Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The short version: It's a nice product that definitely helps with torque steer and wheel hop, but does not eliminate the problems completely. I would definitely recommend this product, especially if you have power upgrades. For installation, give yourself as much room as possible.

To give a little background... my car's current power/performance parts include a Depo intake tube, Cobb/Green filter, Depo 3.5" intercooler, and a Stratified flash tune with revisions. As soon as I got the tune, the wheel hop, wheel spin, and torque steer significantly increased. So, my first step was to add a CPE Stage 2 rear motor mount. This definitely helped a lot, but there was still room for improvement.

Next on the list was a TB Performance traction bar. I was one of the lucky individuals to snag one of the traction bars from TB Performance when the new version came out and the old one went on sale (at a great price). I received the product in a little over a week. It seemed sturdy and had a nice (black) finish.

In terms of installation, the main issue for me was room. I ended up starting the work on jack stands. With little room to move a breaker bar, it was difficult to get the leverage to break the bolts loose. Once I got the bolts off, put the bar and bolts on, I lowered the car onto blocks of wood to torque the bolts. Torquing the bolts in this situation was difficult as I now had even less room. I got the job done, but it definitely took WAY longer than it should have.

IMG_1104.JPG

To be honest, I was actually surprised that I definitely noticed a difference driving with the traction bar. I now rarely notice wheel hop (but still definitely hit wheel spin if I push it hard). Torque steer is significantly decreased as well - it happens less often and, when it does happen, it's not as drastic. I can't say that I noticed much of a decrease in vibrations from the motor mount. However, before I even installed the bar, I didn't really notice vibrations except for idling with AC on (and this is still the case).

I would say the product is definitely worth the money, especially if the car has any performance upgrades that increase wheel hop and torque steer. The traction bar did not completely eliminate torque steer or wheel hop. However, every bit counts and this definitely made a difference. I would purchase it again at full price if I didn't get lucky with the sale.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for the review.

Is this bar solid or hollow? Do you know the dimensions? How long was the install and what you would do differently?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah most people have said it's only la 20 minute install. It took much longer for me because that's always how my installs go. If I had more room to work (lifted the car higher) it would have been very easy and quick.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's hollow. Takes longer to jack up the car and take the underpan off than it does to install the bar. 2 bottom a-arm bolts, take them off with an 18mm, re-use them, torque at 125. 15-20 minute install tops (including taking pan off and putting it back on).
Also note that the suspension should be loaded when you torque the bolts back down. Some people said they just put a jack under the control arm, which may have been a better option than what I did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts