Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Like your video's, I've used a handful of them for installs before, and will be using this one. Keep it up!

·
Banned
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like your video's, I've used a handful of them for installs before, and will be using this one. Keep it up!
thank you, I try to keep BS out of my videos and just show logic and facts of life. if something sucks, or is crap, you will hear about it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Nice video, will surely help some people out.

I like what you did with the cowl, I should do that to mine, what exactly keeps the cowl from fitting without cutting? Just that back inch or so?

Just wondering because in your vid it seems to fit up front, which is where I thought the fitment issues would be.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Nice video, will surely help some people out.

I like what you did with the cowl, I should do that to mine, what exactly keeps the cowl from fitting without cutting? Just that back inch or so?

Just wondering because in your vid it seems to fit up front, which is where I thought the fitment issues would be.
Yeah I don't want you to take it off or anything, but if you had some pictures of where you cut I'd like to see them.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
i show it in the video, where to cut.
I watched the beginning and then skimmed through the rest a little, I'll make sure to check that bit out.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Thanks for the vid. I used it for my install/cowl modification. Going to use your rear traction bar video as well. I found the windshield wiper motor install was the worst of it all.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks for the vid. I used it for my install/cowl modification. Going to use your rear traction bar video as well. I found the windshield wiper motor install was the worst of it all.
Yea that was a bit of a pain, I need to look at it again though, I feel like my wipers don't have enough pressure on them now.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Yea that was a bit of a pain, I need to look at it again though, I feel like my wipers don't have enough pressure on them now.
I know somebody in the GB thread did the install by pulling the wiper motors completely off with some gear pullers. He also used longer bolts with washers/nuts. I wonder if that would help reseat them better or relieve some strain off the install. I do feel like the rubber bushings on the motor will bust prematurely though. they just look like they are in an akward position. I haven't really noticed any degradation in wiper performance although the only thing I have used them for so far was to wipe off some morning dew/mist from sprinklers.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I saw that but wasn't going to those lengths to install this, I will look at it sometime, not really an issue as it's been nice here, for now.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
So I used this video to do the installation tonight. I have not cut the cowl, I will do that tomorrow and put it all back together tomorrow. A couple things I wanted to note... 1- My struts moved and I had to take my tires off so I could manipulate it enough to get the holes lined up. Not horrible, but a bit of a pain for sure after watching how smooth @skizzo81 bolts seemed to go in! 2I used different bolts I had around for the wiper part, F spending 20 minutes trying to thread the tiniest part while I try to hold the wiper down with my third hand, made it easy breezy and still allowed me to tighten things up. 3 I have about 1/4-1/2 more thread showing on one side than the other, I figure not a big deal but thought I would mention it before I button up. 4 I am guessing I now need an alignment?

Overall would have been pretty easy with longer bolts for the windshield wiper mount and if my struts didn't move. With those things and not being a pro at all, I am about 1:30 at this point, going to guess another 30 to cut and button up. So 2 hours, which is about what I assumed it would take me.

THANK YOU again Skizzo, your vids are a great help.

Reactions: LeojST

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
So I used this video to do the installation tonight. I have not cut the cowl, I will do that tomorrow and put it all back together tomorrow. A couple things I wanted to note... 1- My struts moved and I had to take my tires off so I could manipulate it enough to get the holes lined up. Not horrible, but a bit of a pain for sure after watching how smooth @skizzo81 bolts seemed to go in! 2I used different bolts I had around for the wiper part, F spending 20 minutes trying to thread the tiniest part while I try to hold the wiper down with my third hand, made it easy breezy and still allowed me to tighten things up. 3 I have about 1/4-1/2 more thread showing on one side than the other, I figure not a big deal but thought I would mention it before I button up. 4 I am guessing I now need an alignment?

Overall would have been pretty easy with longer bolts for the windshield wiper mount and if my struts didn't move. With those things and not being a pro at all, I am about 1:30 at this point, going to guess another 30 to cut and button up. So 2 hours, which is about what I assumed it would take me.

THANK YOU again Skizzo, your vids are a great help.
Are you on stock suspension and struts still moved? Also would like to know if you end up needing an alignment, thanks!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Are you on stock suspension and struts still moved? Also would like to know if you end up needing an alignment, thanks!
Yeah I am still on stock, waiting for my YCW's to come in soon here hopefully. I unbolted the top strut bolts, looked down to start lining up the new bolts and couldn't. I did have my tires at an angle from how I pulled into my garage. This could be the problem? Maybe if I had it all straight before there would have been any pressure to move them?

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Another thanks for the install vid, quick survey of who’s running with or without the lower cowl?
i am running with the modified cowl. i didnt have any issues during the hot texas summer as i never experience any "warmer" temps since some air was being pulled from the engine bay. however, i have noticed since temps cooled down and i have just been running the vent (with cabin circulation off) that the air does start blowing hot if i am at a stoplight too long. i occassionaly get an oil smell as well. this is just a minor nuisance though since its all good to go as soon as i start moving again.

Reactions: Blackula

·
Registered
273 Posts
I ended up cutting up my lower cowl to be able to use it, no real issues that I can tell yet.

You can hear a little more noise from the engine bay and MAYBE some extra smells occasionally but nothing really major to me. All that could be coincidence as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts