yourself in taking turns fast instead of going in a straight line fast then the ST is the perfect car for you.
The only mods that will put you back in your seat on the Mustang as far as low end torque is a Super Charger and that's far from cheap. And the ST goes plenty fast in a straight line for the streets. I have an '05 ZX3 auto and compared to that it does. LOL. I love my little ZX3 though.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Great color choice if you get the ST... I have had mine for a little over a month and love it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
The only mods that will put you back in your seat on the Mustang as far as low end torque is a Super Charger and that's far from cheap. And the ST goes plenty fast in a straight line for the streets. I have an '05 ZX3 auto and compared to that it does. LOL. I love my little ZX3 though.
Not true, they have some other options available like this one: https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-performance-power-pack-upgrade-stage-1-gt-2015-2017/p/M9603M8/

Adds 40ft/lb of torque as early as 1500 rpm That's a decent jump in torque. For only $500. There are other options out there also to add more like the obvious bolt ons. I'm in no way trying to swing you from the ST as I absolutely love my ST and with $1,300 into it I'm dynoing ~265hp and 360ft/lb torque in my ST on 93...so I'm plenty enjoying my ST and it does alright for me and what I use it for. However some people expect to go fast in a straight line once they get it and get disappointed by the FWD. Just making sure you don't have any buyers remorse. :) If you get the ST you'll absolutely love it to death if you aren't expecting lightning off the line speed. And our wonderful forum will welcome you with open arms!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not true, they have some other options available like this one: https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-performance-power-pack-upgrade-stage-1-gt-2015-2017/p/M9603M8/

Adds 40ft/lb of torque as early as 1500 rpm That's a decent jump in torque. For only $500. There are other options out there also to add more like the obvious bolt ons. I'm in no way trying to swing you from the ST as I absolutely love my ST and with $1,300 into it I'm dynoing ~265hp and 360ft/lb torque in my ST on 93...so I'm plenty enjoying my ST and it does alright for me and what I use it for. However some people expect to go fast in a straight line once they get it and get disappointed by the FWD. Just making sure you don't have any buyers remorse. :) If you get the ST you'll absolutely love it to death if you aren't expecting lightning off the line speed. And our wonderful forum will welcome you with open arms!
That Stage 1 performance pack is a universal joke on the Mustang6g forum. $500 for an air filter basically. It's shows no difference. None of the "performance packs" do anything for low end. Stage 2 supposedly add 10%. A blower is the only way you'll get a Mustang to feel like a Camaro on the low end.

I would think power upgrades on the ST without an LSD would just accentuate the torque steer?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
That Stage 1 performance pack is a universal joke on the Mustang6g forum. $500 for an air filter basically. It's shows no difference. None of the "performance packs" do anything for low end. Stage 2 supposedly add 10%. A blower is the only way you'll get a Mustang to feel like a Camaro on the low end.

I would think power upgrades on the ST without an LSD would just accentuate the torque steer?
Well, the torque steer on the ST is definitely manageable compared to other cars (SRT4/Mazdaspeed3) however, @TB Performance Products and another company makes a front traction bar for like $120 or so bucks that helps a ton, plus better tires, upgraded Rear Motor Mount (which you should get anyway), and other suspension work if you choose will all help a ton to get rid of it almost entirely.

Really though, even if I'm coming out of a corner at 40 and I lay into it and it tries getting squirrely, if you can drive well you can keep it from letting loose. Let your uncle or whoever drive it though..and it scares the S___ out of them :lol:

Edit: As far as the power pack thing, my bad then. Wasn't aware of that. Screw that.

Traction bar: http://tbperformanceproducts.com/Products.php#!/Traction-Bar™/p/77034542/category=21924901

One of the best mods for this car ^

However, the LSD is still probably the single best mod to get to help a ton with traction. Several members on here have it done and it's a world of difference and totally finishes the car. Should have had one from the factory, but FoMoCo and their stupid ideas.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wouldn't mod the ST at all if I bought it. Maybe the traction bar but that's it. The whole point of buying is the bang for the buck. If I were start adding upgrades to help torque steer, I'd just get a GTI and be done with it. A new manual S near me is under $22K.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I wouldn't mod the ST at all if I bought it. Maybe the traction bar but that's it. The whole point of buying is the bang for the buck. If I were start adding upgrades to help torque steer, I'd just get a GTI and be done with it. A new manual S near me is under $22K.
Traction bar and rear motor mount and better tires all would fix your problems and you'd have no problems with warranty or anything, that's definitely the route I would go my man! (I'm assuming man, but if not I'm sorry!)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is the rear motor mount really a necessity? I sure as hell wouldn't install that myself. New tires, mount, bar would easily be $1K or more with installation too.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Is the rear motor mount really a necessity? I sure as hell wouldn't install that myself. New tires, mount, bar would easily be $1K or more with installation too.
The bar and the mount are easy peazy if you can work a wrench and torque wrench. Jack the car up properly and get under there and go to work and both can be done in like an hour I'm sure.

Here is the write up for the RMM install: http://www.focusst.org/forum/edge-autosport/3044-cp-e-rear-motor-mount-installation-write-up.html

Bar install is also easy, lift the car and put the bar in place, then lower it so the weight is on the tires before torqueing the bolts down properly the whole way and done. Easy peazy.

Tires & mounting...well that depends on local shops. I can get all 4 of mine mounted and balanced $5 per tire at a local shop but I don't live near a city

Edit: As far as the mount being necessary, no. Technically it isn't. However most of us agree here that it should be, if you launch the car hard you'll hear the motor slam going from 1st to 2nd some times...which sucks. Plus the stock motor mount allows for some more wheel hop than I would prefer myself. A new mount definitely helps stiffen things up and stabilizes the car a bunch. @UnfocusedST is a common advocate for the CP-E Stage 2. It's a crowd favorite here. I agree, it's a great mount. I have the @Boomba Racing mount as it was installed when I first got my car and I love mine also. It's slightly less stiff than the CP-E.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
The bar and the mount are easy peazy if you can work a wrench and torque wrench. Jack the car up properly and get under there and go to work and both can be done in like an hour I'm sure.

Here is the write up for the RMM install: http://www.focusst.org/forum/edge-autosport/3044-cp-e-rear-motor-mount-installation-write-up.html

Bar install is also easy, lift the car and put the bar in place, then lower it so the weight is on the tires before torqueing the bolts down properly the whole way and done. Easy peazy.

Tires & mounting...well that depends on local shops. I can get all 4 of mine mounted and balanced $5 per tire at a local shop but I don't live near a city

Edit: As far as the mount being necessary, no. Technically it isn't. However most of us agree here that it should be, if you launch the car hard you'll hear the motor slam going from 1st to 2nd some times...which sucks. Plus the stock motor mount allows for some more wheel hop than I would prefer myself. A new mount definitely helps stiffen things up and stabilizes the car a bunch. @UnfocusedST is a common advocate for the CP-E Stage 2. It's a crowd favorite here. I agree, it's a great mount. I have the @Boomba Racing mount as it was installed when I first got my car and I love mine also. It's slightly less stiff than the CP-E.
Yup, I'm definitely no mechanic, but I was able to crawl my old fat arse under the car and do them myself. Along with a downpipe, catback, and intercooler. This car is fairly easy to work on (so far).

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Yup, I'm definitely no mechanic, but I was able to crawl my old fat arse under the car and do them myself. Along with a downpipe, catback, and intercooler. This car is fairly easy to work on (so far).
Same, I'm slim but I'm definitely not a mechanic and I'm quite limited on tools and still did it on the concrete on my back with borrowed tools. All my mods that weren't installed before I bought the car we did in my buddies garage

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah sounds like it's pretty simple. Athough I f$ck up everything I try to do on my cars and bikes unless it's an oil change, so I'd probably bag it and let someone else do it.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Yeah sounds like it's pretty simple. Athough I f$ck up everything I try to do on my cars and bikes unless it's an oil change, so I'd probably bag it and let someone else do it.
Whatever you feel comfortable with, the traction bar you could at least do if you didn't trust yourself with the RMM. If torque steer is your biggest worry then you're all set and can get an extremely manageable car with $300 in mods and maybe $50 in labor for the RMM install. Plus the tires if you upgrade them

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Almost everything for the st has a dozen good YouTube tutorials...... Save that install money for beer

It's true, this is how I did all my mods. Watch it on youtube. Installed done by CJ Pony Parts are great! The beer part is the most important part, if you bust a knuckle you care way less if you drank 5 beers before hand. Just don't get clumsy and drop the car on yourself

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a question for those of you who have installed the front traction bar.... How much of a pain in the ass was it to do the final torque ???? I was thinking it would probably be easy because I have to pull up on to 2x10 blocks to get my jack under the car to begin with....... I will say that the st is so stiff it creeps me out when I lift it

1 - 20 of 39 Posts