Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd put some info up on the various kits I'm offering for the Focus.

PLUS 1: TCE Caliper kit for stock rotors: This one is for the budget minded buyer. We're taking tried and true Forged Billet Dyna Lite (FBD) and fitting it to the factory rotors. Simple four piston caliper swap with new calipers, pads, brackets and ss hoses. Standard will be black anodized. Optional powder coat finishes extra.

Forged_Dynalite-lg.jpg

PLUS 2: TCE 13" DP6 complete front kit. This kit uses a hybrid parts build of TCE parts and Wilwood calipers. The rotor is 13 x .810 and the caliper is the newer Dyna Pro 6 offering the lowest fit or maximum wheel clearance. Of the front kits it will be the lightest at roughly 45lbs.

Dynapro_Six_Lug_Mount_Red-lg.jpg

PLUS 3: TCE 13" Track Kit. Moving to a wider 1.10" wide casting the TCE 13" Forged Super Lite kit employs both fatter discs as well as the track proven FSL four piston caliper. The FSL carries full 20mm thick pads and is both cost effective and light weight. Note however that it takes up more room due to the caliper body size.

Forged_Superlite_Internal-lg[1].jpg

PLUS 4: First of the Wilwood factory kits this is a 12.88 x 1.10 rotor kit with radial mount Forged Narrow Super Lite 6 caliper. The kit fits 16mm pads and has a thinner profile than the P3 kit. The FNSL6 offers differential pressure points on the pads and comes with pre applied powder coat in red or black like the DP6.

Forged_Narrow_Superlite_6_Radial_Mt-lg.jpg

PLUS 5: The larger version of the P4 kit we move to 14" diameter rotors. All else is the same as the P4.

187.jpg

More on the rears later!!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
REAR Kit listings:

For the rear of your ST there are two options at this point.

PLUS 1: The TCE 12.2" Rear Rotor Kit- here the plan is simple; we fit a matching yet larger rotor to the rear of the car yet retain the factory parking brake. That means the rotor is solid, not vented, and your stock caliper fits as it does now. It's a tight fit but both the caliper and the parking brake cable work out fine. We first fit this set up on the 2012 car some years ago so its proven to fit both the standard and ST cars (as do the front kits). Kits include; matching TCE hats and rotors, brackets, hardware and ss hose kit.

12Rear4.jpg

PLUS 2: Going a bit larger we will offer the Wilwood factory 13" (12.88) Combo Caliper rear kit. This is a Wilwood factory kit comprised of a wider, vented .810" wide rotor and the "Combo" Hydro-mechanical caliper. This remains a single piston slider, radial mount caliper like your stock part. The kit comes with front matching hats and rotors, calipers, brackets, hardware and ss hose kit.

13COMBO.jpg

Two obvious questions arise: Which one is better and is there a four piston rear kit? (I've done this for a while)

1. Better is subjective. The added size of 12.88 vs 12.2 is minimal in rotor torque. The added width of the P2 does make this nice for the track day user. The P1 will cost less than half as much. The P2 comes with nice shiny calipers. In either case you'd ideally want to pair your purchase with your front kit. Right now I do not see TCE offering a "matching" rear rotor kit for the Wilwood fronts. I'd also suggest for brake bias reasons that 13/13 kits are probably not ideal, 13/12.2 and 14/13 would be the norm.

2. The reason we don't (yet) see a four pot rear kit is simple; loss of the parking brake. Had Ford gone "drum in disc" we'd have a winner for this set up. But being dual action calipers most folks will wish to retain that parking brake. Obviously...for the <1%ers who may truly want a dedicated track car we can talk about what it takes to do this. It's all very doable just not so marketable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
OK Todd,

I'm ready to pull the trigger on your plus 3 kit. PM me your best price for the kit, and a set of Poly-B pads to swap out for the track work. (Let's actually talk first to make sure you think B-compound will be good enough for my needs.) If it will help with the price I'll do a full write-up detailing the self-install on ST.org, as well as a performance report after my upcoming 2-day Trackdaze event on the Summit Point Shenandoah circuit in early October.

It looks like I'll be needing wheel spacers and studs too. Can you confirm that 10mm spacers will allow the calipers to clear the stock wheels? Can you also recommend a spacer for the ST that you would trust your life with? (If I die due to spacer or stud failure, I promise I won't sue you...I just value your opinion).

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
333 Posts
Any adverse effects to going with the plus 2 for front and rear being that the rear rotors end up being the same size as the fronts? Not sure how it effects balance.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Any adverse effects to going with the plus 2 for front and rear being that the rear rotors end up being the same size as the fronts? Not sure how it effects balance.
I have that setup on my ST and haven't noticed any front-rear balance problems.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK Todd,

I'm ready to pull the trigger on your plus 3 kit. PM me your best price for the kit, and a set of Poly-B pads to swap out for the track work. (Let's actually talk first to make sure you think B-compound will be good enough for my needs.) If it will help with the price I'll do a full write-up detailing the self-install on ST.org, as well as a performance report after my upcoming 2-day Trackdaze event on the Summit Point Shenandoah circuit in early October.

It looks like I'll be needing wheel spacers and studs too. Can you confirm that 10mm spacers will allow the calipers to clear the stock wheels? Can you also recommend a spacer for the ST that you would trust your life with? (If I die due to spacer or stud failure, I promise I won't sue you...I just value your opinion).

Thanks,

Dennis
You're looking at $1159 for the kit, $125 for the Poly B pads (list 144) plus shipping. To Washington....I'd say $55. Total $1339.

I think it's all in stock now to ship, but I'm still at home.

Poly B pads are a great place to start. If you run street tires the pads won't over power the tire, they are cost effective and have a pretty good life to them.

The spacer and stud needs I'm not totally sure on. Yes you will require aprox 10mm of spacer. I'd say probably closer to 8mm maybe but 10 would be more common. I don't offer the spacers and studs as there are shops that specialize in such things already. A couple of thoughts?

WheelAdapter.com is your number one source for wheel adapters, wheel spacers, used wheels, and wheel studs.

H&R TRAK+® Wheel Spacers | Products || H&R Special Springs, LP

I have not pulled a stud from the hub so I cannot give you a stud number. Long shot that it's the same knurl on the older four lug but we found some longer ones at NAPA that were a direct fit to those hubs years ago and worked well.

TC

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can run some numbers on it in the Bias Calculator and compare the 14/13 vs the 13/13 set ups Rob. As you'll see the 13/13 will show a bit more rear bias as expected. I wouldn't lose a ton of sleep over 4% change. Ideally the 13 rear would be paired with the 14 front of course.

The biggest deal however is going to be appearances. Because you're considering the mix of both TCE kits and Wilwood factory kits there's some difference in both rotor styles and hat designs. Honestly...as much as I'd like to sell you the TCE kit...I think you'd be better off with the 13" factory kit up front in for this reason. And it's going to be a bit less money also. The other thing is that you can change the 13" rotors to 14" if you want down the road. Something you cannot do with the DP6 based kit.

Dunno if that helped or not, but it's what I got.:haha:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK Todd,

Thanks,

Dennis
Verifying that I do have all the parts here for a kit Dennis. Including the B pads. Cans ship today.

Give me a call or email me and I'll send you an invoice.

480-967-7901
[email protected]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Verifying that I do have all the parts here for a kit Dennis. Including the B pads. Cans ship today.

Give me a call or email me and I'll send you an invoice.

480-967-7901
[email protected]
Todd,

I just sent you a payment via PayPal for the Plus 3 kit and some B-compound pads.

Please ship to my work address if possible, as a signature might be required. (just emailed my work address to: [email protected]

Thanks again for taking the time to help me figure out the kit that will best suit my needs, and I look forward to years of strong and fade-free stopping!

Dennis

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Todd,

I just sent you a payment via PayPal for the Plus 3 kit and some B-compound pads.

Please ship to my work address if possible, as a signature might be required. (just emailed my work address to: [email protected]

Thanks again for taking the time to help me figure out the kit that will best suit my needs, and I look forward to years of strong and fade-free stopping!

Dennis

On it. Should be leaving today. To the alternate address as requested.
Thank you!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Updated the FOCUS page to reflect the opportunity to purchase hose kits with 570 fluid and also rear only hoses (with or w/o fluid) to accompany the front Caliper Kits.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I know this is a crazy thread revival but any chance these 4 piston kits are still available? im searching everywhere!!!!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Sorry if I missed these questions. Been a busy month with other projects.

If by "the/these" four piston kits being referred to are the TCE/Wilwood Caliper Kits for the stock 13.1" rotor the answer is yes. Generally speaking if it's still on my web page its still a viable purchase. I confess that at some point it may go away due to slow volume but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Right now I'd put orders at 1-2wk lead time due to the holiday and a race weekend to attend.

*gave up on adding the image....here: LINKY

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts