Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little teaser for now. After the YCW's and everything are on, I'll post up some pics. Probably coulda went a cheaper route with some RS parts, but I hate not having a balanced front/rear. Heck, at least even Dodge does a better job than Ford at putting matching front/rear calipers on their stuff! Oh well...we'll fix that.

Attachments

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Funny...I looked at the AP's, and Brembo GT's (and the RS peace meal option), AND Stop Tech. All offer pretty bad ass options............for the front ONLY! So aggravating. Baer doesn't offer anything for the Focus. Wilwood is the only one with a four corner option. This alone knocked everyone out of contention for first. And if you're not first....

If I'm being completely and truly honest, the Wilwood's were my favorite looking rotors and least favorite calipers. But, doing only the front and leaving the back the way it is (or any existing options that retained the stock caliper) coupled with a gorgeous front just wasn't an option for me.

And the Wilwood is an amazingly well thought out kit. There's no piecing anything together. Everything is there in one box and made to fit. Bravo. That fact carried a lot of weight too.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Funny...I looked at the AP's, and Brembo GT's (and the RS peace meal option), AND Stop Tech. All offer pretty bad ass options............for the front ONLY! So aggravating. Baer doesn't offer anything for the Focus. Wilwood is the only one with a four corner option. This alone knocked everyone out of contention for first. And if you're not first....

If I'm being completely and truly honest, the Wilwood's were my favorite looking rotors and least favorite calipers. But, doing only the front and leaving the back the way it is (or any existing options that retained the stock caliper) coupled with a gorgeous front just wasn't an option for me.

And the Wilwood is an amazingly well thought out kit. There's no piecing anything together. Everything is there in one box and made to fit. Bravo. That fact carried a lot of weight too.
Speaking of weight, is there a big difference with those vs stock? Look good though hopefully they feel good for you too!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Speaking of weight, is there a big difference with those vs stock? Look good though hopefully they feel good for you too!
HUGE. Both of these front calipers including pads combined weigh less that one stock caliper. The brake disc feel heavy, but still a bit of weight savings there as well being a two piece. That center hat for the brake disc weighs nothing as well, so the overall weight is less.

·
Registered
152 Posts
WOW!!!!!
These look really nice; if it's lighter than stock ST brakes I can't imagine how much lighter compared to the RS brakes. Initially I was set on these but the RS ones are a third of the cost here in Canada. Still thinking about adding the rear ones to balance the front to back braking but after I buy an LSD though.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
When properly designed, and the pisiton sizes are appropriately sized, you don't need a FR/RR set, other than for aesthetic reasons in many cases. You don't hear of folks overheating the rears on the track, or eating wheel bearings due to heat.

Often more pistons = means smaller pistons. But overall piston area compared to stock could be the same, or slightly less, often shifting brake bias rearward. Which if you think about it, is a good thing, as it can make straightline braking more of a planted feel, vs a front dive under hard braking.

The other benefit though to a true FR/RR kit, could be as simple as faster pad changes at the track.

Either way, you'll have something that can consistently perform better under temp, and look wicked cool too. Not to mention a very real added benefit of less unspring weight.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Ooooo, shiny! Can I touch?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts