Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm ~6'3" and can't seem to find the sweet spot between seat and steering adjustment.

I can't seem to find a comfortable position where I can easily control the clutch for smooth shifts (especially since ours offer almost no feedback), and I have to choose between sore hands from not gripping the steering wheel in the right spot, or having my knee almost contacting the steering column. I'm sure that wouldn't be good in the event of a crash...

Anyone else have these issues?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
So, I'm ~6'3" and can't seem to find the sweet spot between seat and steering adjustment.

I can't seem to find a comfortable position where I can easily control the clutch for smooth shifts (especially since ours offer almost no feedback), and I have to choose between sore hands from not gripping the steering wheel in the right spot, or having my knee almost contacting the steering column. I'm sure that wouldn't be good in the event of a crash...

Anyone else have these issues?
As a 6'1" guy I sit surprisingly close to the wheel and a lot of people get in and put my seat back right away...even if they are much shorter than me. I properly aligned my Recaro seats though based on how they instruct you to. On their website they have a guide for how to do it. You basically put your ass against the back of the seat, slide it forward until your legs are slightly bent when you have the clutch to the floor, then you adjust the angle of the seat until you can touch your shoulders to the seat and touch your wrists to the top of the wheel. It feel perfect now that I'm used to it...but it's more straight up than most people sit. And my legs are close-ish to the wheel...but wouldn't hit anything in a crash. Also it's still far from the wheel so you don't have to worry about airbag hitting you in the face/chest. Maybe try that?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a 6'1" guy I sit surprisingly close to the wheel and a lot of people get in and put my seat back right away...even if they are much shorter than me. I properly aligned my Recaro seats though based on how they instruct you to. On their website they have a guide for how to do it. You basically put your ass against the back of the seat, slide it forward until your legs are slightly bent when you have the clutch to the floor, then you adjust the angle of the seat until you can touch your shoulders to the seat and touch your wrists to the top of the wheel. It feel perfect now that I'm used to it...but it's more straight up than most people sit. And my legs are close-ish to the wheel...but wouldn't hit anything in a crash. Also it's still far from the wheel so you don't have to worry about airbag hitting you in the face/chest. Maybe try that?
I'll give that a whirl. I also have my seat-back set higher than most would. If I were wearing a helmet, it'd touch the headliner!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am 6'3" also and its quite odd. It sit a good bit closer than I have in any car before. Its like the steering wheel is so far away, but the pedals are so close.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I'll give that a whirl. I also have my seat-back set higher than most would. If I were wearing a helmet, it'd touch the headliner!
Yeah mine is actually down almost the whole way I think...I usually don't touch that unless someone else moves it (which makes me quite unhappy lmao).

I am 6'3" also and its quite odd. It sit a good bit closer than I have in any car before. Its like the steering wheel is so far away, but the pedals are so close.
This is an accurate description. I think it's just because us three have long ass legs and average length arms.

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
You know the steering wheel has tilt/telescope right? Just checking.

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
That doesn't make it closer unless it's all the way up...but it might help OP if he has it too far down. That would explain why he said his legs might hit it.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Wait..it DOES telescope? Why have I not been able to figure this out?!

Reactions: elyk864

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Yeah it's like on the bottom right of the column.

Edit: I discovered there is a Youtube vid of it lol

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've had mine for 2 years and I only just found this out about a month ago... dont feel bad lol. Just undo the latch and pull it towards you.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I assume this is the same.for all years? I have a 15...

Sent from Hoth Rebel Base

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
I assume this is the same.for all years? I have a 15...

Sent from Hoth Rebel Base
Yeah I'm pretty sure, it's a standard feature so if it DOESN'T then that's really really odd

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol, yes.

I wish there was a way I could sit comfortably, grip the steering wheel comfortably, AND be able to see the entirety of my gauge cluster...

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Lol, yes.

I wish there was a way I could sit comfortably, grip the steering wheel comfortably, AND be able to see the entirety of my gauge cluster...
Do you know the seat adjusts up and down also right? Just trying to see what I can help with, I am 6' with monkey arms.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you know the seat adjusts up and down also right? Just trying to see what I can help with, I am 6' with monkey arms.
Forward, backward, up, down, and lumbar, got it.

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
Reactions: HBGeek

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Then I'm too far away from the steering wheel. Maybe I just don't fit in this car...
Well other than trying every single seating combination there is while also moving the steering wheel around perhaps you could do a steering wheel swap?

·
Premium Member
3,726 Posts
My helmet almost touches and I'm 5'10". I do have a XXL HJC helmet. Having a large head sucks.
So you ask for size watermelon is what you're saying. lol

Reactions: UnfocusedST
1 - 20 of 43 Posts