Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the difference between the TB performance traction bar and the gusset? The gusset is significantly more money, and I can’t really seem to find what the difference is from reading around. Both of them say they reduce torque steer and wheel hop.

I assume the gusset is the more extreme option and it will improve wheel hop and torque steer more than the traction bar. But to what extent? I’m not able to tell if it’s worth the extra $100.

Has anyone driven both of them?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
A few have had both and hopefully they can chime in as well.

I had the "2 point" it was noticeable change in torque steer and wheel hop.

I now have the Pierce 6 point brace and it has noticeable less torque steer and less wheel hop as well as changing the turn-in, really the biggest difference to me was how quickly the turn in was, I only installed the 6 point and drove the car before and after the same road and I noticed right away those little changes.

I am sure the Gusset will be the same differences the 6 point is.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the Torque Gusset. Cant speak on the 2 point, but with the gusset and Mountune rmm, there is virtually no torque steer or wheel hop. With the Ford Performance tune now, there is a very slight bit of torque steer. I believe the 'torque steer' I am experiencing now (which is very minor) is just due to a lack of grip with the stock Pirellis. Where there is torque steer now, there is tire squealing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Torque Gusset. Cant speak on the 2 point, but with the gusset and Mountune rmm, there is virtually no torque steer or wheel hop. With the Ford Performance tune now, there is a very slight bit of torque steer. I believe the 'torque steer' I am experiencing now (which is very minor) is just due to a lack of grip with the stock Pirellis. Where there is torque steer now, there is tire squealing.
A few have had both and hopefully they can chime in as well.

I had the "2 point" it was noticeable change in torque steer and wheel hop.

I now have the Pierce 6 point brace and it has noticeable less torque steer and less wheel hop as well as changing the turn-in, really the biggest difference to me was how quickly the turn in was, I only installed the 6 point and drove the car before and after the same road and I noticed right away those little changes.

I am sure the Gusset will be the same differences the 6 point is.

So it sounds like the gusset or similar options reduce torque steer and wheel hop pretty significantly.

I would assume that it’s more than the two point

Nick, how significant was the change between the 2 point thank the 6 point?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I asked Danny (who owns TB Performance and builds all of the products) this exact question this weekend. He told me that the gusset includes the traction bar and adds the other two attachment points. I ordered one and it arrives tomorrow. All of his products are excellent.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
So it sounds like the gusset or similar options reduce torque steer and wheel hop pretty significantly.

I would assume that it’s more than the two point

Nick, how significant was the change between the 2 point thank the 6 point?

I would say it was minimal at best, sure it helped but I can't say I have any solid proof of why or how. LOL

It also depends on the level of driving you do? are you pushing the car to the point that you need that extra bracing?

I asked Danny (who owns TB Performance and builds all of the products) this exact question this weekend. He told me that the gusset includes the traction bar and adds the other two attachment points. I ordered one and it arrives tomorrow. All of his products are excellent.
you just stated the obvious, yes it is a 4 point brace. but the OP wants to know what does it do over a standard 2 point

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
How bad do you feel your car is suffering from tq steer? Is your car mostly stock or have you done mods that have increased tq or do you plan to? I have their two point and felt it helped some, my power band is up a little higher, so my tq steer before wasnt too bad

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I would say it was minimal at best, sure it helped but I can't say I have any solid proof of why or how. LOL

It also depends on the level of driving you do? are you pushing the car to the point that you need that extra bracing?

“Need” is a strong word , “I want it” is a more appropriate way of stating it.

My main desire is to be able to get off the line better, I was about to go putting money into tunes and engine upgrades but I decided to start off my making sure I can put power to the ground first.

My hope is that an upgrade like this will help me get power to the ground more effectively, so that when I do get a tune and increase the power output, the car will be more manageable and do more than just hop and spin the tires.

·
Registered
256 Posts
From the product page:

The Torque Gusset Front Traction Bar is a fully integrated brace that ties the entire front crossmember to the A arm suspension to cut down on bushing and chassis deflection.

The traction bar only attaches to the A-arm bars to prevent deflection.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Was basically stage 3 without an intercooler and running stratified flash tune. And then went and installed a mountune fmic, a jbr rmm, and a tb gusset bar. So having both a rmm and gusset installed the same time I can’t speak on them independently but before I had bad wheel hop/spin and torque steer that felt like I was gonna go off the road. I literally never went wot in first or second until after. Now it good weather and good road I can take off the line with minor spin in first and little to none in second and shifts and everything feel really smooth now. Way better. I went in on a group buy and got it for like 215 but I would definitely recommend and say it’s well worth the extra $$

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'd say that a rear motor mount, cross-member brace, and the gusset would be your best bet to minimize wheel hop and torque steer for the money.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was basically stage 3 without an intercooler and running stratified flash tune. And then went and installed a mountune fmic, a jbr rmm, and a tb gusset bar. So having both a rmm and gusset installed the same time I can’t speak on them independently but before I had bad wheel hop/spin and torque steer that felt like I was gonna go off the road. I literally never went wot in first or second until after. Now it good weather and good road I can take off the line with minor spin in first and little to none in second and shifts and everything feel really smooth now. Way better. I went in on a group buy and got it for like 215 but I would definitely recommend and say it’s well worth the extra $$
This is what I was hoping to hear, I have the mountune rmm on the way (backordered )so I think that once I get that and the gusset in it’s gonna grip like hell since I’m still on the stock tune.

I’m also considering going doing the rear 2 point brace while I’m at it to help keep the tail end in.

·
Registered
91 Posts
This is what I was hoping to hear, I have the mountune rmm on the way (backordered )so I think that once I get that and the gusset in it’s gonna grip like hell since I’m still on the stock tune.

I’m also considering going doing the rear 2 point brace while I’m at it to help keep the tail end in.

Backorder from mountune? No way 😂😂😂. I waited 2 months for my accessport to come it with the b1 package

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Backorder from mountune? No way . I waited 2 months for my accessport to come it with the b1 package
They said they “accidentally oversold the roll restrictor” and it was estimated to ship in 4 weeks, that was 2 weeks ago. So whatever that really means lmao.

The fulfilled half my order I’m just still waiting on the rmm. It kind of sucks to be honest I probably would have got a different one if I had known.

I hope it doesn’t take 2 months.

·
Registered
256 Posts
That may give you a false sense of stability. It will feel stiffer, but it will make it easier for the back end to let go. You should *know what you're doing* before you do that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
6 Participants
Steve973
Ford Focus ST Forum
We’re the premiere Ford Focus ST forum with discussions on the 2013+ Focus ST. Join the community and see the latest news, photos, videos, classifieds, reviews, events and more!
Full Forum Listing